By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Morgan Webb rants about Super Mario Galaxy 2, hilariously bad reasons

MaxwellGT2000 said:

But if you're trying to say there aren't wow moments and oh man that looks really good in SMG or 2 that's downright absurd, I know some of the most staunch graphic whores admit that SMG and SMG2 look good, and compared to SM64 there is no contest, but to be honest you seem to be picking and choosing your pictures to best suit your point, cause I could get HL1 running on max but find HL2 running on lowest from 2004 or maybe even the consoles versions to counter your point.

In the end SMG2 is similar but a huge overhaul in graphics and gameplay compared to SM64 over a decade ago.

It seems to me that you're utilizing a lot of 'rationalization'.  The truth is, there isn't much to rationalize. I didn't cherry pick any pictures, I quickly scanned for pictures that would show similar things if possible and I didn't scan very hard.  Games have drastically changed. (Especially ones that have stuck around from the N64/PS1 gen).   Does Super Mario 64 stand up graphically to Super Mario Galaxy on a technical sense? Hell no.   Does it look pretty damn similar though?  Sure it does. 

And what gameplay elements have had a 'huge overhaul' since Mario 64?  I mean the jumping mechanics are pretty much the same as far as I could tell.  Yeah they added the star pointer...but does that really classify as a 'huge overhaul'?

Around the Network
hsrob said:
Wagram said:

So she has an opinion about Mario, so you bash her for it? What she said made sense. It is HER opinion. Don't jump down her throat because she has a critical opinion of a game you like.

This just isn't the point here, as was stated just a few posts ago.  The expression is: "everyone is entitled to their opinion".  That is, they are entitled to voice their opinion, but no where does it say that people are entitled to have their opinion respected. 

If i said, "I think all Australian people are stupid, but it's just my opinion man", could I reasonably expect people not to challenge my opinion?  If you voice an opinion that other people think is silly, misinformed or ignorant, you can expect in any forum in the world, real or electronic that people are going to jump down your throat.

That is why it is very important that before you voice an opinion you have the ability to justify it, a rather important factor that many 'opinionists' seem to skip out.  People have agreed again and again in this thread that she has the right to state her position but obviously they don't believe that Morgan whatever-her-name-is gave sufficient or appropriate justification of her opinion.

You just saved me the trouble of making a similar post. Great post. 

Rpruett said:

It seems to me that you're utilizing a lot of 'rationalization'.  The truth is, there isn't much to rationalize. I didn't cherry pick any pictures, I quickly scanned for pictures that would show similar things if possible and I didn't scan very hard.  Games have drastically changed. (Especially ones that have stuck around from the N64/PS1 gen).   Does Super Mario 64 stand up graphically to Super Mario Galaxy on a technical sense? Hell no.   Does it look pretty damn similar though?  Sure it does. 

And what gameplay elements have had a 'huge overhaul' since Mario 64?  I mean the jumping mechanics are pretty much the same as far as I could tell.  Yeah they added the star pointer...but does that really classify as a 'huge overhaul'?

Gran Turismo is still driving.

Final Fantasy is still attacking.

Half-Life is still shooting.

Mario is still jumping.

Gameplay concepts have been radically changed in each game.

Also, you chose gameplay pictures from previous games and then contrasted them to pre-rendered photos. That is not a fair comparison.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

The fact is, most people around the table did NOT agree with her views.  The guy next to him even used sarcasm against her and she just replied "I can't... I can't believe this".  Like she was out of word all of a sudden.

Most of the time, the others were just trying to make her talk her opinion more, to know what she meant all along.  While all she could do was troll.

Just her mention about the story, which Nintendo reduced to the bare minimum, is a good indication of what she was trying to do all along.  They mentioned how they god rid of it to the point where it's just a basic setup (that never takes itself seriously) to introduce the game and some of its features.  To what she replied "get rid of it all" or something along those lines.  Shouting words like not mature, cartoony like she was mature herself.  For a 31 years old woman, she sure doesn't seem to know how to express and support her claims, just like you'd expect from a normal early teenager.

I think she should definitely read that quote from C.S. Lewis that was posted here earlier today...

dtewi said:

I almost spit out my coffee when Khuutra posted a meme.

That use was so perfect it's hysterical on its own.

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
dtewi said:

Yes, but I thought you were morally opposed to memes of any form.

Sugu yoko de waratteita

I will never leave you

dtewi said:
Khuutra said:
dtewi said:

Nope. Only when they don't perfectly communicate what I want them to.

Khuutra said:
dtewi said:
Khuutra said:
dtewi said:

Nope. Only when they don't perfectly communicate what I want them to.

That's, what, one in a million?

Sugu yoko de waratteita

I will never leave you

dtewi said:
Rpruett said:

Gran Turismo is still driving.

Final Fantasy is still attacking.

Half-Life is still shooting.

Mario is still jumping.

Gameplay concepts have been radically changed in each game.

Also, you chose gameplay pictures from previous games and then contrasted them to pre-rendered photos. That is not a fair comparison.

Damn you stole what I was going to say.

But since Mario 64 the level design has changed a lot, the controls changed a lot, I simply couldn't play SMS when I bought it after beating SMG cause the camera got on my nerves.  A lot of the creative platforming ideas especially in SMG2 outclass anything done in SM64, I really don't know what else you want from a pure platforming game, RPG elements to upgrade Marios jump?  

Genres don't really change from generation to generation, the ideas going into them do, and having plaetoids where you basically platform in any direction that can screw with your sense of direction and perception is one hell of a leap from SM64 and SMS

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

so people are mad about her opinion? isn't that what we do everyday on this site?