By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EEDAR- Sony position Move as upgrade to Wii, devs more excited about 3DS

Solid_Snake4RD said:
Christian973 said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Christian973 said:

While Sony and Microsoft are playing "catch-up" with Nintendo, Nintendo is thinking about something original and innovative that the competition can play catch up later on next gen.

And this thread is kind of funny too.

actually every company is thinking of innovation for next gen to sell consoles

Because Nintendo did it and achieved great success because of it.

just because nintendo did it and achieved great succes doesn't mean all other companies aren't and innovation don't  work all the time

and also that Wii's innovation wasn't the only factor in it being succesful but the leadin brand PS3 being too expensive

Are you seriously going to start going back and forth with the price options again. Didn't numerous members already pointed out numerous times that the Wii's price point wasn't the only thing that made it succesful? What did the Ps3 and 360 brought to gaming this gen? HD? Nintendo taught us that HD graphics didn't work this generation and that the casual don't give a flying **** about graphics. If there are FUN games it'll sell. Wii sold because of the great experience it offered people with Wii Sports. Not the price point. Stop trying to use that reasoning to back up your so called "facts" dude.

3DS Friend Code:   4596-9822-6909

Around the Network
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Grimes said:

I think Nintendo actually has more freedom than MS and Sony to develop completely new hardware. It will be relatively easy to emulate the Wii, since it is less powerful. Look at the difficulties Sony has had emulating the PS2 because its hardware was so unique. The Wii won't have that problem. Nintendo can use a completely new architecture because they won't be bogged down with complex emulation.

And if Sony and MS wait too long to refresh, it not only gives Nintendo more time but also opens the door for Apple.

i don't think PS3 had difficulty emulating PS2 on PS3 but to keep to keep PS2 sales to make up for PS3 losses

now that PS3 is making profit,they will launch an emulator pretty soon

i don't think APPLE HAS SPACE ATLEAST IN THE GAMING SECTOR but they can do wonder in USA with their image being the 'COOL' company

If the PS2 was so easy to emulate, don't you think they would have implemented it instead of using more expensive hardware components to do so? Or were they just trying to trick people into buying more expensive hardware?

Apple is a global company now. Their success is global, it is not limited to the US. Before the iPhone, Apple had no presence in the phone sector and we know how that all turned out. Before the iPod, Apple had no presence in audio devices and we all know how that turned out. Don't underestimate Apple's ability to tap into markets if it thinks it has an opportunity.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

Christian973 said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Christian973 said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Christian973 said:

While Sony and Microsoft are playing "catch-up" with Nintendo, Nintendo is thinking about something original and innovative that the competition can play catch up later on next gen.

And this thread is kind of funny too.

actually every company is thinking of innovation for next gen to sell consoles

Because Nintendo did it and achieved great success because of it.

just because nintendo did it and achieved great succes doesn't mean all other companies aren't and innovation don't  work all the time

and also that Wii's innovation wasn't the only factor in it being succesful but the leadin brand PS3 being too expensive

Are you seriously going to start going back and forth with the price options again. Didn't numerous members already pointed out numerous times that the Wii's price point wasn't the only thing that made it succesful? What did the Ps3 and 360 brought to gaming this gen? HD? Nintendo taught us that HD graphics didn't work this generation and that the casual don't give a flying **** about graphics. If there are FUN games it'll sell. Wii sold because of the great experience it offered people with Wii Sports. Not the price point. Stop trying to use that reasoning to back up your so called "facts" dude.

no they didn't point out anything

they were just giving their point of view

just because some people don't know how  the strategies of business work,the more amount of people doesn't make it to be true

the price doesn't matter but if with the bran PLaystation was then,at Wii's price they would have had a start like PS2 and then what would have Wii donwe,not so good numbers

nintendo didn't taught us anything,yeah if Wii would have sold with PS3 at its price at launch then that would have been something but not in the current situation

the facts,who talked about facts? - its just how business strategies work

and stop using DUDE,it is so fucking cliche

Grimes said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Grimes said:

I think Nintendo actually has more freedom than MS and Sony to develop completely new hardware. It will be relatively easy to emulate the Wii, since it is less powerful. Look at the difficulties Sony has had emulating the PS2 because its hardware was so unique. The Wii won't have that problem. Nintendo can use a completely new architecture because they won't be bogged down with complex emulation.

