By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - I *HATE* 3D glasses and so should you

So I saw Toy Story 3 tonight and it lived up to my very high expectations.  Everything about the movie was incredible, even the 3D.  It wasn't one of those movies that had to shove the 3D in your face because it could, it did it tastefully and it was better for it.

My only negative for the movie was the 3D glasses themselves.

As long as these glasses are the standard for 3D gaming and movies (other than the 3DS of course), I just won't buy into them.  The glasses are uncomfortable, they're expensive, they're inconvenient, and they smudge without any effort what-so-ever.

First off, the glasses just aren't comfortable to wear.  I really don't care that I look like a jackass in them but they aren't comfortable on the nose and the ears.  I'm completely conscious of them during the entire movie and it just takes away from the experience.  I suppose if I had 3D at home I could buy the $100+ glasses but that's just stupid and still doesn't solve the problem movie theater glasses suck.  I wouldn't even be able to bring my own glasses to the movie theater since the manager made a point of telling the audience before the movie started that the glasses at the theater would not work at home and I assume home ones wouldn't work there.

Luckily I had my contacts in this morning but my wife and another friend with me?  No so lucky.  Not only do they have to deal with all the other problems, they had to deal with those shitty glasses over their normal glasses.

Finally, those glasses smudge with no effort.  The first pair of glasses I was given had a giant scratch on the lens from someone trying to clean them and the next pair I got was still smudged.  Just like the fact the glasses aren't comfortable, you're completely aware of those smudges the entire movie.  Even at home these things are a pain to clean and a single random touch will instantly smudge them.

So yeah, until we can make 3D without glasses the norm, 3D is a complete waste of time.  Anyone who thinks they like wearing those God-awful glasses just really hasn't thought about it enough.  3D effects can be pretty cool but the negatives of those things far outweigh the positives.

Around the Network

Don't watch it in 3D then or wait for the Nintendo 3DS version of the movie.

Man there's just so many ways 3DS is going to rock. Not only 3D games without glasses, but 3D movies without glasses too. Awesome.

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

^^

Well, no offence to the great N device, but watching Avatar on a 3DS screen won't exactly be like watching it on a big screen. Hands-on reports of 3D movies on the 3DS have said that the effect is there, but really muted.

And sadly the auto-stereoscopic tech used in the 3DS can't work on a big screen with multiple viewers.

Bottomline, we're still waiting for a real glass-free solution to experience 3D cinema properly.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

WereKitten said:

^^

Well, no offence to the great N device, but watching Avatar on a 3DS screen won't exactly be like watching it on a big screen. Hands-on reports of 3D movies on the 3DS have said that the effect is there, but really muted.

And sadly the auto-stereoscopic tech used in the 3DS can't work on a big screen with multiple viewers.

Bottomline, we're still waiting for a real glass-free solution to experience 3D cinema properly.

Yeah, I believe the 3DS is an excellent step in the right direction, but I'm not ready to declare the end all solution (yet).  I think both have their major flaws.  Neither situation, watching Avatar with glasses or watching Avatar on a 3.5" screen, is really the better solution.

The key difference is that the 3DS is moving in the correct direction: one that doesn't need glasses.

Around the Network
twesterm said:

Yeah, I believe the 3DS is an excellent step in the right direction, but I'm not ready to declare the end all solution (yet).  I think both have their major flaws.  Neither situation, watching Avatar with glasses or watching Avatar on a 3.5" screen, is really the better solution.

The key difference is that the 3DS is moving in the correct direction: one that doesn't need glasses.

It's also one that only allows a single viewer, so it's a step in the correct direction in one regard, a step backwards in another.

It's basically a parallel tech with its own pros and cons, better for the single user consumption, but not for a real home theater.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

WereKitten said:
twesterm said:

It's also one that only allows a single viewer, so it's a step in the correct direction in one regard, a step backwards in another.

It's basically a parallel tech with its own pros and cons, better for the single user consumption, but not for a real home theater.

Right now it only allows a single viewer but advances can be made.

If we steer our 3D technology to be dependent on glasses, we're always going to be dependent on the glasses.  If we steer our technology towards not using glasses, we'll find new solutions without glasses.  It's not something we can do right now and it's something I doubt we'll do soon, but it's still the better direction.

I have this strange feeling this thread wouldn't exist if sony had a glasses-less system and nintendo had a glasses needed system. 

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

leatherhat said:

I have this strange feeling this thread wouldn't exist if sony had a glasses-less system and nintendo had a glasses needed system. 

I've been saying I hate the 3D glasses since before anyone knew about the 3DS and long before Sony went on its 3D kick.  Nice try though.

twesterm said:
leatherhat said:

I've been saying I hate the 3D glasses since before anyone knew about the 3DS and long before Sony went on its 3D kick.  Nice try though.

I do try

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype