By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MS: 360 can match PS3's 3D capabilities!

Squilliam said:
Slimebeast said:
Squilliam said:
disolitude said:

He is correct and slighly wrong at the same time.

360 can technically do exact same 3D as PS3. 1080p image - 720p per eye.

But theoretically PS3 can do 2160p - 1080p per eye due to HDMi 1.3 vs 1.2

However, considering that PS3 and 360 struggle to do a game in 1080p...rendering a game 2160p game is impossible for these consoles...unless that game is pong.

So yes, there is no reason why 360 can't do 3D. Microsoft doesn't sell TVs however, so they really have no reason to push the tech.

It depends on what HDMI spec the Xbox 360 S uses as well. Noone has commented on that as far as im aware.

Hey Squill, can u chime in on the discussion between Disolitude and myself about 3-D and how much computing power it requires? Especially about this split 30fps twice into 15 then to only 8 frames per second which Disloitude claims.

I find it very hard to understand despite his lengthy explanations so maybe it's no point for you to waste time on trying to explain it to met either lol, but maybe u can at least confirm or deny the bolded part?

Well there are many different ways to achieve 3D in games. Some are easy, some are cheap to implement, some are perfect and therefore cost a lot more performance to implement and some are crude and cost even more performance whilst not delivering the best image quality.

The Nvidia method is the crudest and requires the most performance. It can yield 3D on games not originally designed to output like that but it also has quite a few artifaces. Its simply forcing the game to render at a different camera angle at its most basic.

The Killzone 3 method renders the best 3D effect however it costs almost as much performance as the Nvidia method. It requires a scene to be rendered twice as often so the compromise is that they lower the rendering resolution by 1/2 along the horizontal axis. So 1280 by 720 becomes 640 by 720 which makes it the lowest rendering 'HD' console game im aware of in this mode.

The Crysis 2 method is an anaglyph method. It uses the depth buffer and its more efficient in that it costs ~1.4% performance to implement as the game is simply reusing the original 2D image. However it suffers the greatest number of artifacts as one eye can see parts of the scene which are not needed to be rendered in the original 2D version. For example you might only be able to see one side of a fence in 2D however in 3D you might be able to see the other side of the fence so the game must be designed to minimise these artifacts.

So much for that "free lunch" Cervat Yerli has been hyping.

Still, it's impressive that Crytek can get the effect they have for so little overhead. He confirmed that this 3D effect could in fact run on an Xbox 360 and has during testing.

Around the Network
greenmedic88 said:

So much for that "free lunch" Cervat Yerli has been hyping.

Still, it's impressive that Crytek can get the effect they have for so little overhead. He confirmed that this 3D effect could in fact run on an Xbox 360 and has during testing.

All crytek has to do is lower the resolution slightly and then use the excellent upscaller that 360 has to make it look good in 3D. Indie developper made a game on Xbox live that you can play in stereo 3D called 3D Infinity. Its using side by side 3D instead of PS3's over/under...but results are the same. If bunch of Indie guys can do this, Crytek should have no troubles...

Also, there really isn't anything impressive about 3D running on 360 if its running on PS3. Consoles have very similar 3D capabilities. In fact Xbox has an advantage...

360's embedded 10MB ram help it greatly when it comes to frame buffers which is what 3D essentially is. Video card is also better on the 360 and unified ram doesn't hurt either. All of those things are essential for 3D gaming much more than raw CPU processing. When I game in 3D on the PC, my vide card is running 95% of its capacity, while my cpu is idling at like3 0%...

The only advantage PS3 had for 3D is that it had HDMI 1.3 since that can push 1080p 3D badwith while Xbox has 1.2 which can push 720p 3D max, but considering that 3D on PS3 is locked to 1280x720 @60hz, that does not matter anymore.

I said it before...Microsoft has no money to mke off 3D right now and that is the only reason they are not pushing it.

superchunk said:

Basically they both can give you the same result when you take into account the actual 3D technology and capabilites of the consoles.

I still think people are stupid to consider jumping into this tech now. Its just a poor implementation and will cost WAY to much for a meager visual enhancement on a tiny amount of media.

This same idea is why I waited until this year to buy a HDTV.

I'll wait until 2012 or 2015 when 3D tv's either use a passive system with cheap glasses or have a full glassless option.

Well you were forced to buy an HDTV since its the only thing they make now.  

Squilliam said:
Slimebeast said:
Squilliam said:
disolitude said:

However, considering that PS3 and 360 struggle to do a game in 1080p...rendering a game 2160p game is impossible for these consoles...unless that game is pong.

So yes, there is no reason why 360 can't do 3D. Microsoft doesn't sell TVs however, so they really have no reason to push the tech.

It depends on what HDMI spec the Xbox 360 S uses as well. Noone has commented on that as far as im aware.

Hey Squill, can u chime in on the discussion between Disolitude and myself about 3-D and how much computing power it requires? Especially about this split 30fps twice into 15 then to only 8 frames per second which Disloitude claims.

I find it very hard to understand despite his lengthy explanations so maybe it's no point for you to waste time on trying to explain it to met either lol, but maybe u can at least confirm or deny the bolded part?

The Crysis 2 method is an anaglyph method. It uses the depth buffer and its more efficient in that it costs ~1.4% performance to implement as the game is simply reusing the original 2D image. However it suffers the greatest number of artifacts as one eye can see parts of the scene which are not needed to be rendered in the original 2D version. For example you might only be able to see one side of a fence in 2D however in 3D you might be able to see the other side of the fence so the game must be designed to minimise these artifacts.

Great post and Im learning new stuff lol but it still dont answer the framrate drops.

