By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Could DKCR become the top selling western developed game in Japan ever?

I just took a look through the highest selling games in Japan, and the record holder for a Western developed game, is the original Donkey Kong Country with over 3 million units. Tetris on Gameboy is above it, but that version of Tetris was developed in Japan, even if the original was Russian.

NSMB was completely eaten up by the Japanese recently, there's clearly a massive market there for full content 2D platformers, and the series has a history of success in Japan. I think they can do it, and it would be a remarkable achievement if they do (given how 'impenetrable' the Japanese market is supposed to be).

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Around the Network

No as DKC had a bigger userbase when it was relased than DKCR SO no unless wii can macially sell much more

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

maybe, but it's extremly unlikely

No way! DK is not Mario!

But it'll do a million, and that's going to be epic.

andremop said:

No way! DK is not Mario!

It doesn't need to sell like Mario... he compared it to old DKC!

I don't think it'll get up to 3 million, though, that's a little crazy. I can see it ending around 2 million, which would be awesome.

Around the Network
c0rd said:
andremop said:

No way! DK is not Mario!

It doesn't need to sell like Mario... he compared it to old DKC!

I don't think it'll get up to 3 million, though, that's a little crazy. I can see it ending around 2 million, which would be awesome.

Yeah, but what I meant was

DK is not nearly 50% of mario.

Well, Japan loved the originals, but that was a very long time ago. It will be interesting to see if the interest is still there.

It will sell like hotcakes the first one did over 9million on the SNES. Even the third one sold over 3million and they were coming out one a year. Its been 14years since the last one. It will be huge.

Bah I missed the Japanesse only stuff my bad. Ethier way it will be huge.

Honest, I wonder how well it will sell period.

I love Retro and DK but I haven't seen anything to wow me about DKC Returns that will get it enough buzz to move big numbers like the original games. Heck, I'm worried that Nintendo will be banking to heavily on the nostalgia that when they drop DKCR it will land with a dud because they didn't give Retro enough incentive to go nuts on making it as fun and at the same time as original as the OG SNES classics.

Even FF has fallen from grace in Japan. Still, 1.5-2m is perfectly expected.