By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Did Nintendo just Dreamcast the PSP2?

siavm said:

The only thing sony can do is make the next one a phone with good games but even then the iphone has that area locked down. So sony either has to keep the psp afloat or just end it and focus on the console front.

how so..?

there is more smartphone's than there are Iphone's esp. since may people use their phone more than the PSP or the Nintendo DS OR THAN THE iPHONE if you are talking about one device vs the rest of the industry!

the Iphone has a fantastic market share for just one phone..but is a small market share for smartphones world wide.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Around the Network

I see your point using the case of the dreamcast.  Not a perfect comparison though as Sega at that time was lagging in the 6th generation of consoles and Sony would later come out with the PS2 and dominate.

joeorc said:
Squilliam said:

You could say the same for the Cell when IBM sold them directly and inside servers. Anyhow price discrimination is alive and well within the semi-conductor industry. Take server chips for instance, they cost THOUSANDS each, and yet the retail model is mere hundreds and the actual margins on the chip itself at retail is often over 100% more than the fabrication costs.

Nintendo doesn't need a chip which will even run native X86 code without a recompile so theres no conflict of interest for say AMD to gimp/rework the instruction decode or you know add more registers or funny things like that because the money Nintendo would pay them and the volume are both high enough to justify this. HP couldn't exactly turn around and complain if the chip is technically X86 non compliant now can they?

it's not the same thing with CELL

Remember Cell was not just Ibm's it was also's Toshiba's and Sony's.

this is where Nintendo has to go outside and shop, what ever price is set that's what Nintendo has to go with. yes they can have a chip made for them , but it still all bois down to how much Nintendo is willing to spend.The next Wii replacement is not like their handheld's and if it does this will be one of the thing's that's would be a question, would Nintendo make a system they would take a hit on in a sizable way. Which i doubt it very much.the hardware will be powerful for a Nintendo system but as for it being very robust, I doubt it will surpass the technology in the xbox360 or the ps3 if they intend to launch in 2011 it would just be too expensive to do so.

Nintendo could but i very much doubt it the way the Wii is selling. the handheld market is not like the system's that are directed for your living room.

They still have to get what ever price is set by the manuf. so still between now and 2011 it's still going to be expensive. for what your trying to think Nintendo will be able to release without costing an arm and a leg, yesa they could do it but I doubt it very much. remember it's about the software.

It strikes be that you actually know very little about technology from what you've just said.

They would have to fall over themselves to release a system which was not at least twice as powerful as the PS3 in 2011.

Memory technology has advanced rapidly, the Xbox 360 used 8 512Mb ram chips whereas they can use just two 2Gb GDDR5 chips and double the memory bandwidth of the Xbox 360 at significantly lower cost.

Fabrication technology improvements mean they can use relatively power efficient cache, so instead of 3MB embedded framebuffer on the Wii they can easily install 15MB or more given the fact that there are over 1B transistors per 100mm^2 at the 28nm bulk process nodes of both Global Foundries and TSMC and cache is very compact compared to logic and analogue circuitry.

processor technology has also improved significantly. Not only are modern GPUs more efficient on a performance per watt and performance per area metric. They are also significantly more efficient at reproducing modern post processing effects you see on all AAA games today on a per transistor basis. A DX11 GPU is typically at least 50% faster using compute shaders than a DX10 counterpart running the same shaders. The same also applies to the latest model CPUs as well.

None of this costs any extra money, the performance improvements over the current generation are either free or cheaper than what is currently implemented inside the Xbox 360 or PS3.

I could go on and on, but quite frankly I don't expect you to understand or if you do understand I don't expect you to acknowledge any of this so why bother?

Tease.

I think Sony is just playing smart and are waiting to see what Nintendo will do with 3DS. They don't want to bring out a system just to have it miss features that Nintendo's system does have. They made that mistake with the first PSP, with DS having touchscreen. Then the same thing happened with PS3 and Wii having motion controls, with Sony missing out again.

All Sony will do now is look at what Nintendo does and then improve on that. That way can launch a similiar system as to 3DS only more powerfull and with extra features, and get an advantage that way.

Does anyone know what kind of storage media 3DS will use? 

Squilliam said:
joeorc said:
Squilliam said:

You could say the same for the Cell when IBM sold them directly and inside servers. Anyhow price discrimination is alive and well within the semi-conductor industry. Take server chips for instance, they cost THOUSANDS each, and yet the retail model is mere hundreds and the actual margins on the chip itself at retail is often over 100% more than the fabrication costs.

