By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Will Obama be re-elected in 2012?

Will Obama be re-elected in 2012?

Yes 111 37.00%

No 98 32.67%

Too early to call 79 26.33%

I don't know 12 4.00%

Total:300
ManusJustus said:
Kasz216 said:
ManusJustus said:

Americans vote on their wallets.  If the economy turns around, Obama wins by a landslide.  If the economy stays in the gutter, Obama is gone.

I'll vote for Obama regardless of the economy, however, as personal freedoms are still the most important issue for me.

... which is why your voting for the guy who hasn't repealed any of the Bush travesties, and is instead putting in further travesties of their own on top of them?

My preconception is that Democrats will allow me to have more freedoms than Republicans, a claim that the Republicans seem to have no quarrel with.

I would say it's just that... a preconception.  Democrats and Republicans both have their authortirian issues, and honestly they're quite even.

Hell, with Obama not repealing anything the Republicans are doing even rank and file republicans seem ahead of the Democrats at this point.

If you care about personal freedoms though... really only people like Ron Paul care about that.

Around the Network
johnsobas said:
Lostplanet22 said:

I have no idea....but if it is true that 70% were against the healthcare bill I wonder how he still can be re elected? 

Well still two years ago and a lot can happen but I still stand with my opinion that Obama for me is just someone who can talk very well and know what to say...

Before he won it was all about change...And a few months after he won 'Well we probably will not see the results the in this four years'

Recent polls show the majority is actually in favor of the bill.  Many people didn't like the bill because it didn't go far enough, but they thought it was an improvement, but the majority would rather have the bill pass than not.  I don't know how anyone can understand how health insurance worked and actually say it was a good system.  Maybe if the republicans would actually offer a solution rather than just insulting Obama's plan.  Maybe if the tea party had any plan at all, that might help them.

What polls, exactly? This week's Rasmussen poll shows that 58% want it repealed. I can't find anything else similarly recent.

oldschoolfool said:Saying there's a lot of racism bubbling under the surface really bother's me. Just because somone does'nt agree with Obama's policies does'nt make them a racisit. That's what the far left always said's. 

Don't misunderstand me to say that all his critics are doing so for racial reasons.  But we'd be foolish to ignore the very real racist undercurrent in the current political climate, from official party e-mails containing racial slurs to the profiling and fears of "others" in the immigration debate to the violence and many other examples.  

I'm not intending to paint the entire half of the country with a broad brush.  It was just one of my reasons listed, not the only one.

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

badgenome said:
johnsobas said:
Lostplanet22 said:

I have no idea....but if it is true that 70% were against the healthcare bill I wonder how he still can be re elected? 

Well still two years ago and a lot can happen but I still stand with my opinion that Obama for me is just someone who can talk very well and know what to say...

Before he won it was all about change...And a few months after he won 'Well we probably will not see the results the in this four years'

Recent polls show the majority is actually in favor of the bill.  Many people didn't like the bill because it didn't go far enough, but they thought it was an improvement, but the majority would rather have the bill pass than not.  I don't know how anyone can understand how health insurance worked and actually say it was a good system.  Maybe if the republicans would actually offer a solution rather than just insulting Obama's plan.  Maybe if the tea party had any plan at all, that might help them.

What polls, exactly? This week's Rasmussen poll shows that 58% want it repealed. I can't find anything else similarly recent.

That's the risk of passing a bill that costs billions and doesn't really have most of it's effects come in until after a couple elections.

These programs are impossible to change or get repealed once rooted, but this one will take a long while to root.

fastyxx said:
oldschoolfool said:Saying there's a lot of racism bubbling under the surface really bother's me. Just because somone does'nt agree with Obama's policies does'nt make them a racisit. That's what the far left always said's. 

Don't misunderstand me to say that all his critics are doing so for racial reasons.  But we'd be foolish to ignore the very real racist undercurrent in the current political climate, from official party e-mails containing racial slurs to the profiling and fears of "others" in the immigration debate to the violence and many other examples.  

I'm not intending to paint the entire half of the country with a broad brush.  It was just one of my reasons listed, not the only one.

Can you give exact examples of the racism?  Just curious.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
badgenome said:
johnsobas said:
Lostplanet22 said:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/03/25/polls-indicate-support-for-health-care-reform-has-increased-since-sunday-vote/?fbid=Kv89UZutLR4

49% in favor 40% against

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

johnsobas said:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/03/25/polls-indicate-support-for-health-care-reform-has-increased-since-sunday-vote/?fbid=Kv89UZutLR4

49% in favor 40% against

Both polls are pretty old, being taken one and two days after the vote. It'd be interesting if they had more recent data, but neither Gallup nor Quinnipiac have released any polls on the subject since.

badgenome said:
johnsobas said:

49% in favor 40% against

Both polls are pretty old, being taken one and two days after the vote. It'd be interesting if they had more recent data, but neither Gallup nor Quinnipiac have released any polls on the subject since.

the difference is in the wording.  Many people thought the bill didn't go far enough and that is why they were against it.  Yet people thought it was at least a step in the right direction.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

johnsobas said:
badgenome said:
johnsobas said:

49% in favor 40% against

the difference is in the wording.  Many people thought the bill didn't go far enough and that is why they were against it.  Yet people thought it was at least a step in the right direction.

That would make no sense, since 58% want it repealed according to Rasmussen. They don't just disapprove of it for whatever reason, they want it gone.

A more reasonable explanation would be methodology. If Rasmussen is polling only likely voters, for example.

badgenome said:
johnsobas said:
badgenome said:
johnsobas said:

49% in favor 40% against

That would make no sense, since 58% want it repealed according to Rasmussen. They don't just disapprove of it for whatever reason, they want it gone.

A more reasonable explanation would be methodology. If Rasmussen is polling only likely voters, for example.

It should also be noted he was cherry picking polls in that very article...

Quinnpiac actually stated more disaporval then approval.

CBS indicated 42 percent approving of the bill; Quinnipiac indicated 40 percent approval. Forty-six percent of those questioned in the CBS poll disapproved of the bill, with 49 percent of those questioned by Quinnipiac disapproving of the legislation.

For some reason Johnsobas saw 2 polls saying more people disaproved... and 1 saying more people approved... and took the single 1 as poof.

Most likely Gallup was just off.  Since well... its on it's own.