By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Could DKCR become the top selling western developed game in Japan ever?

jarrod said:
Demotruk said:
jarrod said:
The later GB and GBA DKC games sold well below a million (most well below half a million even).  This wouldn't be the worst for the series, and honestly I just think Kirby will have more pull with the Japanese.

You're using handheld spin-offs and ports to determine how big DKC is in Japan....?

By the same token NSMB Wii shouldn't have been big, because Super Mario Advance sold less than a million there. Donkey Kong Country is clearly the bigger seller in Japan (and in general).

What are you talking about? The Famicom Mini version SMB1 even cleared a million and the original GB Marios each did millions.  Not to mention NSMB... Mario was HUGE on handhelds.  DK Land and the DKC ports... less so. 

Rare's DKC games were a phenomenon, and considered leading edge in terms of visuals.  Right games at the right time... honestly, I just don't see a throwback like DKCR having the same sort of impact in Japan.  Meanwhile, I think Kirby will do as consistently well as he always seems to.

Super Mario Advance is a much closer analogue to the DKC Advance games. It was around the same time, and was a port just like them. It sold less than a million, yet a new Super Mario game can sell millions.

The Mario Land games on Gameboy were their own games, and are closer to NSMB DS than GBA ports of SNES titles.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Around the Network
Demotruk said:
jarrod said:
Demotruk said:
jarrod said:
The later GB and GBA DKC games sold well below a million (most well below half a million even).  This wouldn't be the worst for the series, and honestly I just think Kirby will have more pull with the Japanese.

You're using handheld spin-offs and ports to determine how big DKC is in Japan....?

By the same token NSMB Wii shouldn't have been big, because Super Mario Advance sold less than a million there. Donkey Kong Country is clearly the bigger seller in Japan (and in general).

What are you talking about? The Famicom Mini version SMB1 even cleared a million and the original GB Marios each did millions.  Not to mention NSMB... Mario was HUGE on handhelds.  DK Land and the DKC ports... less so. 

Rare's DKC games were a phenomenon, and considered leading edge in terms of visuals.  Right games at the right time... honestly, I just don't see a throwback like DKCR having the same sort of impact in Japan.  Meanwhile, I think Kirby will do as consistently well as he always seems to.

Super Mario Advance is a much closer analogue to the DKC Advance games. It was around the same time, and was a port just like them. It sold less than a million, yet a new Super Mario game can sell millions.

The Mario Land games on Gameboy were their own games, and are closer to NSMB DS than GBA ports of SNES titles.

DK Land 1-3 were "their own games" as well.  So what would they be analgous to? What was the million selling Famicom Mini SMB analgous to?

You're sort of missing my point though, the DKC games were huge because of their aesthetic, unlike Mario or Kirby which, while having great visuals, were popular mainly due to the way they played.  I just don't see DKCR having the same sort of impact as the originals (while it can be argued the "gameplay first" NSMB/Wii did), particularly in Japan.  Kirby's consistency will win out over any DKC nostalgia.

jarrod said:
DK Land 1-3 were "their own games" as well.  So what would they be analgous to? What was the million selling Famicom Mini SMB analgous to?

You're sort of missing my point though, the DKC games were huge because of their aesthetic, unlike Mario or Kirby which, while having great visuals, were popular mainly due to the way they played.  I just don't see DKCR having the same sort of impact as the originals (while it can be argued the "gameplay first" NSMB/Wii did), particularly in Japan.  Kirby's consistency will win out over any DKC nostalgia.

Good question, what are they analogous to? What do they say about Donkey Kong Country?

You can come up with whatever justification you like for DKC selling so much on SNES, personally I think it had a lot more to do with the fact that it was designed with multiplayer 'swapping' in mind. You can't claim such analysis as authoritative though, but the fact remains that whatever it was that appealed to people with all three DKC games sold more than any Kirby game on any platform.

And I never said anything about nostalgia. Nostalgia is the appeal of things associated with certain times in your life. I think it will sell because it's a simultaneous multiplayer 2D platformer in a very popular franchise, not because of "nostalgia".

anything is possible when an epic franchise returns on a console that is on pace to become the best selling home console of all time.

I know I'm buying it. Is there anyone here who isn't?

i just hope it manages to do more than 2 million like NSMBW!

Around the Network
Demotruk said:
jarrod said:

Good question, what are they analogous to? What do they say about Donkey Kong Country?

You can come up with whatever justification you like for DKC selling so much on SNES, personally I think it had a lot more to do with the fact that it was designed with multiplayer 'swapping' in mind. You can't claim such analysis as authoritative though, but the fact remains that whatever it was that appealed to people with all three DKC games sold more than any Kirby game on any platform.

And I never said anything about nostalgia. Nostalgia is the appeal of things associated with certain times in your life. I think it will sell because it's a simultaneous multiplayer 2D platformer in a very popular franchise, not because of "nostalgia".

I am saying "nostalgia".  I think that's going to be DKCR's main selling point, particularly in America.  And I just don't think it's going to have the same sort of impact in Japan.

The multiplayer angle you're pushing for DKCR confuses me too, since Kirby has the exact same thing going for it.  And all things considered, recent 2D Kirby platformers (Amazing Mirror, Squeak Squad, Superstar Ultra) have dramatically outsold recent 2D DK platformers (Jungle Beat, NPC Jungle Beat, DKC1-3 GBA).  Just because DKC (or SDK actually) sold millions on SFC a decade and a half ago doesn't mean it will do the same today, meanwhile we've actually had Kirby games that can clear a million within the past couple years...

i think around 2 million , maybe alittle more for its lifetime sales in japan.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

So, DKCR is over 500K in three weeks. It should easily clear a million and will definitely be the highest selling western developed game in a long time. 2 million lifetime is probably the high end now, it should beat Crash Bandicoot as the highest selling Western game in Japan of the last three generations in a few weeks.

Meanwhile, K: EY has sold 300K in three months.