By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda was pushed back to refine visual style, says Shigeru Miyamoto!

theprof00 said:

I was right. 2011. Eat it.

I also predicted that they would give some excuse to make you think like they really should take the extra time.

The artwork is great though. I'm not too into it, but I can tell quality when I see it.

And what does he mean by impressionism, low res and scribbly? I didn't see anything like that in the demo.

True. But I would rather have a game that the designer feels is truly done rather than one that is rushed out to meet a holiday deadline knowing that it will sell regardless. (This is one advantage the Wii has with older technology  -- since its games can't be patched, you have to get them right the first time, or else).

And as a consolation prize, we get Donkey Kong and Kirby.

Not too shabby.

But kudos for getting it right -- and we should eat some "crow."

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network
MrT-Tar said:
Soriku said:

The reply is absolutely correct

Seconded.

People always, ALWAYS find reasons to complain. Zelda's have always changed, every game. Zelda 2 is different from the first, the LttP is different from 2, then Awakening is different from LttP. OoT was VERY different from Awakening, and Majora's is different too. And everyone loves them in the end.

Personally, I really love the approach Nintendo is taking with this game. I'll just add a bit of post processing, a framebuffer effect or something, like a canvas texture to the screen or something. I'm sure they'll add something like that with the extra time.

Early 2011 better be Early 2011, though. I'm going to Japan in April.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I liked the art style but the game looks too unpolished.

I really went from wanting this game, to being blah the second I saw those screenshots. I hate cellshading type graphics with a passion.

Around the Network

I`m mixed on the art, colour palette is a bit to much on the brighter end of the colour spectrum and I prefer the darker shades that have been in most Zelda games, but that's preference.   The game's tech on the other hand is awful, characers and enemies are good but the backgrounds are atrocious, almost as bad as n64 games with their flat polygons and textures, even the texture work is pretty bland.  I wish they had used Twilight Princess' engine game would be looking a lot better as it is.  But game has a lot of time, hopefully they can get they're tech up and really push the Wii and make it smoke.

Slimebeast said:
theprof00 said:

Oh, is this in the new zelda? well never mind then, he's right.

I hate it. This style has nothing to do with a Zelda game.

I don't understand how anyone can "hate" that awesome piece of art.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

darthdevidem01 said:

WInd Waker > Twilight Princess

So this style is kinda like a mixture of both which is good for me because I liked WInd Waker much mroe than TP, but I am glad its also got some unique touches of its own.

Honestly it looks really good and has lots of potential, the game is almost a year away from release give them time.

Calling it a mixture is probably right. But for me:

Twilight Princess > Wind Waker

For me a Zelda game has to have a very dark atmosphere, which OoT and TP obviously had. WW was just a bit to "light" and "happy" IMO, but it was overall a very good game of course. And regarding Skyward Sword I see the light and happy atmosphere returning...

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

so they could have had the game before with a far better engine?

why nintendo?

morenoingrato said:

so they could have had the game before with a far better engine?

You misspelled "inferior."