By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What if PSP2 and 3DS are Download Only?

I wouldn't be too pleased if the 3DS was download only, since I still like to have hard copies of my games.

Around the Network

i wouldn't , dowanling game is not feasable for all people so i think they won't make psp2 or 3ds just download only

KylieDog said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:

As for me I guess I wouldn't mind it so much, I just want more discounts and price drops for online games, much like steam does, for PSN, XBLA and Wii/DSi Ware that just doesn't happen and so I buy less from them.

Those all have sales except for Wii /DSi ware.

As to the question I doubt I'll ever buy another handheld again, going to have to come up with some amazing games to convince me.  Even then looking as Nintendos online structure I would probably give that a miss.

I said like steam, not sales... you don't see whole games for $2.50 on PSN or XBLA... or bundles... you also lack things like Square Enix week, you've done nothing to make a point is essentially what I'm saying

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

would be good, even for consoles.

let us buy points in stores, then buy what we want. without a disc reader both heat and space are saved in both hand held and consoles, immagine a 360 withthe DVD drive removed and replaced with a better heat sink and fan, RROD wouldn't have ruined the release

I really doubt the 3DS would be download only, especially considering a certain Iwata interview and the fact that not all DS owners are connected to the internet.

I probably wouldn't buy it myself until they made a model that could use physical discs/cards/cartidges.

Pixel Art can be fun.

Around the Network

I would buy a 3DS no matter what.  However, its pretty much guaranteed the 3DS will have some form of storage.  From Iwata saying that they still feel that the medium of buying games is important to various patents filed by Nintendo for new storage types for the 3DS.

If anything, the 3DS needs to have a storage medium to be able to play past DS games.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

I think download only is a fantastic model.  It's true that not everyone has wifi, but that's why you go to Gamestop and download your game.  Digital distribution is simply the way things are going and people will have to change if they want to keep up.  Look at something like the iPhone, the Ap Store works beautifully and it's digital distribution only.  True, they're smaller games but even the games that just can't be downloaded on 3G (there's a 10MB hard cap on all apps for downloading on 3G) still sell great.

As long as they learn from the vast amounts of mistakes made with the PSPGo it can work really well. 

MaxwellGT2000 said:

The reason for consoles both home and handheld are for ease of use, go to the store, buy a product, go home, play instantly.  Download only really doesn't fit that format, since not everyone has online, not everyone has wifi, not everyone that has net and wifi know how to use it sadly, so download only would be a bad business choice.

As for me I guess I wouldn't mind it so much, I just want more discounts and price drops for online games, much like steam does, for PSN, XBLA and Wii/DSi Ware that just doesn't happen and so I buy less from them.

What are you talking about?  Digital Distribution is all about ease of use.

To play a normal DS game:

• Drive to store
  • Buy product
  • Go home
  • Play game
  • Switch cartridge to play another game
  • Carry around cartridges so you can always have games

To play a 3DS game if it were digital only:

• Download game
  • wait some time
  • play game
  • instantly be able to play your full library still

Either way, there's some wait or hassle time but downloading something that probably wouldn't be over a gig in the first place is nothing compared to actually going somewhere to get something.

Again, true some people don't have Wifi but that's what hotspots are for (which I'm sure Gamestop would have) or just use the iTunes method where you can download on your computer through their service and then transfor to your product through USB.

It's just crazy to call digital distribution harder when compared to traditional cartridges, UMD's, ect.

-edit-

As an added bonus, download only games should be cheaper.  I know that wasn't the case with the PSPGo but that's why we learn from mistakes.  So you have cheaper games, easier access to all games at all times (I don't know how many games I would have bought if I could buy them from my couch at 2 in the morning), a lot of possibilities for demos, and you don't have to lug around a collection of games.

As long as it's done right, digital distribution only is a good thing.  Nintendo isn't good at online, but if it were something the system was built around I think they would do fine and Sony hopefully learned their lesson with the PSPGo so if the next PSP is digital only they should be in good shape too.

-edit #2-

I wouldn't even call space  a factor.  Flash memory is dirt cheap and even huge hard drives are cheap.  I forget how much USB sticks are but I know they're cheap and I can get a 1.5TB portable hard drive for $80.  Both options are small, cheap, and holds a crapload of games.

twesterm said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:

The reason for consoles both home and handheld are for ease of use, go to the store, buy a product, go home, play instantly.  Download only really doesn't fit that format, since not everyone has online, not everyone has wifi, not everyone that has net and wifi know how to use it sadly, so download only would be a bad business choice.

What are you talking about?  Digital Distribution is all about ease of use.

To play a normal DS game:

• Drive to store
  • Buy product
  • Go home
  • Play game
  • Switch cartridge to play another game
  • Carry around cartridges so you can always have games

To play a 3DS game if it were digital only:

• Download game
  • wait some time
  • play game
  • instantly be able to play your full library still

Either way, there's some wait or hassle time but downloading something that probably wouldn't be over a gig in the first place is nothing compared to actually going somewhere to get something.

Again, true some people don't have Wifi but that's what hotspots are for (which I'm sure Gamestop would have) or just use the iTunes method where you can download on your computer through their service and then transfor to your product through USB.

It's just crazy to call digital distribution harder when compared to traditional cartridges, UMD's, ect.

-edit-

As an added bonus, download only games should be cheaper.  I know that wasn't the case with the PSPGo but that's why we learn from mistakes.  So you have cheaper games, easier access to all games at all times (I don't know how many games I would have bought if I could buy them from my couch at 2 in the morning), a lot of possibilities for demos, and you don't have to lug around a collection of games.

As long as it's done right, digital distribution only is a good thing.  Nintendo isn't good at online, but if it were something the system was built around I think they would do fine and Sony hopefully learned their lesson with the PSPGo so if the next PSP is digital only they should be in good shape too.

-edit #2-

I wouldn't even call space  a factor.  Flash memory is dirt cheap and even huge hard drives are cheap.  I forget how much USB sticks are but I know they're cheap and I can get a 1.5TB portable hard drive for $80.  Both options are small, cheap, and holds a crapload of games.

I'm not saying ease of use for me or you, working at retail and the average customer really doesn't even know what they're really looking for or even informed about games, much less going online to check out what new games are out, some of which don't even know how to hook their systems up online.

A model with online only would be a terrible model unless it has something like the iPhone app store and the ability to download from anywhere, that's true ease of use.  Basically anything that keeps the consumer from using any mental power at all is the best way to go.  Driving to the store isn't as big of a deal to these people since they know how to drive but anything with "technology" is automatically too hard to set up and they *must* get the "tech" people they know to set anything up, most won't even bother.

And honestly downloading is still a pain in the ass, have you tried to download just small files on the PSP?  Full games are even worse, it's like if you took the typical download speed for PS3 and slowed it down times 5 or 6, I typically have to plug in my PSP and leave it sitting to download a game, in the same amount of time I could and probably would rather get in my car, spend not even a gallon of gas to get to the local store and get the same game for sometimes half the price cause PSP games get marked down often, while PSP games on PSN rarely have deals going.

Simply put right now the download only model is crap until they can make it effiecient and clean, Steam does this well, since PCs are typically already hooked up online, your info is saved so no need to keep entering it, and then you gotta make sure there aren't limits like with the app store cause if you're gonna have PSP level graphics... you need at least a gig to work with for the game itself...

It'll be the model home consoles can move to but with handhelds they better have cell phone abilities built in cause it's not gonna work :P

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

I don't like the idea of download-only. I'm the kind of gamer who wants to have a case on my shelf~