By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What will sell better PS Move or MS kinect

What will sell better PS Move or MS kinect

Ps Move 796 66.28%

MS Kinect 405 33.72%

Total:1,201

*In response to RichardHutnik*

The PS3 uses the light on the controls to find it's 3-D position and does this by judging how large or small it is as well as it's light intesnsity to judge distance (if I understand the technology behind it). Kinect uses 2 cameras for depth perception. If programmed correctly the move should be able to judge the Human body in 3D space with minor callabration before starting game or adding a new user to it's library. This being done by the size of the body in motion in comparision to it's pre-calibrated size as well as intensity of light reflectivity.

This is why I added if programmed correctly. As for doing the same as Natal does, with the demos I have seen before, The Red Ball Demo, the one with the kid, and the paint demo, I have seen similar things being done on the PSEye already.

Around the Network

Back to the sales question.  I am seeing Kinect being a focal point of discussion and debate on here, regarding motion control.  What I am not seeing is anyone here who is interested in getting Move, so I started this thread:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=111951

If few people here are actually excited about Move, and planning on getting it personally, I am curious exactly how it is going to be a larger seller?  If people aren't even going to bother to argue and debate about it, why is it going to sell better than Kinect which has people going back and forth and yelling about it?  I believe the Wii, when it was coming out, also likely generated a LOT of arguments over whether or not it would be anything on here.

Raistline said:

*In response to RichardHutnik*

The PS3 uses the light on the controls to find it's 3-D position and does this by judging how large or small it is as well as it's light intesnsity to judge distance (if I understand the technology behind it). Kinect uses 2 cameras for depth perception. If programmed correctly the move should be able to judge the Human body in 3D space with minor callabration before starting game or adding a new user to it's library. This being done by the size of the body in motion in comparision to it's pre-calibrated size as well as intensity of light reflectivity.

This is why I added if programmed correctly. As for doing the same as Natal does, with the demos I have seen before, The Red Ball Demo, the one with the kid, and the paint demo, I have seen similar things being done on the PSEye already.

The points being measured at the balls of lights on the controller.  This, in addition to the sensors in the controller, do give the controller portion great precision.  But, I don't see the entire body being measured.   If someone were to hold the Move controller still and move their feet, would the Move set up be able to tell if there is movement below in 3D?  I don't know if that is so.  One can presume it might, but no evidence so.  What I saw was in the EA fitness program, the Wii and PS3 versions for Move had the people wear extra sensors to measure movement of the legs of a person.

FlyingLotus said:

Kinect at number 2 on amazon slim 360 number 1 while move still in the 30's.

Yup...Amazon while not always accurate on sales is a decent indicator for interest level...and clearly the slim and kinect...and MS points are the hot items right now.

Around the Network

My guess would be Kinect.  Based on the interested "Natal" generated last year.  Also it has more advertisement potential, it's new, different.  Move might get stuck in the wii-like area, so wii households won't probably see the purpose. 

In the end though, I think both will fail to get the same level of mainstream/casual exitement the Wii generated when it first came out.

"¿Por qué justo a mí tenía que tocarme ser yo?"

Casual people don't want another wii remote. They want to try the next coolest thing, Kinect. Kinect has better marketing. Not many people have heard of Move, only in this site.

i'm fairly sure Kinect will sell better, first because i think the mass market wont look at the move as anything else than a more expensive wii, while Kinect will probrably be seen as something more new, not to mention MS marketing will push it a lot

Maybe Kinect will sell better, maybe Move will, but reasoning about this as if they are fighting each other is a badly stated problem, as Kinect is actually attacking Wii Balance Board or trying to find a part of the market where BB isn't the ideal controller, and Move is trying almost the same with WiiMote and WM Plus. And so it's also not only matter of the size of the potential market, but it must also be taken int account Nintendo's reaction, that will depend on how much its business could be damaged by either of them.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

In the end, its all about who will put their money where their mouth is. My friends father saw kinect and he was really interested in it. He said that it was cool, would like to try it, but he said he would never pay for it. since move has so many different pricing structures it kind of seems weird how move will win if it goes buy sales of just the controller or buy sales of the $100 bundle. Even with taxes both motion control methods will cost around $500 for anyone getting it from the get go. The Kinect will win if the casuals put up the cash. Move will win if the hardcore believe in the Sony enough.  I'm putting my money on Sony.

don't waste time

3DS FC 4914-3563-4510

NNID : turtuls