By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How much was the Wii success due to motion controls?

Around the Network

previous generations of nintendo consoles had 20-30 million uses so I am betting that the success is definately down to motion controls, new gamers have been added to the user base, for example my mum she's has never been interested in gaming untill the wii came along, it looks like a tv controller she told me that is why she was less scared of it, but she only plays on it for about 30mins per week.

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

Motion controls ==> Wii Sports ==> Success

jneul said:

previous generations of nintendo consoles had 20-30 million uses so I am betting that the success is definately down to motion controls, new gamers have been added to the user base, for example my mum she's has never been interested in gaming untill the wii came along, it looks like a tv controller she told me that is why she was less scared of it, but she only plays on it for about 30mins per week.

ur right about that jneul

exept for the snes and nes

Nintendo made me a gamer so I'd be stupid to ever try to forget that                                             like so many people nowadays

The Top  Best Consoles Are SNES and PSX 

Currently Playing: 1.Monster Hunter tri 2.MegaMan 10

Motion Controls were a hot new topic that created interest by itself.

Proper marketing highlighted the interest and created hype.

The games Nintendo made/makes cemented that interest and turned it into purchases.

Around the Network
Gamerace said:

My God, still after so many years so many of you don't get it?

Is wasn't the motion controls in and of themselves, and this is why Move is destined to FAIL.

It certainly wasn't the price, the GC was always cheapest and ended up last.

By the same token the Nintendo franchises and fanboys couldn't make GC a success either.

If those things had anything to do with it (they helped in the beginning sure) then the GC not the PS2 would have dominated last gen.

The Wii succeeded because it showed non-gamers, ex-gamers and casual gamers that they too could enjoy Wii games without having to learn complicated controls.   That's still the main reason why Wii sells and look at the games it's sells - Wii Fit, NSMBW, Mario Kart, Just Dance, WSR (now packed-in), Wii Play.   Those games are forever in the top 10 or top 30.  Since they launched.   Why?  People anyone, regardless of age, sex, or game experience can pick up those games and have fun without learning gaming controls or sensibilities.  

Zelda was not a huge success - 7m.  Neither was SMG or even Brawl in comparison to the 'Wii' titles.   With the exception of Wii Music, Nintendo has been very smart in the use of Wii in games.    If a 50 yr old woman sees Wii in the title, then she knows she can play that game and have fun.  If she doesn't then it'll be too complicated, require too much co-ordination or too much of a learning curve or just be a half-assed 'Game Party' type crap game.

Motion isn't the secret, making games accessible and fun to everyone is. Motion just facilitated that.  And based on the PS4 adds, Sony clearly hasn't learned a thing from Wii.     What MS does with Natal remains to be seen, but I suspect they are closer to finding the Wii formula.   However Natal has to work, which is debatable currently, and MS relies toooo heavily on 3rd parties who by and large, still don't 'get' it either and therefore can't help Natal to succeed in the market that's Nintendo's forged for themselves.  And Rare?  Please.  Rare makes great quality games but not accessible ones.

Right in the point. Accessibility is what made the Wii a success. My mother, that bugged me for years about video and computer games got one and I had a lot of fun playing Wii Sports last week. She wouldn't try to play a PS3 game and I don't think she would be good enough to enjoy it. Most people don't invest sufficient time to find a dual stick controller something actually natural to playing. Actually, after playing the Wii for a while, I tried MGS: Twin Snakes and I was shocked as how clumsy the controls are. Many games developed to the PS3 make use of most of the 14 buttons available. It doesn't matter how good is the tutorial, this is complicated. I suspect the reason some well know franchises failed in the Wii is because the developer refused to re-design the interface focusing in accessibility. Take Call of Duty, for example. Modern Warfare uses most buttons in the Wii remote and nunchuck, but many of them could be removed if they were more thoughtful. Why grenades and special attacks not in the weapon cycling buttons, for example? Nintendo games are great sellers because they are accessible. New Super Mario Bros. is actually very hard but the controls are simple and most people can understand what's going on. That's why many non gamers can have fun with it. The Wii series games are all based in intuitive controls, reason why they are good sellers among the expanded audience. All this and an affordable price made the Wii the leader this generation.

