By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Pacher Explains Why He Predicts WiiHD Believes Will Will Lose MarketShare

So Patcher thinks it would be wise to Nintendo to abandon the Wii just as it is making more money than ever due to software sales from first party and licensees. I am sure I am not thrilled to ever hiring Wedbush to help me with my own business. Considering Nintendo cannot release two consoles in the same year to avoid sales cannibalization, I think they did much better releasing the DS successor this year as it anticipates any new product, take some of the steam behind the iPod touch and Sony's 3D plan with the PS3.

I don't think Nintendo will ever release a new Wii with HD capability -- although a version with hdmi support and 1080p upscaling is possible. More likely, they will release a new console in 2011 or 2012, depending of the Wii's sales curve. 

Around the Network

The market is evolving all the time. I don't see why they wouldn't move onto a new console if it suited their purposes. However as noone is privy to the private thoughts of Iwate etc its hard to say what exactly they want to do over the next few years. Just because the Wii is selling great doesn't mean they won't replace it with something newer. Consider the 3DS, the DS is still selling quite fantastic but they wanted to take advantage of new opportunities.

Tease.

kylohk said:

^But certainly 720p should (at least) be the default choice by the next gen?

I mean, they did not move forward from 8 bit graphics for no reason.

Nintendo's next system will be HD becuase it will be cheaper to make. However, making a Wii that is just HD will do nothing for it. The next Nintendo system will have a new unique feature, but will also support HD display.

i know i shouldn't take him seriously, but he still bothers me.

in the past few years, patcher has proven that he has absolutely no understanding of why the wii is so popular. at release, it did something its competitors didn't. it attracted a new demographic. it kept games simple and easily enjoyable. no HD or 26,000 player online mode was required. the wii has managed to become one of the best-selling game consoles in history by providing simple entertainment that anyone could get into. patcher will never understand this. he is simply not qualified to be making the statements he makes.

jarrod said:
Garnett said:

Chances are Nintendo wont improve the online, because most of their customers dont care about online.

Why would the Wii HD, an Updated version of the Current gen Wii be cheaper? Its going to be more expensive.

As for the Media format,Nintendo goes with their own formats.

They'll improve online incrementally.  At the very least you can probably expect "system wide" friend codes, a decent chat solution and a Club Nintendo centered account/content migration path.  Probably a more expansive DD effort too, and more formats for the Virtual Console (Gamecube, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, etc).

And Nintendo goes with Matsushita's media formats.  And at this point, Blu-ray is more theirs than Sony's even...

They need to do away with the friend codes, the Wii needs to have a mic, it needs some kind of hard drive, at least 5 gigs and as for Blu ray, sure the disc may be Bluray but it wont play Blu Ray movies which negates the move aspect of Blu Ray.

By the time Nintendo does all these things that i mentioned, or even the things youv mentioned, PS3 would of already done it.

Around the Network
Metallicube said:

Jesus Christ Patcher.. The average consumer DOES NOT CARE about HD! Do you really think a 14 year old girl or old man buying the Wii is going to be like, you know.. these motion control games are awesome, but I'd REALLY love to play them in HD!

This is pretty much what I was going to say. Most of the people who purchased a Wii have no interest in HD graphics, because if they did they would have just bought an HD console from the start. Michael Pachter just doesn't seem to understand that people enjoy the Wii for Nintendo's games, not HD graphics and all the other non gaming extras. 

He's basically saying that he's not wrong for being wrong.

Garnett said:
jarrod said:
Garnett said:

Chances are Nintendo wont improve the online, because most of their customers dont care about online.

Why would the Wii HD, an Updated version of the Current gen Wii be cheaper? Its going to be more expensive.

As for the Media format,Nintendo goes with their own formats.

They'll improve online incrementally.  At the very least you can probably expect "system wide" friend codes, a decent chat solution and a Club Nintendo centered account/content migration path.  Probably a more expansive DD effort too, and more formats for the Virtual Console (Gamecube, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, etc).

And Nintendo goes with Matsushita's media formats.  And at this point, Blu-ray is more theirs than Sony's even...

They need to do away with the friend codes, the Wii needs to have a mic, it needs some kind of hard drive, at least 5 gigs and as for Blu ray, sure the disc may be Bluray but it wont play Blu Ray movies which negates the move aspect of Blu Ray.

By the time Nintendo does all these things that i mentioned, or even the things youv mentioned, PS3 would of already done it.

I don't think they'll do away with FC entirely, though I do think they'll streamline the system next gen.  3DS will probably give us a good idea of where Wii2 is headed in terms of network infrastructure, transfer and security (though it'll have it's own unique additions, likely a 3G/whisper network).  

Wii2 won't have a HDD though and it probably won't play DVD/BRD movies.  And really it doesn't need either, they'll just add more flash (likely 2GB to 8GB) and use a custom BRD based format for games only.  Technology isn't what sells game systems, games do.  

DixieKong said:
Metallicube said:

Jesus Christ Patcher.. The average consumer DOES NOT CARE about HD! Do you really think a 14 year old girl or old man buying the Wii is going to be like, you know.. these motion control games are awesome, but I'd REALLY love to play them in HD!

This is pretty much what I was going to say. Most of the people who purchased a Wii have no interest in HD graphics, because if they did they would have just bought an HD console from the start. Michael Pachter just doesn't seem to understand that people enjoy the Wii for Nintendo's games, not HD graphics and all the other non gaming extras. 

Totally wrong. Pachter has a Wii for exact those reasons.

Metallicube said:

that's why the average consumer is upgrading to HD and why some are even upgrading to 3D HD TVs..

mM