And if Sony and MS wait too long to refresh, it not only gives Nintendo more time but also opens the door for Apple.

i don't think PS3 had difficulty emulating PS2 on PS3 but to keep to keep PS2 sales to make up for PS3 losses

now that PS3 is making profit,they will launch an emulator pretty soon

i don't think APPLE HAS SPACE ATLEAST IN THE GAMING SECTOR but they can do wonder in USA with their image being the 'COOL' company

If the PS2 was so easy to emulate, don't you think they would have implemented it instead of using more expensive hardware components to do so? Or were they just trying to trick people into buying more expensive hardware?

Apple is a global company now. Their success is global, it is not limited to the US. Before the iPhone, Apple had no presence in the phone sector and we know how that all turned out. Before the iPod, Apple had no presence in audio devices and we all know how that turned out. Don't underestimate Apple's ability to tap into markets if it thinks it has an opportunity.

the original PS3's had PS2 backward compatiblity as they didn't develop the software but they also recognised that it only brought them more losses and dropped PS2 sales

70% of APPLE sales are in US.THE SUCCESS is far from global.

before IPOD they enterd into alot of sectors and they bombed there and we happened what happened to them and how they turned out

the IPOD music player market is very casual

the iphone was success because of the IPOD success. and also that the PHONE market is very different from the Gaming market.there are so many companies,uncountable and again very casual.

i'm not saying they could but it will be very tough

the iphone consumer doesn't follow games or play them regulary,they use it for music,calling,internet,etc.very casual

You are rewriting history. Before the iPod, Apple made computers and little else. The reason Apple did poorly in the 90's is because they had bad management. That's history now, Apple is a different company now.

People spend nearly $1000/yr on their iPhone. Calling that a casual market is laughable.

And you are making fake statistics about Apple sales. 58% of Apple's sales were international last quarter, that's a fact. You shouldn't make up phony statistics because it makes you look like a idiot and a liar.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

Around the Network
Christian973 said:

I don't know.  I really believe that price was still easily the biggest mitigating factor in peoples purchases of the HD consoles (Which is why the Wii became a viability).  

Think about the market for a minute here.  Nintendo has a long track record of being quality and solid.  Sony does too but Sony's newest machine was the one out of the three that was most anticipated.  Simply because the PS1/PS2 were both amazing systems and widely accepted and loved.

Microsoft jumped out the gate first at 400$.  A pretty steep price but still somewhat reasonable.  The graphics early on in the HD systems weren't especially light years ahead of the prior systems.  There wasn't any killer software.  Microsoft was still unproven by and large.  They were an unknown quantity that not tons of people took the plunge with.  (In large part waiting for Sony / Nintendo (more established  video game companies) products. 

Sony / Nintendo come out.  Nintendo is significantly cheaper than either option.  Sony is absurdly high priced.  At this point, what is going through a consumers head?   The price difference is just too much to ignore.   The Wii comes out at 250$  with a brand new control scheme unlike anyone has really used.  

Microsoft and Sony have 150$ and 350$ higher priced machines.  The choice is obvious to casual who is interested modestly in gaming.   With the plan of buying maybe a Xbox or PS3 down the road.   Price was easily the biggest factor but motion controls played their role in the sense of hyping the product.

But I don't believe the hype would have even been nearly as high if the PS3 came in at a price say like (300$) originally.  I think the PS3 would have cannibalized 360s sales if it were 300$ and I think it would have chewed some of the Wii's sales on a week to week.   And the result IMO?   A competitive race between the PS3/Wii at this point in the generation and that would be where the PS3 would have an advantage moving forward.   Obviously though, 300$ was completely unachievable for the PS3 in 06'.

