By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EEDAR- Sony position Move as upgrade to Wii, devs more excited about 3DS

I think the point that needs to be made here is that eventually (Sometime from this gen to the end of the next gen) most households will have an HD ready television set.   These people will be used to HD programming, etc. 

I think it's pretty obvious that Nintendo may very well need to release an HD system with the direction things are headed.  A system atleast capable of 720p. 

In this regard,  Sony does have a good strategy.  I don't believe how you can expect Nintendo to go what amounts to around the next 10 years or so without an upgrade to the HD-front. 

Given the typical strategy of Sony (10 year lifecycle) the PS3 isn't going anywhere anytime soon.  The Move directly stands as what amounts to an upgraded Wii without the First Party Nintendo titles (While the Wii 3rd party titles are pretty meh IMHO, it still gives owners options.  This is where if Sony can release a few solid games from in-house they will really hit pretty big.  But I fully expect Wii / PS3 3rd party games to make an appearance on both systems.  Big titles (Like Kingdom Hearts 3, etc) which again makes people purchasing question why even bother with a Wii unless you're dead set on specific Nintendo titles. 

This generation might surprise people though.  What if Sony / Microsoft push this generation longer?  With the high development costs, high entry points into this generation.  One has to wonder, maybe this generation lasts much longer for MS / Sony?   And if it does,  the moves they make now will definitely impact where Nintendo goes.   Since Nintendo has the most work to do in terms of their hardware.

Around the Network
TX109 said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
TX109 said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
TX109 said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
TX109 said:

@Solid_Snake4RD

do you honestly think that the Wii was only successful because of its pricepoint? no, the wii was successful because of its new ideas (motion controls), great games, and nintendo targeting the HUGE casual audience. which it did successfully. price had very little to do with it. they arent the massive deciding factor you seem to think they are.

No i don't think Wii was only succesful because of its price point

you aren't understanding what i am trying to say here

for example Dreamcast and Gamecube were also very good consoles but they just got overshadowed by the mighty Playstation 2 which has a lot of momentum from PS1 and the $299 price point.

the Wii was succesful cause it got on with the casual who don't follow gaming but most that is popular,so if PAS3 was to be $299 it would have gotten big sales at the start like PS2 and Wii would never have been popular as casuals wouldn't have come to know about it

why do you think that "casuals" only follow what is popular?

the wii targeted the casual audience to great affect with fun pick-up-and-play games (much like the PS2) and interesting new tech. im sure if the PS3 had been $300 at launch it would have done WAY better than it is now, but it still wouldnt be as big as the wii. the wii won "casuals", which is a massive ausience, with strait-up fun and easy games and a new way to play them. that is something Sony didnt do.

PS2 didn't become popular because it was fun to play

but because when it luanched,it from the start with all the hardcore gamers had big sales so it was popular

if PS3 had started at $299,it would have been in first place because from start everybody would have upgraded

people wouldn't have moved onto the 360 and wii

u think with Nintendo name being equal to shit in console space when Wii launched and Playstation brand being the biggest thing.Wii would still have sold well................lmao

so your saying the PS2 was popular because it wasnt fun to play and it survived and thrived only on the hardcore who only bought it because it was sony?...wha?

the wii is popular not because nintendo made the system, but because it succesfully targeted an audience far bigger than "the hardcore" audience, the "casuals". you know, those who didnt play video games or even those who didnt want a super hardcore system. and hey, some may have got it because it was cheaper, but the low price did not dictate the wii's succes alone as you seem to think. most bought the Wii mainly because it was a fun and easy system with alot of fun and easy games and an interesting new way to play. whereas Sony only targeted the hardcore which was a mistake. nintendo saw the potential in this audience, took a risk, and succeeded.

you think that brand name and price point=100% of all sales......................lmao

no i didn't say PS2 was not popular but that at the start of PS2 generation,hardcore gamers from the start bought the system so it become more popular

you really think a casual goes onto upgrading their game system as fast as a new generation launches.no they don't but hardcores do and thats what helped PS2 and the old succes of PS1.

do you think everybody out there even knew when Wii was launched or announced,no they din't they just followed it because of it was the thing to get that time.the Wii sales weren't good at first but they just took off in the second year.now tell me if PS3 was $299,it would have taken off from the first year itself and then Wii sales would have been low like you can see now,even though PS3 is cheap and has good games,Wii succes just overshadowed it and it is being difficult for the PS3 to climb in sales

brand name and price point alone don't make 100% of sales but they make you have a good start and once you have that,it is hard for other people to dethrone you

you think the iphones are better than the other powerful phones,no they arent't but APPLE names blinds people who just don't follow specs.

