By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is It Possible For GT5 To OutSell Halo Reach Lifetime?...I Think So!

thismeintiel said:
yo_john117 said:
thismeintiel said:
yo_john117 said:
thismeintiel said:
Halo_Reach said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
mundus6 said:
Halo_Reach said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Halo_Reach said:

How do you know what Halo 3's pre-orders were in America?   

And even if what you say is true then you must mean 12 weeks and not 5.....and trust me its gonna sell 650k pre-orders in 12 weaks EASY.

Because MS announced on Aug. 9th '07 that pre-orders for Halo 3 had hit 1 mil in America.  This was 7 weeks from launch.  So for Reach to hit this milestone it will have to get ~ 616K pre-orders in the next 5 weeks.  Sorry, but I just don't see that happening.  And I meant 6 weeks in my previous post.

Damn how many pre-orders were there for Halo 3?!?!  

Can I have a link please?  Cause that would've meant Halo 3 had almost 2 million pre-orders and should have sold as much as MW2 first week

http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/128448/halo-3-breaks-pre-order-records-at-1-million-sold/

I don't recall a final number of pre-orders, but I would imagine it would have been between 1.5 mil and 1.8 mil (MW2) by the time of release.

Thats weird that Halo 3 had just about as many pre-orders as MW2 but sold over 1 million worse.

Around the Network

Very interesting thread, i wont say which game will sell more only time can tell that but one important factor that a lot of people keep leaving out when comparing the two is the fact that GT covers all demographics, age, gender etc... While Halo is strictly a "gamer's" game GT covers a way larger demographic, from casual gamers to Sim racing fans, to the hardcore ones that bought/will buy a ps3 just to play GT to car enthusiasts to people that will just buy the game because of how it looks, its just one of those must have titles whether or not you buy it on launch day or 3 years later in the bargain bin. Thats why GT games have such long legs, it has very little to do wtih install base or racing genre trends, so to try to predict how GT will sell based on previous GTs or PS3s install base or on how previous PS3 games have done would be a bit misleading.

That being said both games are flagship titles for their respective consoles and I think both games will sell very well and i think its even more impressive to see Halo sell that much while it covers such a small demographic but like many said in this thread, this gen is a "shooter" gen.

Most of the threads here are comparing with mostly baseless accusations. The biggest PS3 exclusive so far is MGS4 which stands at 4.81m which is not too far from its highest cousin from PS2, MGS2:Sons of L at 5.58m. You can see a significant drop of around 700k which can be attributed to the smaller PS3 base. The games which have crossed the 10m mark on the PS2 are the GT and GTA series. These are the only games thus it would come as no surprise that GT5 will easily make its most likely higest debut too. Thus it is useless saying that the biggest PS3 exclusive has not pass the 10m mark since they are not even near the 10m mark even during their PS2 era. Take away Halo 3 and Xbox 360 will not have its own exclusive which has passed the 10m mark too. Both are flagship titles and will easily do 10m and more.

Halo is Xbox's flagship and is a FPS which appeals to NA a lot, thus Halo 3 crossin the 10m is not surprising. However Reach is not a main series. Its hype and preorders are nowhere near Halo 3. And Halo has been released on Xbox 360 before thus there are no huge anticipation in waiting for Halo to reach the new console generation as it did with Halo 3. I am not lambasting Halo but from a logical point, it stands that Reach will do fairly well in the millions region but just not as well as GT5.

Similarly, GT is Sony's flagship but it appeals to not just a core demographic but rather a broad range of consumers since it is a racing and simulation genre.  GT5 is also the first in the series to be released on the PS3, being in HD and 3D and having the largest base of vehicles and labels yet. And the most valid point, not only NA is huge on GT, but so is Japan and Europe. This is where GT has an advantage over Halo. If you take a look, every new series in the GT on a new Sony platform has performed huge. If it is a 2nd outing on the same platform, sales drops significantly in NA but actually rises in Japan and EU. And you just need to take a look at GT5:P. A prologue version has sold almost 4m excluding digital sales. Having it cross 10m is not even surprising but a given.

