By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft says Halo 3 has outsold a ton of Sony games via NPD

tinybigman108 said:
Squilliam said:
tinybigman108 said:

hahahahahahaha yea like i said i'd rather take the variety of those games from developers i love over the 3 exclusives (in this case the 2 you named here).   sorry dude i don't limit myself to just shooters especially one i don't like (halo), and another while pretty good (gears) with a crappy online (gears2)

man i tell ya if it wasnt for mass effect, splinter cell, and alan wake i wouldn't have even touched my 360 this year. while on my ps3 this year i've played Heavy Rain, GoW3, 3D Dot, RDR, Star Ocean Inter, ModNation, Dante's Inferno, Final Fantasy 13, WKC, Lost Planet 2, GTA Liberty City Stories, MLB10 The Show.  notice how among this list i have 6 exclusives from different genres?  that's right variety the very thing i was talking about.  so you go ahead and play your same 2 games over and over while i'll go on playing my variety of games.

YAWN!

Assumption is the mother of all... Anyway I play games which have great replayability. You don't get that from Sony. How many shooters has Sony bought out with decent local play? 0. With a console which defines itself as the central media centre for the main TV in the house why would I want to keep anything which cannot be played more than one person at once? My PC is a personal item and theres no expectation for local play which makes single player only games OK. My console is attached to a TV in a room which sees a lot of use. How can I even play a single player console game again if they are so lame as to be ultra violent, single player, no pick up and play?

Sure you can argue that Sony has some coop games but when Nintendo Wii is on that same TV why bother with Mod Nation when I can have Mario Kart, why bother with LBP when I have NSMB Wii? Why bother with God of War when I have Super Smash Bros Brawl? What else is left? Graphics? My HTPC crushes the PS3 in outright performance. My gaming PC is night and day vs my HTPC. Gameplay? I have a huge selection of games I already own on my PC which are outright as good as if not better than everything Sony has ever released this generation.

i dont like mario kart or brawl, i do like NMBW wii but i haven't even finished it yet.  you seem to be a pc elitist to me so the only game(s) your probably playing are MW2, BFBC2 as you say you dont like single player.  to me that seems limited.  there are just time where i don't want to play with other people and a great single player experience is more rewarding them so regular old multiplayer. 

actually what makes this so called pc gaming better than console gaming? all 3rd party games are multiplatform and they play the exact same way across all platforms.  to me unique gaming experience are more important than just multiplayer and single player games bring that to the table for me.

oh and please enlightment to more gaming beyond ps3 and 360.  also please tell me what your playing that gives you such a great experience on PC or 360.

Again with the assumptions! I have honestly never played MW2 or BC2 because I am simply NOT interested. Anyway if PC elitism means that I care enough about my experience to take control, to not be spoon fed and actually make decisions about where to prioritise my computers resources in a game, then im guilty as charged. Elitism implies higher standards in some things and of course theres an element of PC gamers who have much higher standards, its the nature of the platform and as natural as the fact you'll find people who love Nintendo games also own a Wii. On the other hand casual is the main focus of the PC and there are more people playing Farmville than there are playing the Wii.

What am I playing on my oh so mighty PC? Civilization IV, Jagged Alliance 2 (with mods), Freespace 2, League of Legends, Age of Empires 3, Red Faction 3 and STALKER. I have played all except for LOL, STALKER and RF3 for over 500 hours each. I don't even begin to think a game is replayable until well past the 100 hour mark. The majority of these barring AOE3 and LOL are single player experiences.

What makes PC gaming better? Well its simple. My PC is a DS, PSP, PS1, PS2, NES, SNES, Megadrive, Saturn, Dreamcast, GB, GBA, etc as much as it is a PC. On emulation grounds alone its the best gaming machine in the universe. Beyond consoles I can play games from over 20 years ago on my PC. I can experience a library unmatched in depth and breadth and thats without resorting to emulators.

Tease.

Around the Network
squall747 said:
rutea7 said:

THIS JUST IN *news jingle* aparently US gamers who own xbox only play halo.... sad day for gaming.

lol, Bungie wishes they sold over 20 million copies. Not that what they did sell is anything short of impressive.

Btw White knights online :X. Kudos for being able to play through all the flaws and cons.

if you mean white knight chronicles it was a great game, granted the story part was short, and i'll replay it again with the improvements once they release the second one, which i cant wait for.

as for LO, it was a pretty game but i could predict the outcome almost everytime. i liked the characters though.

as for anyone else saying sony doesnt have big exclusives, sony has all the best exclusives in sooooo many genres and all so diferent from each other. microsoft can keep halo, gears and mass effect.... i dont see what else they have that's worth anything.

