By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What is your take on creationism/creationists?

Personally I think they are misinformed at the very least!

Around the Network

IMO. Creationism is unsubstantiated nonsense...

*waits for backlash*

They all are:

• Misinformed
  • Ignorant of scientific evidence
  • Ignorant of the scientific process

The higher ups in the Creationist camp are also:

• Manipulative
  • Misquote things and take comments completely out of context
  • Somehow fearful that the theory of evolution is a threat to their religion
  • like to pretend a theory is something you can dream up in your sleep with no evidence

We all do have faith, faith in the existence of the world, ourselves, and a few other basic things (unless someone can go through Descartes' meditation sorta thing and prove something from nothing). From this we can live and learn. If we believe in nature, the universe, and that it is constant, then we have the basis of naturalistic epistemology.

Creationism is a world view that has one extra and unnecessary faith, the belief that the world exists, and that a god made it. Occam's razor tells us to remove unnecessary things.

I apologize for having something to believe in. Obviously that bothers you so I'll stop and accept everything science says is true.

Like come on man without religion a lot of people would be worse off. There have been people who go from criminals to good people when they find religion, it gives people something to believe in and keeps them on the right path. It may seem silly to you but it keeps a lot of people from doing bad things.

Around the Network
Chairman-Mao said:

I apologize for having something to believe in. Obviously that bothers you so I'll stop and accept everything science says is true.

Like come on man without religion a lot of people would be worse off. There have been people who go from criminals to good people when they find religion, it gives people something to believe in and keeps them on the right path. It may seem silly to you but it keeps a lot of people from doing bad things.

Who are you talking to out of curiosity?

I think it's prety nifty!

Sig thanks to Saber! :D 

Epic Fail

what more need be said about it and them?

Chairman-Mao said:

The point is that nobody, scientists in primis, have to accept everything science says now as ultimately true. That's because the scientific method is a self-correcting one. You can take past results as temporary truths (hypothesis) to work on new results, but you can also falsify past results unveiling new, deeper truths.

That's not the case of religion: you accept what you're told in a canon that was developed over a few millennia of political and theological struggles.

And while some people might live more happily or behave better under the ideological yoke of a transcendent force overlooking their morality, that has little to do with the idea that the same god created the world. Buddhists and induists have karma as an impersonal force, and buddhists afaik don't believe in a theist creationism. Gnostic christian sects believed that the creation of the world was actually the work of Satan, and still behaved according to a rigid ethical code.

Do you see any particular good coming from people believing that the same invisible force that judges their ethic was also responsible for creating the world?

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

I think that i can make a far better argument that Dragons actually exist than they ever will be able to make an argument about their theory.

I also don't see how they believe in creationism but not unicrons, leprechauns, ogres, trolls, etc. considering the fact that the evidence they have for those is just as extensive (sometimes even more so) and thorough as the evidence they have for whatever they believe in as well.