Nintendo doesn't need a chip which will even run native X86 code without a recompile so theres no conflict of interest for say AMD to gimp/rework the instruction decode or you know add more registers or funny things like that because the money Nintendo would pay them and the volume are both high enough to justify this. HP couldn't exactly turn around and complain if the chip is technically X86 non compliant now can they?

it's not the same thing with CELL

Remember Cell was not just Ibm's it was also's Toshiba's and Sony's.

this is where Nintendo has to go outside and shop, what ever price is set that's what Nintendo has to go with. yes they can have a chip made for them , but it still all bois down to how much Nintendo is willing to spend.The next Wii replacement is not like their handheld's and if it does this will be one of the thing's that's would be a question, would Nintendo make a system they would take a hit on in a sizable way. Which i doubt it very much.the hardware will be powerful for a Nintendo system but as for it being very robust, I doubt it will surpass the technology in the xbox360 or the ps3 if they intend to launch in 2011 it would just be too expensive to do so.

Nintendo could but i very much doubt it the way the Wii is selling. the handheld market is not like the system's that are directed for your living room.

They still have to get what ever price is set by the manuf. so still between now and 2011 it's still going to be expensive. for what your trying to think Nintendo will be able to release without costing an arm and a leg, yesa they could do it but I doubt it very much. remember it's about the software.

It strikes be that you actually know very little about technology from what you've just said.

They would have to fall over themselves to release a system which was not at least twice as powerful as the PS3 in 2011.

Memory technology has advanced rapidly, the Xbox 360 used 8 512Mb ram chips whereas they can use just two 2Gb GDDR5 chips and double the memory bandwidth of the Xbox 360 at significantly lower cost.

Fabrication technology improvements mean they can use relatively power efficient cache, so instead of 3MB embedded framebuffer on the Wii they can easily install 15MB or more given the fact that there are over 1B transistors per 100mm^2 at the 28nm bulk process nodes of both Global Foundries and TSMC and cache is very compact compared to logic and analogue circuitry.

processor technology has also improved significantly. Not only are modern GPUs more efficient on a performance per watt and performance per area metric. They are also significantly more efficient at reproducing modern post processing effects you see on all AAA games today on a per transistor basis. A DX11 GPU is typically at least 50% faster using compute shaders than a DX10 counterpart running the same shaders. The same also applies to the latest model CPUs as well.

None of this costs any extra money, the performance improvements over the current generation are either free or cheaper than what is currently implemented inside the Xbox 360 or PS3.

I could go on and on, but quite frankly I don't expect you to understand or if you do understand I don't expect you to acknowledge any of this so why bother?

yea sure for the manuf. but not the companies that do not make them chip's...yea Nintendo just get's a good break because their Nintendo..gotcha...lol

Nintendo cannot make their own prices for other companies.

which is what your trying to put out there because their Nintendo.

over this trite..once again your looking more an more wearing the largest clownshoes on this board

-lol/:P

I AM BOLO

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Around the Network

The PSP2 will now be delayed so they can add 3D to it, ripping off Nintendo pre-launch so they don't have to do it retroactively (again)

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X
joeorc said:

yea sure for the manuf. but not the companies that do not make them chip's...yea Nintendo just get's a good break because their Nintendo..gotcha...lol

over this trite..once again your looking more an more wearing the largest clownshoes on this board

Its funny, I could copy that post verbatim onto the www.beyond3d.com board I.E. A board where something like this is typical and was the latest post to be made "MLAA is better with high contrast edges than other methods because the algorithm is all about finding edges and smoothing them, and high contrast edges are easier to find! And unlike MSAA, MLAA works on the tonemapped LDR buffer so won't interpolate HDR values outside the final dynamic range." and find agreement and yet you can't even get over yourself long enough to actually consider anyone else knows anything about this topic at all.

Heres a news flash for you technology improves and gets cheaper. Its pretty obvious, you should learn it sometime.

Tease.

Squilliam said:
joeorc said:

Its funny, I could copy that post verbatim onto the www.beyond3d.com board I.E. A board where something like this is typical and was the latest post to be made "MLAA is better with high contrast edges than other methods because the algorithm is all about finding edges and smoothing them, and high contrast edges are easier to find! And unlike MSAA, MLAA works on the tonemapped LDR buffer so won't interpolate HDR values outside the final dynamic range." and find agreement and yet you can't even get over yourself long enough to actually consider anyone else knows anything about this topic at all.

Heres a news flash for you technology improves and gets cheaper. Its pretty obvious, you should learn it sometime.

yes it does get cheaper..for the people that make the stuff. and then for the people after a while

unless

its subsidized your not going to get it cheap. yes technology get's cheaper for the people that make it..but since Nintendo does not it's pointless they have to shop for it.

I AM BOLO

ps:

zzamaro said:

Well, it's a fact it's already dead but not dreamcasted, not sure how many years did the DC lived but the PSP managed to sell over 60 millions of units while the DC died so quickly.

@Ajescent

You're not alone, it doesn't exist but if Sony announces a new PSP, i bet it won't survive this time...I think, but it's a possibility, that the only thing will save the PSP is both a trophy system and a price cut. Oh, and I know about the pirates but Sony already has the PSP GO...

id prefer a new overpriced psp then that nintendo... ur acting as if the nintendo 3DS is a gift from god... meh

Im not even going to bother with that one.

Tease.