By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is MS and Sony trying to copy Nintendo

Pyro as Bill said:

No.

If they were copying Nintendo, they'd be showing stuff we haven't seen before*.

*Excludes animatronic elephant.

Exactly :P

They aren't copying Nintendo, they think they're copying them.

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

Around the Network

Did Konami copy EA by doing Pro Evolution Soccer? You can't 'copy' something so general as doing a sports game or a set of mini game... I don't think either Microsoft or Sony copied Nintendo by doing an Archery or gladiator game... In fact... Wii sports only has boxing as a fighting game... it's a generic wiggle your fists game. The gladiator(from what I've seen in the demo) game gives you the ability to use shields and swords and fight a real sword fight. 

I am a Gamer... I play games and not consoles. I have a PC and Console on which I game... I like games. End of Story!

@Shoestar

Copy might be not a right word, but are you implying there's absolutely no connection between the amount of success Wii Sports is enjoying and Microsoft and Sony decision to make Sports game compilation all of a sudden and market it heavily? Absoulutely there's a connection, they copied business decision to go after audience Nintendo captured. That's what they copied.

RageBot said:
Pyro as Bill said:

No.

If they were copying Nintendo, they'd be showing stuff we haven't seen before*.

*Excludes animatronic elephant.

Exactly :P

They aren't copying Nintendo, they think they're copying them.

You people stealin' my words! I'll get you for this!

mai said:

@Shoestar

Copy might be not a right word, but are you implying there's absolutely no connection between the amount of success Wii Sports is enjoying and Microsoft and Sony decision to make Sports game compilation all of a sudden and market it heavily? Absoulutely there's a connection, they copied business decision to go after audience Nintendo captured. That's what they copied.

I don't think it's that SONY and MS looked at Nintendo and said we need to copy motion controls. They realized what games were selling and decided to create a product for that market. You could say they listened to the gaming audience.

Also both products have something extra and distinct from Nintedo. MS has ESPN and controller-less controls for moving through menus. This is for a new audience that current Wii doesn't capture.

SONY, while creating a supply of 'Wii Sports' type games hasn't forgotten hardcore gamers making the move a differnet option for action games (RE5 Socom4) despite those type of game not selling well on the Wii. In this case they're not only going after a new audience for the PS3, but also trying to attract current users to adopt motion controls.

It's true that both SONY and MS did not have motion controls before, but their new products are not simply copies of NIntendo's controls with Nintendo like games.

Around the Network
silicon said:

Saying it's "copying" is just a bunch of spin propoganda bull@#$%.

They did market research and are providing consumers with a new gameplay experience on console of their choise, as well as an HD option for motion controls.

More often than not, the short, to the point explanation is the real one while the longer, convoluted one is the spin.

So I'd rather go for:

"Saying they did "market research" and are providing consumers with a new gameplay experience on console of their choise, as well as an HD option for motion controls is just a bunch of spin propoganda bull@#$%.

They are copying."

Really, Move has more excuses even if the device itself is closer, but just look at the Knectic line up they showed yesterday: It's Wii Sports (with a few different games, mostly the same), Nintendogs, Wii Fit, Mario Kart, Just Dance and a Mini-game collection. And that's pretty much it. How can you say they weren't simply trying to cover the casual oriented games the Wii has by mainly looking at them and making they own, pretty close, version of each. Nothing original there. It's obvious they're aiming for a Wii image there. There's nothing original there.

Sure, they had ESPN, menu navigation and that chat thing, but those aren't even game-related. When it comes to games, they just tried to emulate the Wii experience, I find it hard to believe someone would disagree. They aven't even come up with something truly new along those lines.

of course they are copying Nintendo, and they are trying to sell something that more or less, already exists....FAIL!!

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

silicon said:

I don't think it's that SONY and MS looked at Nintendo and said we need to copy motion controls. They realized what games were selling and decided to create a product for that market. You could say they listened to the gaming audience.

Why they didn't listem to them in the first place then? There's obviously Nintendo involved somewhere =)

Wii Kinect Sports is a completely original concept.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

Well.... just look at what they are showing. Look at the games the show for Kinect... and tell me if there is a relation between the games that came out on the wii