By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why is'nt soccer more popular in America.

Kasz216 said:

Why should peopel worry about offending someone for using a more accurate term?

That's silly.

If anything I'd call you more disrespectful by calling it an improper name... by pretending it's the only sport called Football when there is a huge grouping including Rugby, American Football and many other sports.

Your the one being disrespectufl and arrogant.

Exactly. But You use the word Football and Yanks get offended.

Go figure.

Also you are being hugely disrespectful by continuing this campaign of putting words into my mouth. Tell me where I ahve said only football can be called football and all other offshoots should relinquesh all usage of that name? You cant.

If you can't back up you desperate claims maybe you should stop being disrespectful, arrogant and a hypocrite.

Oh and stop trying to rename a sport older than the country you was born in. Arrogance of the highest order. You don't like football we get it. But ignore it then. Dont take out this campaign of hate. You make yourself look foolish

Around the Network
Lord Flashheart said:
Kasz216 said:

Why should peopel worry about offending someone for using a more accurate term?

That's silly.

If anything I'd call you more disrespectful by calling it an improper name... by pretending it's the only sport called Football when there is a huge grouping including Rugby, American Football and many other sports.

Your the one being disrespectufl and arrogant.

Exactly. But You use the word Football and Yanks get offended.

Go figure.

Also you are being hugely disrespectful by continuing this campaign of putting words into my mouth. Tell me where I ahve said only football can be called football and all other offshoots should relinquesh all usage of that name? You cant.

If you can't back up you desperate claims maybe you should stop being disrespectful, arrogant and a hypocrite.

Oh and stop trying to rename a sport older than the country you was born in. Arrogance of the highest order. You don't like football we get it. But ignore it then. Dont take out this campaign of hate. You make yourself look foolish

I don't get offended when people call it football... I get offended when people get pissy when we call it Soccer.

When it's a more accurate term. 

Also, uh... I do like Soccer.   I just like calling it by a more accurate name because i'm a fan of sports in general.

Do you want me to quote where you said you get mad when people call it the more accurate and british coined name?

Kasz216 said:

I don't get offended when people call it football... I get offended when people get pissy when we call it Soccer.

When it's a more accurate term. 

Also, uh... I do like Soccer.   I just like calling it by a more accurate name because i'm a fan of sports in general.

Do you want me to quote where you said you get mad when people call it the more accurate and british coined name?

But you strike me as someone whos NEEDS to be right all the time so why would you be so pissy about being wrong?

If you called it by a more accurate name you would call it by it's name... Football.

you are an odd fellow.

Well, now that you've drawn with the fourth best team in the world, you'd better start liking football.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Oh, and Soccer is an English word. I have nothing against English people who say "soccer"; it's a nickname for football.

I just don't like it when Americans say "soccer" when they use the original name to describe a game which doesn't really involve feet.

Around the Network
Kantor said:

Well, now that you've drawn with the fourth best team in the world, you'd better start liking football.

The netherlands?

And I can't believe I'm going to say this but I agree whole-heartedly with Kantor.

I feel sick.

Why is it that two of the most popular soccer threads in Off Topic have to have really boring, pissy debates? Seriously, it sounds like some people here are on the verge of tears. I mean, gee. There's already been a dozen reasons listed why Soccer isn't as popular in the United States as the rest of the world, and they're all fairly accurate. Can the people who are overreacting and insulting others calm down just a bit?

Join in. Its fun. they are getting REALLY upset.

Lord Flashheart said:
Kantor said:

The netherlands?

And I can't believe I'm going to say this but I agree whole-heartedly with Kantor.

I feel sick.

Look, the bookmakers say we're the fourth best team in the world (in that we have the fourth best odds of winning the World Cup) so I'm not about to sell us short.

Oh, and thanks. I think.

MontanaHatchet said:

Why is it that two of the most popular soccer threads in Off Topic have to have really boring, pissy debates? Seriously, it sounds like some people here are on the verge of tears. I mean, gee. There's already been a dozen reasons listed why Soccer isn't as popular in the United States as the rest of the world, and they're all fairly accurate. Can the people who are overreacting and insulting others calm down just a bit?

Welcome to Off Topic. It's this, Atheism vs. Theism, Obama Sucks or Toastboy in here.