By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What will sell better PS Move or MS kinect

What will sell better PS Move or MS kinect

Ps Move 796 66.28%

MS Kinect 405 33.72%

Total:1,201

A problem which many people have not seen with the Kinect is diasabled people. I go to a Games Development course and the tutor I have is disabled... Now you tell me how the hell he can play Dancing games!

Move all the way, it's alot more compatible.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:

How do you look in a car racing game? Well in something like Forza 3 you could just look at the mirror or the wing mirror given that it has head tracking whilst a top down racer like Mario Kart is already in third person but I actually don't think being able to look behind you is that big a deal in that game really, they'll just blue shell you.

Anyhow the important point I feel that I need to make is that the controller doesn't have to replicate the control pad. Whats the point in making a controller which is 90% identical to a standard controller in function and use wrist movements and motion controls to make up for the use of a right stick and buttons? It doesn't add nearly as many new possibilities compared to using a controller which adds completely new functionality to the system. Since both control systems can be used in tandem the fact you cannot walk with Kinect doesn't effect its value. Any missing functionality in Kinect is made up for by it being able to do things no other controller can manage due to software and hardware reasons. Whats the point in buying a peripheral with no real compelling unique selling propositions and ports of software you can use with your normal controller? At least with Kinect if nothing else you've got an awesome way to play ESPN, Netflix, Zune music/movies.

Like I said in a previous thread I made, Kinect isn't targetting the Wii Motion level of functionality. I already picked it as a challenger to the original Wiimote design (no nunchuck) and Wii Fit (motion camera) with additional functionality (like media interface). Way back in 2009 I posted a video of the NXE being controlled by a gesture interface. You could say that I was insightful!

Anyway the Kinect controller is targetting a broad swath of casual/non/not gaming people with some functionality which adds to the core gamer experience but doesn't generally replace it and a general purpose media interface. Because it doesn't do things that the original controller can do handily it adds more value to the unique Kinect experience. Microsoft wants to give people something they can't get with a controller. They wanted to make it both useful in a practical sense and you'll see various educational applications created/made/ported for the interface from adult education to child education (milo???) and basic but fun gameplay which uses a persons body as the control scheme. This isn't meant to be Kinect 2.0, its not the whole design concept brought to life because the technology simply isn't ready yet. Kinect is the pipe cleaner before the main event which is Kinect 2.0 with a standard physical controller designed to compliment Kinect and a true 3D visual interface where visual/physical interactions can be done in a way which makes sense.

Yes yes, I get that Kinect opened up some new input possibilities, however, the whole point is that without any form of direct non-interpretive input, there are many kinds of actions that you just can't convey to the system.  In order to make the experience complete, Kinect needs that.  I understand who Kinect is targeting but the big problem is, that target audience likely isn't going to run out and drop $400 or so on a system and Kinect.  With the 360 Kinect, you are going to need the traditional 360 audience for it to be successful they have limited the type of games that can be offered to that audience because the lack of direct input means no non-rail shooters and no open world exploration (which, btw, I think is a big problem for any audience).  Look at what is being offered so far.  Do you really think it is a great idea to try to out casual the Wii this late in this generation with the Wii already so entrenched?  If we are comparing to Move, Move is able to offer casual games as well as the more hardcore HD audience.  Not only that, but they went with a style that allows developers to more easily design games for the PS3 and Wii.  The PS3 version will be able to have the same controls as the Wii and also graphically upstage it.  Of course, as I have said, I don't expect Kinect or Move to sell terribly well, I just expect that Move will sell better.  The games will be more diverse and tap in to games that are already being designed for the Wii (that aren't shovelware).

I give that post a 9.4.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

The great thing that none of you see is that Kinect doesn't compete with Move or Wii, those are two diferent systems.

In the same way that the average player could buy Wii PS3    or  Wii X360  but   NO  X360 PS3,  

Now that everyone have the Wii, they are not buying the same thing again.

Wii Kinect    Move Kinect   but NO Wii Move.

Maybe it's the fact that Sony was once on top of the mountain in this industry, and the fall from grace has been swift and brutal. The worst thing about being on top is the fall to the bottom, and maybe the transition from PS2 dominance to PS3 heel-dragging has had a damaging effect on the fanboy psyche, leaving them vulnerable and insecure. Maybe fanboys are suffering from a severe case of paranoid delusion, brought about by denial that the PS3 is in third place when once Sony was leading the charge.

-- Jim Sterling

Kinect even with it's unconfirmed price and further release date is currently number 2 on Amazon, only ranking behind the new Xbox 360 elite and those 2 seem to be swapping places daily.

Move is currently ranked 36th, it was at 24th at one stage. It seems initially there will be no contest as the buying public has spoken and it will be a dominating victory to kinect. So I guess it will come down to long term appeal, neither really appeal to me but I think MS has at least taken the smart approach and targetted the right audience.

Kinect is now #1 in Amazon while Move is 36. Yep, Kinect is already destroying Move in sales.

Around the Network

Lol the move selling more than kinect is just wishfull thinking, this is AMERICA (F*** YEAH) and Americans will buy anything a celebrity tells them to buy (especially if they are attractive).

I was gonna say move but looking at a post i just saw on destructioid where move isn't even in the top 40  im not to sure.Maybe im thinking to much in a "hardcore" mindset.

http://www.destructoid.com/amazon-sales-put-interest-in-kinect-over-move-177061.phtml

Kinect still at number one.

SOLIDSNAKE08 said:

its been confirmed today that GT5 has a weather system, track editor and go karts! seriously i think this is going to be the best selling in the series even beating GT3 sales of 14 million plus!

Kinect all the way!

I just picture going to the store and seeing all three motion controls in demo mode.  Joe casual and his family are going to see how the Move and Wii are similar but Kinect is different.   All the kids are going to be playing the dance games with no controlers. 

MS seems to be better at advertising and you know that Kinect is going to be all over the news and talk shows. I have not heard one thing about the Move from the normal media and it is priced and releasing 6 weeks sooner.

I see the casuals being more interested in Kinect and that out weighs the hardcore by a ton.  Kinect will be one of those hard to get Holiday gifts.  Get it early and sell it for double or triple more on Ebay.

Well this is a playstation ruled site so whats the point in making a poll sony anything will win even if it said

"Would you buy a move if you had to pay 100 for each controller or 150 for kinect which plays up to four players lets see 400 ( the price of a ps3 and some or 150 the price of a DS) Well i love sony so much im voteing for the move even though i am paying more than twice as much".

I think Move will sell better than Kinect.  But that's just those items.  I still think the 360 will outsell PS3 when just comparing console to console even after these motion controls are made available.  Everyone has seen the Wii and since the PS3 Move is virtually the same, it's easy for people to make that connection and know what they are buying.  And even though I think Sony is bloated with arrogance and self back patting, they can push Move off to it's core by simply saying it's not Kiddy Motion Control like Wii, but HARDCORE Motion Control.  Their BS advertising over the years has stuck with their core audience so I think they will eat this up.  MS core with their choice of games to play just don't seem to interested in casual style games so I don't see Kinect moving as many units as the Move peripherals.

Consoles owned: NES, N64, PS1, GC, PS2, Wii.

Currently playing...