By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MS Fans owe me an apology about Kinect (Natal)

jneul said:

You may remember me saying that Kinect may not work as advertised, and I even gave a full technical explanation as to why it would not work, yuo called me biased and blinded just because I love Sony.

Now that the media has had a chance to have hands on with kinect, it clearly has fallen short of the hype with reports of it not working properly, it was also over obvious in their live demo that it was all smoke and mirrors.

So where is my apology ms fans??

And if we get real news reports that it works well, will you STFU and offer everyone here an apology?  How about we all chip in for cookies, and the the person who ends up the most accurate get the cookie.  Here is another idea, maybe you had in a paper and we can put a gold star on it.  Or wait, tell you what, post a link to your post that said this, where you took heat, and I will print it out and put a gold star on it.

That is about as good as I think things can be done.  I am sorry, but you just aren't important enough for people on here to care about what you have to say or think.  Life stinks this way, but hey, that is life.  Just remember, things on the Internet appear larger than they are in real life.  I learned that the hard way with the Ron Paul campaign.

Around the Network

Evidence #1

E3: Opinion: Kinectimals doesn't impress

Ian Dransfield 16:10, Thursday 17 June 2010

First of all you need some context to this opinion - it isn't just reactionary nonsense...

Watch this video, then read on.

How this footage shows anything other than a woefully under-equipped piece of kit I do not know. The lag between the person in the footage issuing her body-motion controls and the system responding can almost be measured in seconds.

“Simply watching this video has raised more questions about the viability of Kinect.”

Don’t get me wrong – it looks as if this is an intentional design decision with Kinectimals, but it does make me question why this is necessary. Is it telling of deeper problems? Does it mean the system isn’t quick enough to react instantly to commands, instead meaning developers have to resort to tricks like delayed in-game actions?

It’s not definitive and it’s certainly not damning, but simply watching the video has raised more questions about the viability of Kinect than I ever had before. I’m not impressed, to be honest.

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

evidence #2

Kinect Sports (X360)

Hands-On: Kinect Sports

We hit the track and encountered a surprise cast member of "The Guild" in our first Kinect hands-on experience.

After standing in line for nearly two hours (by far the longest line in terms of time on the show floor), VGChartz finally went hands on with one of the most highly anticipated hardware showpieces in the industry.  The Kinect line also wins the award for the most circuitous on the show floor as well, because every time we thought we had made it to the end, the line took a sharp 180 degree turn in the opposite direction to continue even further.  All of this made the anticipation to experience the device that much worse, but thankfully, all of that time standing in line was met with the reward of playing two different Kinect demos of our liking.

At the end of the line awaited what seemed to be about a 10x10 foot room enclosed with glass partitions so other attendees could watch the Kinect experience firsthand. The first demo we had the privilege of playing was the hurdles minigame in the as of now confirmed Kinect launch title, Kinect Sports.  We were given the option of playing the game with four player multiplayer or taking turns sampling the single player experience, the latter of which we chose.

Before we began, the two Microsoft reps that were showcasing the game stated that in order for Kinect to read us, we would need to stand about four to eight feet away from the television for best results.  After briefly explaining the mechanics of the game to each of us, the demo finally started, which is actually where we discovered our biggest gripe as far as Kinect Sports hurdles gameplay functionality is concerned.  And what may come as a surprise to many, I'm actually talking about the pointing and clicking of the buttons on the screen to start the demo.  The game had a rather difficult time reading our outreached arms as we attempted to point at the onscreen button displays.  It felt a bit unnatural, and it would have been nice if the game could given more of a response when we had our reticule over the button, either with the reticule changing a bit more visually, or a well placed audio effect.

As I'm sure you already know from gameplay screens and videos, everything in the title was designed to match the now famous cartoon-Avatar art style accordingly.  When it was time for each of us to play, we all had our own unique Avatar to embody, complete with their own track get-ups.  Before the race began, we were surprised to see that if we raised our hands up in the air, our Avatar would copy our movements and waive their hands to the crowd.  A short countdown then proceeded, and then boom, we were off to the races.  The reps stressed that we needed to raise our knees as high as we could in order for the Avatars to replicate our in place jogging movements. 

Eventually, we would encounter placed hurdles, and a well placed in-place jump would usually register, although rarely we had the occasional issue with that as well.  Finally, when we made it over the finish line, the game would show off a comically sped up replay of us that the Kinect unit's camera captured.  Microsoft stated that these videos could then be uploaded to your Facebook to show off your mad Kinect skills to your friends.

We came away neither too impressed with the short demo of the upcoming sports title, or too disappointed.  Aside from the pointing malfunctions, there wasn't much that stood out.  It will be interesting to see how Microsoft uses their time before their November launch in relation to Kinect.

from vgchartz itself

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

do you want me to dig deeper or have i made my point yet??

PS VITA = LIFE

Who said Kinect wasn't working properly ?

Who's the best Pac, Nas, and Big. Just leave it to that.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Slaughterhouse Is The Sh*t  .... NOW ........ B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Around the Network

It's more like not working like all the magical adverts, that is why it does nto meet the hype sorry guys, this gadget was hyped to be the future but seriously, I think most of us was displaeased by the smoke and mirrors tactic used by MS again this year, if it is working then there is no need for that kind of tactic:P:P

PS VITA = LIFE

You can get an apology only after Sony appologize for saying. “Microsoft shoots for the moon. Sony shoots for the sun.”

http://www.ps3today.com/Blogs/JournalBlogView/hqs/blr_129.aspx

disolitude said:

You can get an apology only after Sony appologize for saying. “Microsoft shoots for the moon. Sony shoots for the sun.”

http://www.ps3today.com/Blogs/JournalBlogView/hqs/blr_129.aspx

lol it's not going to happen sony are more proud than me

PS VITA = LIFE

Well, it seems like it works ... but not any better than anything else.

In other words, there might be some exaggeration about it ... imagine that.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

360 fans, all 40m of you, line up on a perfect row and apologise! It must be loud enough for the moon people to hear!