So lets concentrate at this part of your post for simplicity. Let's pretend the 2-D version of Crysis 2 on consoles is 30 frames per second. Now, what happens after the ~1.4% performance loss (which is insignificant, pretty much 0%)? Will the PS3 or X360 still output 30 fps in the 3-D version or is it 60fps?

dirkd2323 said:

MS can say what ever they want, we will see, Also its not that the PS3 can't handle, or has a hard time handeling 1080p games, its the cost, developers don't want to spend the extra money, thats all it is.

Your very much wrong. Both the 360 and the PS3 have a VERY difficult time doing games in 1080p. They both lack the necessary amount of ram (among other things).

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
Squilliam said:
Slimebeast said:
Squilliam said:
disolitude said:

Great post and Im learning new stuff lol but it still dont answer the framrate drops.

So lets concentrate at this part of your post for simplicity. Let's pretend the 2-D version of Crysis 2 on consoles is 30 frames per second. Now, what happens after the ~1.4% performance loss (which is insignificant, pretty much 0%)? Will the PS3 or X360 still output 30 fps in the 3-D version or is it 60fps?

It means that each eye would get 29.6 frames per second from 30FPS (note often the framerate is higher than the capped 30FPS) because they use the data from the Z buffer (distance into the screeen) to compute what the other eye can see as two eyes will see roughly the same picture.

Say frame A is left and frame B is right with each number in sequence being the next whole frame.

What Killzone 3 does is roughly: Compute A, Compute B, A1, B1 etc. in sequence as if they are original frames.

What Crysis 2 does is roughly: Compute A -> Infer B, Compute A1, Infer B1 so it only computes frames at the normal rate and not the double rate of other implementations like Killzone 3. This is possible because what A sees is pretty much nearly identical and often is identical to what B sees. However its not perfect and it does cause artifacts.

Tease.

since it is only compatible with the sony bravia tv's couldnt it also be possible to take a 1080p 30fps stream, and through a processing unit on the tv double the framerate while using the shuttering effect? Wouldnt it be the same as the motion flow tech in the current bravias? then there would be less impact on system performance.

to better demonstrate

1080p 30fps - ps3 output -> 1080 60fps tv motionflow -> 720p 30fps 3d output.

resolution would be halfed without a framerate drop.

Squilliam said:
Slimebeast said:
Squilliam said:
Slimebeast said:
Squilliam said:
disolitude said:

It means that each eye would get 29.6 frames per second from 30FPS (note often the framerate is higher than the capped 30FPS) because they use the data from the Z buffer (distance into the screeen) to compute what the other eye can see as two eyes will see roughly the same picture.

Say frame A is left and frame B is right with each number in sequence being the next whole frame.

What Killzone 3 does is roughly: Compute A, Compute B, A1, B1 etc. in sequence as if they are original frames.

What Crysis 2 does is roughly: Compute A -> Infer B, Compute A1, Infer B1 so it only computes frames at the normal rate and not the double rate of other implementations like Killzone 3. This is possible because what A sees is pretty much nearly identical and often is identical to what B sees. However its not perfect and it does cause artifacts.

I am trying to draw conclusions. Good.

In the KZ2 (or KZ3) example. Lets say the 2-d version is 30fps. WIll the end result be that the PS3 outputs 30 frames per second (every other frame is meant for separate eyes, but that's something for the shutter glasses to sort out)? And the gamer will experience it as 15 frames per second since every other frame is blocked for one eye?

Now Disolutiude mentioned the framebuffer and double resolution in the 3-D version and that could explain why he talked about 8 frames per second per eye, but in my eyes that's practically the same thing because the end result is the same - the viewer gets his framerate halved due to 3-D.

Slimebeast said:

I am trying to draw conclusions. Good.

In the KZ2 (or KZ3) example. Lets say the 2-d version is 30fps. WIll the end result be that the PS3 outputs 30 frames per second (every other frame is meant for separate eyes, but that's something for the shutter glasses to sort out)? And the gamer will experience it as 15 frames per second since every other frame is blocked for one eye?

Now Disolutiude mentioned the framebuffer and double resolution in the 3-D version and that could explain why he talked about 8 frames per second per eye, but in my eyes that's practically the same thing because the end result is the same - the viewer gets his framerate halved due to 3-D.

In simplest terms its like this.

Killzone 3 (2D) = 1280 by 720 resolution at 30 frames per second.

Killzone 3 (3D) = 640 by 720 resolution at 30 frames per second each eye. So half the resolution but twice as often considering you need one unique frame per eye.

So the experienced framerate of each is the same, its just that in the case of 3D imagine that its outputting the image on two seperate TVs each running at 30 frames per second. So the TV on the left is the left eye and it has a slightly different view to the TV on the right for your right eye.

How this works with shutter glasses is like this:

Eye 1: Frame - Blank - Frame - Blank - Frame - Blank - Frame - Blank

Eye 2: Blank - Frame - Blank - Frame - Blank - Frame - Blank - Frame

Where blank = no light allowed due to the shutters being closed and Frame = whatever needs to be displayed. It works the same way as a CFL light bulb does, it doesn't offer continous light but an illusion of it which gives you the 3D effect.

Tease.

Joelcool7 said:

I think its wise for Microsoft not to invest in 3D right off the bat. I have a feeling consumers are not ready for 3D. The adoption rate will be low just think about it a second I for one will not be buying a 3D TV just got my HDTV last year and with 3DS I have to ask the question will glasses 3D be around too much longer?

Not to mention the cost fact at least 1,300$ TV plus addition 200$ glasses for everyone wanting to watch. Geez how many consumers can afford this? I don't think the adoption rate will be high enough for at least 2-3 years!

Your have a good point,I think he was saying there just going to take a wait and see approach on 3D.