It's so funny how people get worked up about companies doing their job and trying to cast their products in a positive light.  It's E3 week - remember?  Get ready to hear a whole load of carefully wordeed, crafty statements on all fronts.

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

rutea7 said:

microsoft can keep halo, gears and mass effect.... i dont see what else they have that's worth anything.

I'd rank Crackdown, Blue Dragon, Tales of Vesperia, Ace Combat 6, Dead Rising, L4D 1-2 and Portal rather highly.  More controversial, but Deadly Premonition, Chromehounds and The Last Remnant are/were pretty great too.  People tend to overlook a lot of 360's actual exclusives and just boil it down to Halo/ME/Gears...

Men halo 3 sells like anything ... wonder why none of these sony Ips didnt sell well.

Me personally I own Killzone 2, Uncharted 1 2 and God of war 3. And I loved them.

Also liked Halo 3 but the story left me very disapointed :S

Oh well I always have the books :P

Around the Network
jarrod said:
rutea7 said:

microsoft can keep halo, gears and mass effect.... i dont see what else they have that's worth anything.

I'd rank Crackdown, Blue Dragon, Tales of Vesperia, Ace Combat 6, Dead Rising, L4D 1-2 and Portal rather highly.  More controversial, but Deadly Premonition, Chromehounds and The Last Remnant are/were pretty great too.  People tend to overlook a lot of 360's actual exclusives and just boil it down to Halo/ME/Gears...

i tried blue dragon and didnt find it apealing, the games you mentioned the only one i'd like to see in the ps3 is tales of vesperia but it's one of those games i wouldnt buy until it was in the bargain box since by the time they release it (if they ever do outside of japan) there will be plenty of other games that will take priority over that one.

i'm not even gonna say that most console exclusives xbox has can b played on the computer since someone will complain we are talking about console exclusives. but it's true...

the thing is other than halo or shooters most titles released on the xbox tend to be overlooked or have poor sales compared to the same genre on the ps3, namely rpgs and action/adventure games.

I suppose there are 8 million more 360s in the US which would explain why the shooters do better there than in the EU/others. and i actully think that Mass Effect should go multiplat, and even though i havent played it, it seems like one of the best exclusives.

rutea7 said:

i'm not even gonna say that most console exclusives xbox has can b played on the computer since someone will complain we are talking about console exclusives. but it's true...

the thing is other than halo or shooters most titles released on the xbox tend to be overlooked or have poor sales compared to the same genre on the ps3, namely rpgs and action/adventure games.

Over half the games I just listed can't be played on PC.  And RPGs do great on 360 (Oblivion, Fable II, Fallout 3, FFXIII, Mass Effect 1-2, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, etc), what are you talking about?  I can't think of any huge selling action/adventure titles that did amazingly (unless you count sandbox games like GTA4, Saints Row 1-2, Crackdown, Dead Rising, etc) but besides Uncharted 1-2 and MGS4, the genre's not exactly robust sales wise on PS3 either?

jarrod said:
rutea7 said:

Over half the games I just listed can't be played on PC.  And RPGs do great on 360 (Oblivion, Fable II, Fallout 3, FFXIII, Mass Effect 1-2, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, etc), what are you talking about?  I can't think of any huge selling action/adventure titles that did amazingly (unless you count sandbox games like GTA4, Saints Row 1-2, Crackdown, Dead Rising, etc) but besides Uncharted 1-2 and MGS4, the genre's not exactly robust sales wise on PS3 either?

are u kidding me? lost odyssey sold well?? by what standards? and i've heard many people on these forums saying they disapointed in ME2 sales. i guess you can blame piracy for that.

you know those games you said, those exclusives, dont sell as well as halo games because xbox owners in the majority dont care for other genres or for games without online.

rutea7 said:
jarrod said:
rutea7 said:

are u kidding me? lost odyssey sold well?? by what standards? and i've heard many people on these forums saying they disapointed in ME2 sales. i guess you can blame piracy for that.

you know those games you said, those exclusives, dont sell as well as halo games because xbox owners in the majority dont care for other genres or for games without online.

How many other new Japanese RPG IPs from new start ups have sold nearly a million worldwide?  LO wasn't an enormous hit, but it did pretty well for what it was.  Blue Dragon too really, in both cases where the games fell down was Japan (for obvious reasons).  I'd say about any no-name JRPG that can clear half a million is doing pretty well these days (and this also includes PS3 stuff like Demon's Souls or Valkyria Chronicles)...

And if Halo is the standard we're going by, then *everything* on PS3 has been pretty bad sales wise.  You don;t need to move 10m to be a success...