Despite Iwata leading Nintendo to print buckets load of money, they don't know how to run their business and any random forum poster would know better than Nintendo.

Despite being in the first spot, they are doomed to play catch up with its competitors.

Rpruett said:
Christian973 said:

I don't know.  I really believe that price was still easily the biggest mitigating factor in peoples purchases of the HD consoles (Which is why the Wii became a viability).  

Think about the market for a minute here.  Nintendo has a long track record of being quality and solid.  Sony does too but Sony's newest machine was the one out of the three that was most anticipated.  Simply because the PS1/PS2 were both amazing systems and widely accepted and loved.

Microsoft jumped out the gate first at 400$.  A pretty steep price but still somewhat reasonable.  The graphics early on in the HD systems weren't especially light years ahead of the prior systems.  There wasn't any killer software.  Microsoft was still unproven by and large.  They were an unknown quantity that not tons of people took the plunge with.  (In large part waiting for Sony / Nintendo (more established  video game companies) products. 

Sony / Nintendo come out.  Nintendo is significantly cheaper than either option.  Sony is absurdly high priced.  At this point, what is going through a consumers head?   The price difference is just too much to ignore.   The Wii comes out at 250$  with a brand new control scheme unlike anyone has really used.  

Microsoft and Sony have 150$ and 350$ higher priced machines.  The choice is obvious to casual who is interested modestly in gaming.   With the plan of buying maybe a Xbox or PS3 down the road.   Price was easily the biggest factor but motion controls played their role in the sense of hyping the product.

But I don't believe the hype would have even been nearly as high if the PS3 came in at a price say like (300$) originally.  I think the PS3 would have cannibalized 360s sales if it were 300$ and I think it would have chewed some of the Wii's sales on a week to week.   And the result IMO?   A competitive race between the PS3/Wii at this point in the generation and that would be where the PS3 would have an advantage moving forward.   Obviously though, 300$ was completely unachievable for the PS3 in 06'.

THANKYOU

these people just disregard how brand power and momentum work

Grimes said:

You are rewriting history. Before the iPod, Apple made computers and little else. The reason Apple did poorly in the 90's is because they had bad management. That's history now, Apple is a different company now.

People spend nearly $1000/yr on their iPhone. Calling that a casual market is laughable.

And you are making fake statistics about Apple sales. 58% of Apple's sales were international last quarter, that's a fact. You shouldn't make up phony statistics because it makes you look like a idiot and a liar.

what were those mobile PDA's,tablet kind things

and the gaming console

i know APPLE is a different company but that doesn't make them conquer everything and Microsoft,Nintendo and SONY were too a very different company then,

you really don't know what i meant by casuals there.just because they spend much doesn't mean they aren't casual,just that they don't follow things.also in gaming it requires you to be concentrated on gaming which is not the case on a phone

Tweens spend $1000s on Miley Cyrus and other products,doesn't mean they aren't casuals.they run behind the new 'COOL' things

THE 58% you mentioned were including ipod,i was talking about iphone

Solid_Snake4RD said:
Grimes said:

what were those mobile PDA's,tablet kind things

and the gaming console

i know APPLE is a different company but that doesn't make them conquer everything and Microsoft,Nintendo and SONY were too a very different company then,

you really don't know what i meant by casuals there.just because they spend much doesn't mean they aren't casual,just that they don't follow things.also in gaming it requires you to be concentrated on gaming which is not the case on a phone

Tweens spend $1000s on Miley Cyrus and other products,doesn't mean they aren't casuals.they run behind the new 'COOL' things

THE 58% you mentioned were including ipod,i was talking about iphone

Around 55% of iPhone sales are international currently. The growth rate internationally is higher than the Americas as well.

Comparing iPhone buyers to Mylie Cyrus fans is such a joke. Many of the people buying the iPhone are professionals who see it as a work tool. It performs the functions they want in a form factors they like, so they are willing to spend money on it. Many of the people rely on their phone to conduct serious business, I'd hardly call that casual use.