Comparing Reach to GT5 is like comparing GT5:P to Halo 3. Get the parallel comparison for those who dont really get it ? Or rather, its like comparing GT PSP to Halo Reach and I am saying GT PSP will sell more than Halo Reach.

Yuyyder said:

Most of the threads here are comparing with mostly baseless accusations. The biggest PS3 exclusive so far is MGS4 which stands at 4.81m which is not too far from its highest cousin from PS2, MGS2:Sons of L at 5.58m. You can see a significant drop of around 700k which can be attributed to the smaller PS3 base. The games which have crossed the 10m mark on the PS2 are the GT and GTA series. These are the only games thus it would come as no surprise that GT5 will easily make its most likely higest debut too. Thus it is useless saying that the biggest PS3 exclusive has not pass the 10m mark since they are not even near the 10m mark even during their PS2 era. Take away Halo 3 and Xbox 360 will not have its own exclusive which has passed the 10m mark too. Both are flagship titles and will easily do 10m and more.

Halo is Xbox's flagship and is a FPS which appeals to NA a lot, thus Halo 3 crossin the 10m is not surprising. However Reach is not a main series. Its hype and preorders are nowhere near Halo 3. And Halo has been released on Xbox 360 before thus there are no huge anticipation in waiting for Halo to reach the new console generation as it did with Halo 3. I am not lambasting Halo but from a logical point, it stands that Reach will do fairly well in the millions region but just not as well as GT5.

Similarly, GT is Sony's flagship but it appeals to not just a core demographic but rather a broad range of consumers since it is a racing and simulation genre.  GT5 is also the first in the series to be released on the PS3, being in HD and 3D and having the largest base of vehicles and labels yet. And the most valid point, not only NA is huge on GT, but so is Japan and Europe. This is where GT has an advantage over Halo. If you take a look, every new series in the GT on a new Sony platform has performed huge. If it is a 2nd outing on the same platform, sales drops significantly in NA but actually rises in Japan and EU. And you just need to take a look at GT5:P. A prologue version has sold almost 4m excluding digital sales. Having it cross 10m is not even surprising but a given.

Comparing Reach to GT5 is like comparing GT5:P to Halo 3. Get the parallel comparison for those who dont really get it ? Or rather, its like comparing GT PSP to Halo Reach and I am saying GT PSP will sell more than Halo Reach.

this i agree with

Yuyyder said:

LMAO no its not!  Halo Reach is tracking slightly below MW2 (360 version) for pre-orders and we all know how good that game sold.  

Now I'm not saying Reach will sell as well as MW2 but it will sell EXTREMELY well (at least 9-10 million)

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
Halo_Reach said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
mundus6 said:
Halo_Reach said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Halo_Reach said:

lol at ANYONE that thinks  gt5 will outsell Halo Reach...literally LOL

lol at any one who thinks halo reach will outsell Gran Turismo 5

one jan 1st 2011 i will make damn sure to bump this and laugh at you for being delusional, as most playstation fans are...and guess what you will be nowhere to be found, after first week sales of Halo reach top 4 million, which will be enough to eclipse the entire rest of the year for gt5...then Halo reach finishes 2010 with over 7 million which gt5 will NEVER reach...so you will see, and then i will get the last laugh

Not agreeing with your post at all, but Halo Reach week one sales will top 5 million at least.

no they won't

if they launch on mondat then they can but not normally.if games like GTA SAN ANDREAS and MW2 couldn't do it HALO wouldn't

check this out, first 2 weeks of Halo Reach, that way it WILL have a full week plus the first partial week, will total 6 million worldwide, I am willing to go out on a pretty big limb and say 9 million worldwide when first week of 2011 reports, what you say to that?