Khuutra said:
thx1139 said:

100% due to Motion Controls and WiiFit.

I would have taken this absolutely seriously if not for your sig.

lol

Ghazi4 said:
Khuutra said:
thx1139 said:

100% due to Motion Controls and WiiFit.

I would have taken this absolutely seriously if not for your sig.

lol

Haha

Human contact, the final frontier.

67 percent or two thirds.

Monteblanco said:
Gamerace said:

My God, still after so many years so many of you don't get it?

Is wasn't the motion controls in and of themselves, and this is why Move is destined to FAIL.

It certainly wasn't the price, the GC was always cheapest and ended up last.

By the same token the Nintendo franchises and fanboys couldn't make GC a success either.

If those things had anything to do with it (they helped in the beginning sure) then the GC not the PS2 would have dominated last gen.

The Wii succeeded because it showed non-gamers, ex-gamers and casual gamers that they too could enjoy Wii games without having to learn complicated controls.   That's still the main reason why Wii sells and look at the games it's sells - Wii Fit, NSMBW, Mario Kart, Just Dance, WSR (now packed-in), Wii Play.   Those games are forever in the top 10 or top 30.  Since they launched.   Why?  People anyone, regardless of age, sex, or game experience can pick up those games and have fun without learning gaming controls or sensibilities.  

Zelda was not a huge success - 7m.  Neither was SMG or even Brawl in comparison to the 'Wii' titles.   With the exception of Wii Music, Nintendo has been very smart in the use of Wii in games.    If a 50 yr old woman sees Wii in the title, then she knows she can play that game and have fun.  If she doesn't then it'll be too complicated, require too much co-ordination or too much of a learning curve or just be a half-assed 'Game Party' type crap game.

Motion isn't the secret, making games accessible and fun to everyone is. Motion just facilitated that.  And based on the PS4 adds, Sony clearly hasn't learned a thing from Wii.     What MS does with Natal remains to be seen, but I suspect they are closer to finding the Wii formula.   However Natal has to work, which is debatable currently, and MS relies toooo heavily on 3rd parties who by and large, still don't 'get' it either and therefore can't help Natal to succeed in the market that's Nintendo's forged for themselves.  And Rare?  Please.  Rare makes great quality games but not accessible ones.

Right in the point. Accessibility is what made the Wii a success. My mother, that bugged me for years about video and computer games got one and I had a lot of fun playing Wii Sports last week. She wouldn't try to play a PS3 game and I don't think she would be good enough to enjoy it. Most people don't invest sufficient time to find a dual stick controller something actually natural to playing. Actually, after playing the Wii for a while, I tried MGS: Twin Snakes and I was shocked as how clumsy the controls are. Many games developed to the PS3 make use of most of the 14 buttons available. It doesn't matter how good is the tutorial, this is complicated. I suspect the reason some well know franchises failed in the Wii is because the developer refused to re-design the interface focusing in accessibility. Take Call of Duty, for example. Modern Warfare uses most buttons in the Wii remote and nunchuck, but many of them could be removed if they were more thoughtful. Why grenades and special attacks not in the weapon cycling buttons, for example? Nintendo games are great sellers because they are accessible. New Super Mario Bros. is actually very hard but the controls are simple and most people can understand what's going on. That's why many non gamers can have fun with it. The Wii series games are all based in intuitive controls, reason why they are good sellers among the expanded audience. All this and an affordable price made the Wii the leader this generation.

Agreed 100%, all though I do not particularly like the Wii Series, but your reasoning is right. The less complex games are the ones that are dominating the marketplace right now. I think a lot of gamers have a tough time explaining the Wii's success as it isn't due to their definition of, "quality software." For example, the PS2 clearly had the most quality software, and the PS1 had quality software no doubt about it. So did the SNES. And the NES. And, come to think about it, the Wii has quality software, just not in the eyes of hardcore gamers that are not Nintendo fans. So, in a way, nothing has changed.

Human contact, the final frontier.