By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What is your take on creationism/creationists?

Rath said:

@Highwaystar. Out of genuine interest (and almost entirely off topic) what elements apart from silicon and carbon due you think life could form from? Or was that just based on the idea that the human species really doesn't have anywhere near enough knowledge to rule out other forms of life?

Well I used Carbon and Silicon as an example. I guess that outside of these two we know of no other element that could act as a base for certain (and silicon requires us to make several assumptions at that). Other proposed bases for life are purely hypothetical with our current knowledge, such as nitrogen and phosphorus.

The point that I was trying to make is that some people assume life has to have the exact same of combination as Earth to form, which I see as just untrue. So yeah, based on the idea that we just don't have enough knowledge of the Universe to rule out other forms of life.

Around the Network
BMaker11 said:

I think Creationism is a crock. And that's because all scientific evidence points to it. How do explain similarities in dogs and wolves, although they are different animals. Evolution. I could bring in tons of other examples, but I don't want to get into a religious debate, because unlike video games, I don't take this argument based on emotion but on EVIDENCE AT ALL TIMES.

Evolution = countless theories and evidences that are falsifiable and testable and lead to the theory being highly accurate

Creationism = .....God did it

And the only reason they even say "God did it" is based on a book, written thousands of years ago BY MAN, that also says eating pork, working on Sunday, and women not completely obeying their husbands is wrong and is a sin. You can't pick and choose with these kinds of things. It's either all or none. Same with science (this talking about creationists also). You can't believe in physics, chemistry, biology, etc. but as soon as it conflicts with your unsubstantiated belief, you say science is wrong.

And this is coming from a Christian man. But I will say that I am not the Christian that's Bible thumping (obviously) and says that everything else is wrong. I believe that as long as you live a moral life, treat others as you would treat yourself, and follow the rational rules of life (not killing, stealing, etc), you will have eternal peace. But then again, all religions tell you that if you look at the overarching principles of them

So hang on. You called yourself a Christian, and then said you don't believe in everything the bible says, after saying 'it's all or none'?

Im not attacking your beliefs or anything, but you are most certainly NOT a christian. Christianity is the belief that Jesus Christ is the song of God, and through believing in him you will have eternal life. It is the only religion that does not rely on deeds to get into heaven (ie doing the 'right thing', etc)

Check out my pyro tf2 vid :)

Bet With routsounmanman: By the end of Q1 2008 Capcom WONT have announced a RE5 Wii Edition OR a new RE (classic gameplay) for the Wii (WON)

When I was a child, I believe there was a God because I was young and impressionable.  When I was an adolescent, I was an athiest because I was rebellious, depressed, and pessemistic in humanity as a whole.  Now in young adulthood, I'm non-religious as absolution in things we have blind faith in seems foolish.  I respect those who have faith though, whatever it is.

In other words, to each his own.

God, I hate religious threads.

Pixel Art can be fun.

Chairman-Mao said:

I apologize for having something to believe in. Obviously that bothers you so I'll stop and accept everything science says is true.

Like come on man without religion a lot of people would be worse off. There have been people who go from criminals to good people when they find religion, it gives people something to believe in and keeps them on the right path. It may seem silly to you but it keeps a lot of people from doing bad things.

How about thouse people believe in themselves. Religion is nothing but made up stories someone wrote 100's of years ago. When you die,you just die,prove me wrong. You have all these different religions,with all these different gods,that right there should tell you that religion is man made.

mirgro said:
TX109 said:

why do you care? why do atheists care? why cant you poeple just accept religion as a part of society. i dont go to church but i have no problem with religious people or atheists. i just have a problem when people feel the need to call out one or the other for being "wrong", and that their beliefs are "total bullshit". you dont have to agree with them, just accept what you beleive in and at least respect the beliefs of others.

Because then they get the bright idea that they should ram their archaic, uninformed, and unintelligent ideas down people's throats. For example, gay rights. If they don't liek it they should just stfu and deal with it, not pass laws about it. From what I have seen, and it's not much so take it with a grain of salt, atheists just hate religious people exactly because religious people try to pull off their own retarded bullshit as law, solely because they read it in a fairy tale.

I agree with,but why so harsh. Not everybody believes what you believe.

Around the Network
DannyW said:

Evolution is all a lie. Humans started walking upright about 6000 years ago, when God made 'em from dirt. There is no compatibility whatsoever between random, purposeless, Godless evolution and Christianity or Judaism. Any divine oversight or guidance means that natural evolution never occurred. Science is full of frauds, hoaxes, misinterpreted evidence, circular logic, and fanciful flights of imagination, and has never proved that any species evolved from any other species. Fossil records are part of those hoaxes. Levathon (Sp?) is a very powerful demon that can take control of the godless and use their bodies to spread the word of lucifer. The Bible has never ever been proven wrong on anything.

You have being reading the bible a little too much....

SecondWar said:
TX109 said:
SecondWar said:

What, you mean the UK? Seeing how a lot of the USA (or a larger proportion of the Americans I see on TV) seems to support installing pro-discrimination laws such as the persecution of gays, Id much rather stay in my hole

what you see on TV really isnt "alot of the USA". in fact it is alot less than you might think. try not to generalize what you see on TV as the entire country.

I knew someone would pull me up on that. Yes, it probably isnt a fair generalisation but from everything I know about it it does seem to be a very Conservative Christian country, especially compared to the UK, which, judging by politically based stories Ive seen of the two, is much more accepting of different beliefs and lifestyles.

You have your really conservative states and your really liberal states. of course America is a very conservative christian country for the most part. It was founded on this principle.

Creationism should not be taught alongside Evolution, i can see it having some appeal in religious classes but it has no scienitfic values.

Creation Science, Intelligent Design, Young/Old Earth Movements are all rooted opposition to the widely accepted scientific principles, and they just evolved from fundamentalist opposition to the evolution. They just change once in a while to adopt to changing world.

This made me laugh. I put this on since many Creationists are Christians.

Switch: SW-5066-1525-5130

XBL: GratuitousFREEK