By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How much was the Wii success due to motion controls?

Now that all these new motion controls are coming out... I started to wonder about Wii success.

I own Super Mario Bros Wii. It's a fun game and a huge success but it doesn't really use the motion controls. Other Wii games like Mario Cart don't use motion controls either.

I also own Wii Fit Plus. While I think this is actually a really useful and fun game it also doesn't really use motion controls. (Yeah, you use them to go through menus but they're not an active part of the game play).

On top of that, the only Wii game I dever bought that really uses motion controls was Dead Space Extraction. That game uses the motion controls in an awesome way... but it was a commercial success.

On the other side of things, Wii came out at a price much cheaper then other consoles.The Wii doesn't also require an HD. Some people might think you need one in order to play PS3 or X360 (i.e. the cost of a PS3 is really the cost of the console plus a new tv).

Could this have JUST to do with good market research on Nintendos part?

Am I missing a lot of numbers? (I probably am)

How much is Wii sucess due to motion controls vs. word of mouth or low cost or Branding?

So Correct me, or argue, agree or disagree.

Around the Network

It was successful because it was cheap, Nintendo marketing, hype from Nintendo loyalists, the potential that hardcore gamers found in motion controls and the accessibility that non-gamers found with them.

And later, the same things in relation to Wii Fit.

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

60% motion controls
20% affordability
20% Nintendo fans

--OkeyDokey-- said:

60% motion controls
20% affordability
20% Nintendo fans

75% Motion Controls - This was the biggest hype Nintendo had ever recieved for a home console launch and it kept pace only because of the motion controls and the games that used them best (Wii Play/Wii Sports).

5% Affordability - PS2 was less than half the price and had many more casual/hardcore games out at cheaper prices as well so not many people bought it due to it being affordable.

20% Nintendo Fans - NO need to even explain.

without motion controls and its games, the wii would be just another nintendo console , u know mario this and mario that games

Around the Network

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=111169

Based on software, I'm forced to say that it was the games that motion controls facilitated, and not the motion controls themselves.

Hardware is just lumps of metal and plastic. Without software it is nothing. Realize that the software that Nintendo OFFERED with it's motion controls is what generated sales AND continues to do so.

...It's pretty simple actually.

The Interweb is about overreaction, this is what makes it great!

...Imagine how boring the interweb would be if everyone thought logically?

100% due to Motion Controls and WiiFit.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

thx1139 said:

100% due to Motion Controls and WiiFit.

I would have taken this absolutely seriously if not for your sig.

Just try to imagine the Wii using only GC controllers.

Now would anyone realistically expect to see the Wii sell anything even remotely near the same numbers as it did in reality?

GC 1.5 claims would be a lot more justified.

Or for that matter, would Wii Sports or Wii Fit be anything near the same experience without the Wii remote controls or Balance Board?

Price also had a major factor and I'm still inclined to dismiss all those claims to the contrary.

Just try imagining the Wii with an opening price of say $599. Or even $399.

Now would anyone realistically expect to see the Wii sell anything even remotely near the same numbers as it did in reality?

The Nintendo name really only accounts for the same core audience that has always favored Nintendo consoles, which maybe only accounts for at most 1/4th of the overall user base, which would have brought sales more in line with the GC, which despite its market position, still had all the classic Nintendo IPs seen again on the Wii.

While the Nintendo name helps, being synonymous with quality game development, it essentially has its own built in audience who will buy whatever console Nintendo releases even if just to buy Mario Bros, Mario Cart, Zelda, Metroid, etc. once again.