By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda was pushed back to refine visual style, says Shigeru Miyamoto!

Qays said:

Real, like most words in the English language, has multiple shades of meaning. It can mean "existent, corporeal". It can also mean "genuine, authentic". I leave it to you to decide which was my intent.

This new way of playing Zelda seems like a pain in the ass.

Well if you can't be arsed of doing more than just button pressing, then yes it's going to be a pain for you.

Too bad though, it looks really fun. I know I will enjoy it.

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:

@Slimbeast

I think khuutra's the biggest Zelda fan on this site.

Myak-04 said:
Slimebeast said:
Myak-04 said:

Soooooooo... you regret not play Wind Waker because you initially hated the art style, and yet you are doing the same for Skyward Sword. 

Awesome!

Exactly. I never learn.

You ... agree??? Ummm... okay then ... this rarely happens in forums. 

XD...Lol, anyway, have you tried searching for Wind Waker on ebay? I just ordered a copy, should be here soon :D. 

Í don't buy on Ebay cos Im afraid of being ripped off. But the last time I checked out the used market here in Sweden and they wanted at least $50 for a Wind Waker copy that was far from being in best shape.

AlkamistStar said:

I'm not a fan of the art style at all, i've grown up with Nintendo because of Zelda, and Metroid mainly (could care less for Mario after Mario 64). I would've loved to see a mature art style. Zelda at it's root is a dark story line, and this art style just dumbs it down for kids. I'm in no way doubting the game though, i'm sure the story will be awesome, and the gameplay unique as it always is, but it's just not an impactful series to me now that i'm older and have seen the games get more "kiddie".

Bottom line, i wish Nintendo (or better yet Shigeru Miyamoto) allowed Zelda to grow along with it's fans. When i first picked up Zelda i was about 6 years old, im 24 this year and the series hasn't seemed to change, or "grow" with me, it's the same gig with a different top.

To be fair, you know absolutely nothing about the game other than its art style and control method. For all you know the game might be a different experience from past Zelda games.

Speaking of Windwaker, does anybody else have the 2-disc version that includes Ocarina of Time/Master Quest in the same package?

Around the Network
Cactus said:

Speaking of Windwaker, does anybody else have the 2-disc version that includes Ocarina of Time/Master Quest in the same package?

I used to have it, but then I loaned it to a friend of mine at school and never got it back T_T. 

Then after many years, I decided to buy it from Ebay... only to give it to my friend for her birthday, because somebody broke into her house and stole her copy (plus, many other things) . 

:D And now I have yet another copy on its way now. 

XD 

Khuutra said:
Onyxmeth said:
Khuutra said:

Well there is an independent games shop not far from here where I could probably find it fast...

You really should. It adds a lot of cool elements to the series. The puzzles are based on your shrinking and growing. There's tons of things to collect in the game. Massive amounts of secrets. It's really not a game you should be passing by.

All right. Next time I'm in that area I'll go have a look. They might have Oracle of Ages, while I'm there...

I will echo Onyx here; You really should play The Minish Cap. It is in many ways my favorite 2D Zelda.

Granted, the game it is not nearly as open ended as many of the older titles, but it offers new and intriguing experiences at every turn. Combat is very complex and rewarding for a 2D title - it obviously had an effect on the system used Twilight Princess - and the various items are original and well implemented. It has a unique fairytale atmosphere and great art. Great music, too. I'm also of the opinion that it is the only Zelda (with the possible exception of Majora's Mask) that handles the 'lategame' perfectly, finding a balance between exploration and rewards (I love the sound test). I really can't recomend it enough.

Plus, as I mentioned, Fujibayashi is a great worldbuilder. He is the only Zelda developer whose games have a clear sense of continuity or 'spiritual sucession'. You might appreciate some aspects of titles such as Phantom Hourglass more, as I did, if you played his other games. Hopefully, the same holds true for Skyward Sword.

Kage848 said:
MrT-Tar said:
Soriku said:

The reply is absolutely correct

Gamers really are the worst. No one liked WW. I know I didn't, too cute for me.

Then they make TP....I was shocked to find that no one liked that either and there was a groundswell of fondness for WW. WTF really??? Um ok.

Now they mix the WW and TP into a nice mix...Now no one likes SS, eventhough its not even out yet.

Nintendo, just make what ever fucking game you like and fuck the gamers. Do you're best and just make the best game you can.

BTW I liked TP but the Wii's lack of power made that game look less then stellar. It's going to seem very dated very soon, if not already. But WW, eventhough i cant stand the cuteness, will look great FOREVER! And so will SS.

It's more like:

Make Ocarina of time. Everyone likes it.
Make Ocarine of time:MajorasMask. Everyone likes it, but feel need for something different.
Make WW. Everyone hated it.
Make Ocarina of time:Twilight Princess. Everyone hates it. So tired of Ocarina of time, now thankful for having something different in Wind Waker.
Make Ocarina of time:Skyward Sword. Everyone hates it. So tired of Ocarina of time, now just thankful for having an artstyle change.

That's how I see it.

theprof00 said:

It's more like:

Make Ocarine of time:MajorasMask. Everyone likes it, but feel need for something different.
Make Ocarina of time:Twilight Princess. Everyone hates it. So tired of Ocarina of time, now thankful for having something different in Wind Waker.
Make Ocarina of time:Skyward Sword. Everyone hates it. So tired of Ocarina of time, now just thankful for having an artstyle change.

That's how I see it.

Majora's Mask was a very different experience compared to OoT, and we know absolutely nothing about SS, so calling it another OoT is unsubstantiated.

Also, complaining is different from hating. There were a lot of complaints about WW and TP, but, for the most part, people played tham and enjoyed them.

Cactus said:
theprof00 said:

It's more like:

That's how I see it.

Majora's Mask was a very different experience compared to OoT, and we know absolutely nothing about SS, so calling it another OoT is unsubstantiated.

Also, complaining is different from hating. There were a lot of complaints about WW and TP, but, for the most part, people played tham and enjoyed them.

I think it's safe to say that all those games are very similar to each other.

Look at the first zeldas and how they evolved and tell me that recently zelda hasn't stagnated. To tell the truth, I would love to play a top down 2d zelda again with some creativity to make it more modern.

In fact a new one similar to adventures of link would be great. Just without the switch in screen. Just drop the camera to ground level, go into "over the shoulder cam" and fight a group of monsters in that way. Have some areas as side scrolling at an angle and some lazer shooting swording again.