I say check the pre-order charts again.  Last week's report marked the 4th straight decline in pre-oreders per week.  It had less than 25K.  To match the pre-order numbers of Halo 3, it will have to gain 650.4K pre-orders in the next 5 weeks.  I highly doubt that will happen.  Something tells me that 8-9 mil may be the Reach's lifetime sales.

do u really think its going to sell less then 3.8 million copies first week, because i say 4.2 mininum

Halo MCC will sell 5+ million copies(including digital)

halo 5 will sell 10 million copies(including digital)

x1 will pass ps4 in USA, and UK.

yo_john117 said:
thismeintiel said:
yo_john117 said:
thismeintiel said:
yo_john117 said:
thismeintiel said:
Halo_Reach said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
mundus6 said:
Halo_Reach said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Halo_Reach said:

How do you know what Halo 3's pre-orders were in America?   

And even if what you say is true then you must mean 12 weeks and not 5.....and trust me its gonna sell 650k pre-orders in 12 weaks EASY.

Because MS announced on Aug. 9th '07 that pre-orders for Halo 3 had hit 1 mil in America.  This was 7 weeks from launch.  So for Reach to hit this milestone it will have to get ~ 616K pre-orders in the next 5 weeks.  Sorry, but I just don't see that happening.  And I meant 6 weeks in my previous post.

Damn how many pre-orders were there for Halo 3?!?!  

Can I have a link please?  Cause that would've meant Halo 3 had almost 2 million pre-orders and should have sold as much as MW2 first week

http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/128448/halo-3-breaks-pre-order-records-at-1-million-sold/

I don't recall a final number of pre-orders, but I would imagine it would have been between 1.5 mil and 1.8 mil (MW2) by the time of release.

Thats weird that Halo 3 had just about as many pre-orders as MW2 but sold over 1 million worse.

i think its because the differance in install base. when halo 3 launched there were like 18 million consoles and when MW2 like 40. so most likly if halo reach were to pre-order a little less then 3 it will still probably outsell it first week

Halo MCC will sell 5+ million copies(including digital)

halo 5 will sell 10 million copies(including digital)

x1 will pass ps4 in USA, and UK.

yo_john117 said:

Its not wierd with double install base... Halo Reach will sell faster than Halo 3, its pretty much a fact by now. Will it sell better than MW2 though (360 version)? I think so.

selnor said:
ultraslick said:

Halo Reach could outsell it, COULD. but it wont

If the game was called Halo 4, I still dont think it would.

I understand that many of you may be 16 year old shooter fans who roar with every thing that is halo. Loving your head sets and mountain dew halo parties, completely oblivious to anything else. You and all of your friends play only halo and COD, and that is fine.

but just know, when compared to GT fans WW, YOU are the minority.

Gran Turismo 5 will outsell any 1 Microsoft exclusive game ever, and become the largest selling HD console exclusive this gen in my opinion.

I will bet you my account access it doesn't. I will forfeit my account to you if GT5 sells more than Reach. Your dreaming alot here.

PS doesnt have the name in the US it needs to get close. ALL GT games sell 50% of the sales in US. Where 360 is killing it by over 10m consoles. 

GT5 selling more than Reach is fiction.

Correction:

.PS doesnt have the name in the US it needs to get close. ALL GT games sell 30% of the sales in US. Where 360 is killing it by over 10m consoles.

Now, i'll tell you, what happens in Europe:

.Xbox doesnt have the name in Europe it needs to get close. ALL Halo games sell 40% of the sales in Europe. Where Ps3 is killing it by over 500k consoles...

difference is....that Halo games sell the same amount of copies in Europe as Gran Turismo in the US...and, Gran Turismo sells the same numbers in Europe as Halo in the US...where's the key factor? Japan.

NOW i take that bet sir.

I'm Back! - Proud owner of the best doomed handheld of all time!

to bad hes banned that would be a cool bet to win id take it if i was you war machine, doubt he'll accpet it though

Play Me