By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - I *HATE* 3D glasses and so should you

PSP2 and next sony ericson phone will probably be glassless 3d. knowing sony.

Around the Network
twesterm said:

Right now it only allows a single viewer but advances can be made.

If we steer our 3D technology to be dependent on glasses, we're always going to be dependent on the glasses.  If we steer our technology towards not using glasses, we'll find new solutions without glasses.  It's not something we can do right now and it's something I doubt we'll do soon, but it's still the better direction.

It's not about steering: they are profoundly different, both will evolve. LCD screens evolved in parallel to plasma ones. Only when one will be good enough at most the other does will the loser be totally replaced.

An auto stereoscopic 3D system sends out the two different images in two different directions. There could be multiple fixed points of correct vision, but an emitted  light ray is an emitted light ray: if your naked left eye intercepts a ray that was meant for your right eye you see it all wrong (flat or even 3d-reversed).

Thus any tech that will send out the images directionally regardless of the users positioning will always have troubles compared to one that has both images sent in every direction and filtering on receiving. The only way out is that the emitter knows the position of the watchers' eyes, through something like head tracking, and is able to adjust its occlusion or lenticular system to send the correct angles towards all viewers, which would be an extremely complicated achievement.

We might get there one day in ten years, and still for the time being the best solution for a home theater where several people can shift and move could still be glass based, thus the investments in this tech could still have value and benefit for the users.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

as someone who has glasses anyway, that I actually need in order to you know, see things properly, I hate 3D glasses with a passion, you think they are uncomfortable for people without glasses? imagine what its like for us, they are fiddly, awkward, they wont stay on and they are very uncomfortable, I am boycotting ALL 3D that requires them.

heck, its campaign time!

add this to your sig: I'm Boycotting All 3D Whilst They Require You To Wear Those Awful Glasses.

Rabble rabble rabble!

Same old, move along. I don't know when I'll buy into 3D, but I know I want it, regardless of glasses. And besides, it's not like strides towards glassesfree 3D TVs aren't being made. This solution of Microsoft's allows two people to watch stereoscopic video on the same TV (it isn't finished, so the quality isn't nearly there, but you get the idea): http://www.technologyreview.com/video/?vid=579

It supports four viewers for normal TV, so four people can sit around and watch four different show on the same TV, at the same time.

Graphics in Toy story 3 were amazing.  People love digital 3d crispness.  Yet to be seen if people will love  low resolution psp jagged graphics in their face.

Repent or be destroyed

Around the Network

there are multiple technologies, one with glasses which is argubly better, another without glasses, where you have to stand directly in front of the screen for it to work.

CommunistHater said:

Graphics in Toy story 3 were amazing.  People love digital 3d crispness.  Yet to be seen if people will love  low resolution psp jagged graphics in their face.

The response to the 3DS has been almost uniformally positive, that's not "yet to be seen".

The issue of comfort with 3d glasses cannot be decided upon a visit to the cinema. The glasses they give you are one size fits all so they are not really designed for physical comfort because they can't be possibly close in comfort compared to glasses you would buy.

I guess if you got some for home, I would hope there is some variation in size and width.

Of course, people who already wear seeing glasses - yep that's a big problem, I would imagine.

Lol at the 3DS being given as the answer to this  problem - hardcore, or even most who frequent the picture house want more than a six inch screen and some feeble speakers.

I agree though, I hate glasses and can't see myself going 3D anytime soon.

WereKitten said:
twesterm said:

Right now it only allows a single viewer but advances can be made.

If we steer our 3D technology to be dependent on glasses, we're always going to be dependent on the glasses.  If we steer our technology towards not using glasses, we'll find new solutions without glasses.  It's not something we can do right now and it's something I doubt we'll do soon, but it's still the better direction.

It's not about steering: they are profoundly different, both will evolve. LCD screens evolved in parallel to plasma ones. Only when one will be good enough at most the other does will the loser be totally replaced.

An auto stereoscopic 3D system sends out the two different images in two different directions. There could be multiple fixed points of correct vision, but an emitted  light ray is an emitted light ray: if your naked left eye intercepts a ray that was meant for your right eye you see it all wrong (flat or even 3d-reversed).

Thus any tech that will send out the images directionally regardless of the users positioning will always have troubles compared to one that has both images sent in every direction and filtering on receiving. The only way out is that the emitter knows the position of the watchers' eyes, through something like head tracking, and is able to adjust its occlusion or lenticular system to send the correct angles towards all viewers, which would be an extremely complicated achievement.

We might get there one day in ten years, and still for the time being the best solution for a home theater where several people can shift and move could still be glass based, thus the investments in this tech could still have value and benefit for the users.

Is this true? That the TV needs some sort of head/eye tracking to determine the proper position where to send the rays?

If so, you are right - glassless 3-D on big screen TVs will take at least 10 years.

And if so, I think I am going to make the investment and buy a 3-D tv within a year.