By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How much was the Wii success due to motion controls?

dark_gh0st_b0y said:
the_lonely_gamer_123 said:

Agreed with Solid_Snake4RD. If the PS3 was cheaper and had better titles available at launch, the PS2 user base would've bought PS3s instead of Wiis, meaning that the PS3 would have won this gen. Needless to say, Nintendo fan boys will always buy Nintendo systems, so that helps them in sales. PS3 marketing was awful until Kevin Butler came in, while the Wii's marketing was top-notch. Cheap price also helped. 

no, Ps3 is Ps2 with better graphics and worst price

the experience is very similar (for average human beings), but the experience between Wii and Ps2/GC is very different and obvious , and that's what made Wii sell

Well, PS2=PS1 with better graphics and new successful franchises along with reiterations of great PS1 franchises (MGS, FF, GT) with reasonable price. So I didn't catch your point...

Human contact, the final frontier.

Around the Network

i say it was wii fit/wii sport

mario games use to tell alot of anyway, since they sold more console, games like mario kart benefited.

zelda metriod, sold pretty much the same they always sell, probably due exisiting fanbase. 20m that bought the gamecube

also console got a boost for being the hip thing to have for while, nintendo promoted with celebrities in the US.

To tell the truth I almost did not purchase the Wii when I found out it had motion controls... But where the hell else am I going to play Zelda. I can say now however I am glad that I did buyt it. The family and I have alot of fun with this machine.

Albion - Its Fun as Ballz !!!!!

dark_gh0st_b0y said:

Agreed with Solid_Snake4RD. If the PS3 was cheaper and had better titles available at launch, the PS2 user base would've bought PS3s instead of Wiis, meaning that the PS3 would have won this gen. Needless to say, Nintendo fan boys will always buy Nintendo systems, so that helps them in sales. PS3 marketing was awful until Kevin Butler came in, while the Wii's marketing was top-notch. Cheap price also helped. 

the experience is very similar (for average human beings), but the experience between Wii and Ps2/GC is very different and obvious , and that's what made Wii sell

Well, PS2=PS1 with better graphics and new successful franchises along with reiterations of great PS1 franchises (MGS, FF, GT) with reasonable price. So I didn't catch your point...

that's true, but Ps2 had almost zero competition, plus the dvd support (which was huge at that time) along with a normal price, and ALL the support from 3rd parties

now, not everyone cares about Ps3's blu-ray (so some choose Xbox360), and many more choose Wii, which provides something completely different

Ps3 is facing more competition, and does provide something very different than Xbox360

all in all, the difference between Ps3 and Ps2 is much smaller than what the difference is between Wii and Ps2, at least that's how average humans see it

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Mr Khan said:
dark_gh0st_b0y said:

Launch titles can have great impact on a platforms success, or not. PS1, PS2, and DS all started out pretty slow. PS3 could have used an at-launch killer app, but that wouldn't necessarily have given it momentum.

True. Very true. However, the year that the N64 came out, RE, Tekken 2, and Crash Bandicoot all came out, while the N64 had Super Mario 64 and I suppose Wave Race 64.  The PS2 had a spectacular 01 year- FF10, GT3:A-Spec, MGS2:Sons of Liberty, Twisted Metal:Black, GTA 3, Devil May Cry, and Jak and Daxter: The Precursor's Legacy.  DS had a good 05- Mario Kart DS sold a bundle. The X360, on the other hand, 2006 paled in comparison to the DS, PS1 or PS2 in the years where they had competition- Gears of War lost big time to Wii Sports. 

Around the Network

100%.

dark_gh0st_b0y said:
dark_gh0st_b0y said:

that's true, but Ps2 had almost zero competition, plus the dvd support (which was huge at that time) along with a normal price, and ALL the support from 3rd parties

now, not everyone cares about Ps3's blu-ray (so some choose Xbox360), and many more choose Wii, which provides something completely different

Ps3 is facing more competition, and does provide something very different than Xbox360

all in all, the difference between Ps3 and Ps2 is much smaller than what the difference is between Wii and Ps2, at least that's how average humans see it

That is also true. I know at least five people who bought a PS2 to play DVDs. DVD players were pricey, and some cost just a little less than a PS2 or even more. Now with blu-ray, now those players are like 150 bucks. And when blu-ray players were released, they were pricey, but not as pricey as a $599 PS3. I love looking back at pre-launch forums and most gamers seem to agree that blu-ray would be to the PS3 like DVDs were to PS2. Haha totally not the case. This gen is a lot different to all the other gens, as the Wii offered a completely different experience to casual and hardcore gamers alike. 

it was cheap, and it was the only system with motion controls at the time, since new ones are on the way

Motion controls, great games that supported it with mass appeal, great marketing, and an affordable price. If you take one of those away , The Wii wouldn't be where it is today.

bleep. bloop. blaap.

If it weren't for motion controls most people wouldn't even know the Wii exists.