so your saying people have no idea what they are buying? your saying that people are just buying it because it is cheap? 

and if the hardcore helped boost sales for the PS2(which cost more than the GC) why didnt they help the sales of the PS3?

not everybody who doesn't follow video games and the industry was ignorant to the wii, while knowing exactly what the PS3 was. how many times must it be said? Nintendo managed to capture the eyes of many people who werent into video games, as well they managed to catch the eyes of those who wanted a (fairly) simple, family friendly system. this was achieved through great advertisement, new innovations, and games that appealed to those kind of people. whats the point of buying a system just because its cheap? my memory may be fuzzy, but i didnt see sony doing that. in fact i remember sony trying to distance themselves from the "casual" market. to say that people had no idea what the wii was is ridiculous. if that were the case, the wii wouldnt be so popular.

and maybe some people did pick up the wii because it was popular, but that happens with virtually everything. including the PS2.

you may be right, brand and price may give a boost in the begining, but saying that the wii's success and the PS3's....failure/stumble/ lack of success(take your pick) were all entirely based on price is completely wrong.

the facts are all there, and the fact that you refuse to see them is beyond me. im done here. good-bye

you really don't understand what the other person is saying,do you?

i don't mean that people buy anything out ther without knowing its specs and for low price,but that the brand recognition helps the launch alot and the popularity then brings in more consumer.

PLAYSATION 3 would have been succesful with a low price and the huge brand name

hardcores helped PS3 sales launch but not to the extent as not every hardcore could buy the expensive launch PS3

YES the casuals picked up the PS2 also because of popularity but that was only because of the PS2 big launch sales and cause every hardcore was able to upgrade there system cause it was at an affordable price

the facts are here.............wat facts are u talking about

Wii would have been succesful but only like the dreamcast,GC,XBOX

Yes yes, brand recognition. Just like nintendo with the N64 and Sony with Ps3.

I think Nintendo actually has more freedom than MS and Sony to develop completely new hardware. It will be relatively easy to emulate the Wii, since it is less powerful. Look at the difficulties Sony has had emulating the PS2 because its hardware was so unique. The Wii won't have that problem. Nintendo can use a completely new architecture because they won't be bogged down with complex emulation.

And if Sony and MS wait too long to refresh, it not only gives Nintendo more time but also opens the door for Apple.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

While Sony and Microsoft are playing "catch-up" with Nintendo, Nintendo is thinking about something original and innovative that the competition can play catch up later on next gen.

And this thread is kind of funny too.

3DS Friend Code:   4596-9822-6909

Around the Network
Maynard_Tool said:

Yes yes, brand recognition. Just like nintendo with the N64 and Sony with Ps3.

the Nintendo brand recognition had drop till they launched N64 and PS3 was too expensive

Christian973 said:

While Sony and Microsoft are playing "catch-up" with Nintendo, Nintendo is thinking about something original and innovative that the competition can play catch up later on next gen.

actually every company is thinking of innovation for next gen to sell consoles

Solid_Snake4RD said:
Christian973 said:

Because Nintendo did it and achieved great success because of it.

3DS Friend Code:   4596-9822-6909

Grimes said:

I think Nintendo actually has more freedom than MS and Sony to develop completely new hardware. It will be relatively easy to emulate the Wii, since it is less powerful. Look at the difficulties Sony has had emulating the PS2 because its hardware was so unique. The Wii won't have that problem. Nintendo can use a completely new architecture because they won't be bogged down with complex emulation.

And if Sony and MS wait too long to refresh, it not only gives Nintendo more time but also opens the door for Apple.

i don't think PS3 had difficulty emulating PS2 on PS3 but to keep to keep PS2 sales to make up for PS3 losses

now that PS3 is making profit,they will launch an emulator pretty soon

i don't think APPLE HAS SPACE ATLEAST IN THE GAMING SECTOR but they can do wonder in USA with their image being the 'COOL' company

Christian973 said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Christian973 said:

Because Nintendo did it and achieved great success because of it.

just because nintendo did it and achieved great succes doesn't mean all other companies aren't and innovation don't  work all the time

and also that Wii's innovation wasn't the only factor in it being succesful but the leadin brand PS3 being too expensive