By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Did Nintendo just Dreamcast the PSP2?

Its been stated that turning games 3d is fairly easy and not costly at all but simply because its 3d publishers will use it as an excuse to charge more

Around the Network

From what i've seen so far from the 3DS it barely looks more powerfull than the current(and 5 year old) PSP if at all. Offcourse the 3D effect does create an performance hit, but still... 

All Sony has to do however is at 3G/phone support to the PSP2 and it will outsell the 3DS easily. 

AnthonyW86 said:

From what i've seen so far from the 3DS it barely looks more powerfull than the current(and 5 year old) PSP if at all. Offcourse the 3D effect does create an performance hit, but still... 

All Sony has to do however is at 3G/phone support to the PSP2 and it will outsell the 3DS easily. 

LOL, you really think it's that simple......

SleepWaking said:
AnthonyW86 said:

LOL, you really think it's that simple......

I think alot of people (including myself) don't have a portable handheld or really take it with them often because they already have a phone to carry around(wich also offers some fair casual gaming). I sold my PSP because i didn't take it anywhere, and at home i just fired up my console or PC if i wanted to do some gaming.

If they add phone support and 3G to the mix people are more likely to carry it around and use, making for a more appealing product. Depending on the screen size you could do some decent web browsing aswell, add Facebook etc. support to it and i think you have a real mass market product.

Also.... who's saying the next PSP won't have 3D aswell?

AnthonyW86 said:

Yes easily...if the games announced in the last two days are exclusives the 3DS will have an all time record in its first year saleswise. Plus what did we see? Not finished games without 3D effect. Look at the Resident Evil or MGS games on Nintendo Network website: the PSP is unable to do that! And I don't think many people would choose a PSP2 over a 3DS just because of phone support...in that case Sony would go against Apple, being surely defeated.

We know nothing of PSP2, we don't even know it there will be one, but it's sure that it won't be easy for anything to sell like the 3DS, the excitement at E3 is showing it (it remembers the WIi, which had 3 incredible years at first) plus all those games show a lot of support, for every kind of gamer.

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Xenoblade (Wii), Super mario 3D land (3DS), Guild Wars (PC)

Around the Network
Buzzi said:
AnthonyW86 said:

Yes easily...if the games announced in the last two days are exclusives the 3DS will have an all time record in its first year saleswise. Plus what did we see? Not finished games without 3D effect. Look at the Resident Evil or MGS games on Nintendo Network website: the PSP is unable to do that! And I don't think many people would choose a PSP2 over a 3DS just because of phone support...in that case Sony would go against Apple, being surely defeated.

We know nothing of PSP2, we don't even know it there will be one, but it's sure that it won't be easy for anything to sell like the 3DS, the excitement at E3 is showing it (it remembers the WIi, which had 3 incredible years at first) plus all those games show a lot of support, for every kind of gamer.

I've Nvidia 3D Vision myself and i do agree that with 3D it could look alot better, so i'm reserving my judgement on the power department until we see some finished games(altough the 3DS could be close to the Wii in term of power, and it actually has a higher screen resolution aswell making for a akward market situation if you ask me...)

But again don't be suprised if Sony announces a 3D capable PSP next year. Companies like Philips have been developing glass-free 3D for years, even bringing out working concept models. The reason they never introduced it in any tv is because it projects two different images on your eyes, wich makes it useless for viewing by more than one/ maybe two viewers. This however is perfect for a handheld screen because it's much closer to your eyes and you can easily tilt it to get the right position towards your eyes.

The 3DS uses the exact same technology so unlike parts of the Wii motion control setup Nintendo doesn't own any patents regarding this technology making it possible for Sony to use it aswell. 

Also Sony will have some experience with the PS3 regarding 3D before the next PSP is even announced.

p.s. I'm actually suprised they haven't implemented some kind of eye tracking with a camera from what i've seen so far, guess the viewing angle is better than i thought.

AnthonyW86 said:
Buzzi said:
AnthonyW86 said:

I've Nvidia 3D Vision myself and i do agree that with 3D it could look alot better, so i'm reserving my judgement on the power department until we see some finished games(altough the 3DS could be close to the Wii in term of power, and it actually has a higher screen resolution aswell making for a akward market situation if you ask me...)

But again don't be suprised if Sony announces a 3D capable PSP next year. Companies like Philips have been developing glass-free 3D for years, even bringing out working concept models. The reason they never introduced it in any tv is because it projects two different images on your eyes, wich makes it useless for viewing by more than one/ maybe two viewers. This however is perfect for a handheld screen because it's much closer to your eyes and you can easily tilt it to get the right position towards your eyes.

The 3DS uses the exact same technology so unlike parts of the Wii motion control setup Nintendo doesn't own any patents regarding this technology making it possible for Sony to use it aswell. 

Also Sony will have some experience with the PS3 regarding 3D before the next PSP is even announced.

p.s. I'm actually suprised they haven't implemented some kind of eye tracking with a camera from what i've seen so far, guess the viewing angle is better than i thought.

I agree with a lot of your points, but you seem to forget that the most important thing is software rather than hardware. I believe 3DS will be a tremendous succes because of all the software it already seems to be getting. I do think the 3D will obviously help to create some initial interest. That also means of the PSP2 will have 3D it won't bring the same excitement with it just because it's already done. (kinda like with kinnect and the move now).

astrosmash said:
axumblade said:

I personally think it would be hilarious if the PSP2 launched at a much lower pricepoint than the 3DS just because people always make the "Sony is too expensive" excuse. :)

That would be a very un-Sony approach to the next gen, but it also might be the best strategy for Sony. 

or move the PSP platform to the smartphone market. that way they can sell the PSP only app's and than people would still have access to Android App's. thus it would seperate the PSP from the 3DS and like other Android smartphone's access to thousands of App's.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

I have stigmatism in my eyes and that has kept me from being able to view 3d that well.  Like when I try to use the standard blue and red glasses to watch dvds that have 3d parts on them on tv, would I have the the same problem seeing 3d on 3DS?

joeorc said:

tell that too the casuals that Nintendo expect's to sell the new Wii replacement!

it's not going to be easy for any new system to run away with market share this time because even when the new hardware does release it have to provide such an upgrade over the previous that make's it a viable choice to upgrade fast than waiting to upgrade at a later time. over keeping the system they have now . esp. since all 3 are still selling very well.

look were going back an forth on this. you have your IDEA i have mine. we agree to disagree at this point.

Again, look at 3DS.  Nintendo's clearly not launching with the casuals in mind, they're aiming directly at the traditional games market for early adoption.

And I expect Wii2 to be a pretty significant bump over Wii in about every area.  Again, look at DS to 3DS.  That's what we'll see...