By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Immediate XBOX 360 PRICE CUT ANNOUNCED "$149.99"

RareglovE said:

paying $300 for a 360 slim isnt worth it,

paying $300 for a PS3 slim is worth it why, simple it has a built in blu ray player

I've had a Ps3 for 2 years, guess how many Blu-ray movies i have watched? Its completely unnecessary for me, if every game for PS3 was playable on it, i would easily have bough a model without blu-ray if it was cheaper than with. Since if you wanna watch HD movies you just stream them from your PC, blu-ray  (for movies) is a dying format.

Around the Network
mundus6 said:
RareglovE said:

paying $300 for a PS3 slim is worth it why, simple it has a built in blu ray player

I've had a Ps3 for 2 years, guess how many Blu-ray movies i have watched? Its completely unnecessary for me, if every game for PS3 was playable on it, i would easily have bough a model without blu-ray if it was cheaper than with. Since if you wanna watch HD movies you just stream them from your PC, blu-ray  (for movies) is a dying format.

well that is you, the fact remains blu-ray is actually worth having to alot of people (who are not you) and it is a major value to the PS3, that is all he was saying. And I agree with the original point, they (Microsoft) cant have their intoductory model increase in price by $100, especially when they are launching the casual focused Kinect which is in direct competition (price wise) with the wii, or at least it should be.

I think it is just a matter of time before we see a "price cut" around Christmas time to see another sku of some sort (which is less than $300), which may or may not contain Kinect in time for Christmas.

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

Dodece said:

Being a bit of a devils advocate here, and stating the contrary. I must ask a very obvious question that isn't getting asked by anyone else in this thread. Am I the only who thinks that perhaps the whole era of the price wars ran its coarse. Yes there was a race to the lowest price point to sway the late adopters who wouldn't shell out large amounts of money for a game console. However that sweet spot was hit ages ago, and it is hard to imagine anyone sitting on that fence today. I mean do we think there is a hoard of gamers that have been living under a rock somewhere waiting for a very low price point that has been around for ages.

I think that is why Microsoft unveiled a shiny new model, and a new gimmick for their press conference. Price is no longer a major motivator for this generation. That card has already been played all the way out. There is nothing to be gained on the low end price front anymore. What is going to sell consumers on a console now is the novelty and quality of what is on the table. Not how much it will cost. Bottom line what is going to move consoles now is features, and the games.

Microsoft is betting on a new presentation to sell their console. Not on undercutting on the price front. They did that, and yeah it worked. However if your going to draw out a generation that is a strategy that must eventually slam into the hard wall, of there being nothing left to cut or streamline.

Just my thoughts, but this kind of thinking about the price points is over a year removed from the reality.

Worked for the PS2.

TheSource said:

Leo J what is your source?

Tomato?

Dodece said:

Being a bit of a devils advocate here, and stating the contrary. I must ask a very obvious question that isn't getting asked by anyone else in this thread. Am I the only who thinks that perhaps the whole era of the price wars ran its coarse. Yes there was a race to the lowest price point to sway the late adopters who wouldn't shell out large amounts of money for a game console. However that sweet spot was hit ages ago, and it is hard to imagine anyone sitting on that fence today. I mean do we think there is a hoard of gamers that have been living under a rock somewhere waiting for a very low price point that has been around for ages.

I think that is why Microsoft unveiled a shiny new model, and a new gimmick for their press conference. Price is no longer a major motivator for this generation. That card has already been played all the way out. There is nothing to be gained on the low end price front anymore. What is going to sell consumers on a console now is the novelty and quality of what is on the table. Not how much it will cost. Bottom line what is going to move consoles now is features, and the games.

Microsoft is betting on a new presentation to sell their console. Not on undercutting on the price front. They did that, and yeah it worked. However if your going to draw out a generation that is a strategy that must eventually slam into the hard wall, of there being nothing left to cut or streamline.

Just my thoughts, but this kind of thinking about the price points is over a year removed from the reality.

This is an excellent post and food for thought.

Basically I agree. One could roughly say that last gen's famous $200 sweet spot for mass market is $300 in this gen, and the end of last gen price point of $149 aimed at the casual users could now be $200 or $250.

But, there's now an additional factor. The motion controls. With the Move and Kinect rumoured to cost $80-$150 as an additonal cost on top of the console itself price could become a factor again, especially for the more casual consumers.

I don't think a PS3 & Move bundle at $349 sounds like an attractive price to families and soccer moms (and it might get over $400 if you want two controllers).

The X360 Arcade drop from $199 to $149 is important because it will possibly let the X360 Arcade Kinect bundle cost $249 which I think could be maximum for casuals that are interested in Kinectimals and Kinect Adventures.

But for the traditional gamers who aren't interested in motion controls, yes, price wars don't mean much in this gen anymore.

Around the Network

Great, i can MS having a great holiday season this year. These price drops and Kinect will help a lot.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

Wagram said:

I don't understand the commotion about wireless with consoles.

ETHERNET IS INFINITELY BETTER!

It's really just to make the bullet point list longer than the competitions. It would seem size is everything.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

mundus6 said:
RareglovE said:

I don't think you can really speak for the majority with that comment. I myself own 98 Blu Rays and I don't even have a PS3, but I've been contemplating it heavily.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Slimebeast said:
Dodece said:

This is an excellent post and food for thought.

Basically I agree. One could roughly say that last gen's famous $200 sweet spot for mass market is $300 in this gen, and the end of last gen price point of $149 aimed at the casual users could now be $200 or $250.

But, there's now an additional factor. The motion controls. With the Move and Kinect rumoured to cost $80-$150 as an additonal cost on top of the console itself price could become a factor again, especially for the more casual consumers.

I don't think a PS3 & Move bundle at $349 sounds like an attractive price to families and soccer moms (and it might get over $400 if you want two controllers).

The X360 Arcade drop from $199 to $149 is important because it will possibly let the X360 Arcade Kinect bundle cost $249 which I think could be maximum for casuals that are interested in Kinectimals and Kinect Adventures.

But for the traditional gamers who aren't interested in motion controls, yes, price wars don't mean much in this gen anymore.

The price point is important for gift givers more than anything.  Especially $150 or less and the gift becomes an easier what the hell why not decision.  So that is why the Arcade will be reintroduced late this summer when the existing Arcade and Elites are all gone.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

There should be a cheaper SKU after the old models are phased out. I thought MS might come out with a $99 model... That would have been a killer blow.