By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What is your take on creationism/creationists?

richardhutnik said:

Ok, I am going to bring in Paley's watch here for a moment.  Paley's watch argument comes up in various forms (ID is based around it), because people have witnessed personally that complex systems that work together too well are engineered.  People see what men do over and over, and then when they see something else that no one who made it is a sign of, the initial belief is that some intelligence engineered what they saw.  The default position is that the item in question is the byproduct of intelligence, and that is the acceptable default position.

Ok, now bring on people who are evolutionists, and particularly non-theists.  Such individuals end up trying to argue with people the default normal view one should take when one runs into complex systems that look like they were engineered, is that they weren't designed, but came about by a mix of unguided deterministic and random changes.  And the changes that remained were the ones that survived a hostile environment and ability to change. 

If you want to know why, among normal people, evolution as THE all encompassing way of life, that doesn't require a intelligent creator isn't accepted as the norm, it is because of this.  The norm for people is that complex systems are engineered, and not the byproduct of unguided forces that are a mix of random and determinism.  We actually have almost no actual lab experiments that fully functioning complex systems that work together aren't engineered.  Even in experiments where there is chaos involved, and computer models, we tend to see that people code the program to run the environment and set parameters.

So the fact that random mutations selected in a non-random manner can result in building complexity bottom up is something that can amaze and can go against superficial intuition. I can understand that, but a lot of things go against superficial intuition and don't meet the same kind of resistance because they don't touch the sphere of religious beliefs.

Quantum mechanics is based on the hypothesis that reality works with complex numbers. That's horribly unintuitive as it gives some reality to imaginary numbers: every high-school student was probably shocked when a number that squared gave minus one was introduced.

Still, people use lasers every day, accept to be scanned with CAT devices, use appliances based on semiconductor-based diods and transistors. Everything born from quantum mechanics.

That's because they don't have to face the complexities of the underlying theory and its harsh unintuitiveness. They can just use the black box and accept the theoretical work made by physicists and engineer. They won't even try to confute the unintuitive parts of the theory if they are exposed to it, they'll just admit that it works but it's beyond their grasp.

The trouble of evolution by natural selection, on the other hand, is that it seems such a simple idea that everybody think they can understand it fully and quantitatively and mature an informed opinon on it without deeper studies.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

Around the Network

ImJustBayuum said:

I refuse to believe that existence of life is due to mere coincidence. Life is just too perfect

Whilst I can certainly understand that view (since I held it when I was Christian). I've seen seen through my personal research into such things that life isn't perfect at all. The human body is just a pile a poorly optimised organs and such thats its a surprise that some things work at all. The eye is a perfect example, our light receptors (can't think of the proper name at the moment) face away from the light they actually have to detect.

Not to mention the 95% odd junk DNA we have and several organs that do nothing at all but kill people when they malfunction.

So I utterly don't agree with your second sentence because life is certainly not perfect.

I believe in god and I don't force others to believe. In my op faith is sorta like a condom, rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Xbbjf9s said:

I believe in god and I don't force others to believe. In my op faith is sorta like a condom, rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Are you in a round about way making the argument that its better to live life as if God exists, because if it exists then you gain everything whereas if it doesn't then you lose nothing?

Because if thats the case, then an omnipotent being would surely see through such a farce. Let alone the point that what if it isn't "your God" that actually exists? What if its Thor or something and not the theistic faith you subscribe to? I think in many ways believing in any faith is a risk, even if we assume that the divine exists (which is a big "if"), we don't know for sure which one is the real faith or if infact God or whatever the divine may be has even truly been revealed to humans at all. My point being is that subcribing to any one thing as opposed to others will always be a risk. And it doesn't matter in many religions if you beleive in the divine or not, because if the divine you believe in is the wrong one you'll be having some hellfire (or the equivalent) along with the Atheists, Agnostics, Diests and every other Theist that got it wrong aswell.

Or did I just take your post in a completely different direction then intended?

WereKitten said:
richardhutnik said:

Ok, I am going to bring in Paley's watch here for a moment.  Paley's watch argument comes up in various forms (ID is based around it), because people have witnessed personally that complex systems that work together too well are engineered.  People see what men do over and over, and then when they see something else that no one who made it is a sign of, the initial belief is that some intelligence engineered what they saw.  The default position is that the item in question is the byproduct of intelligence, and that is the acceptable default position.

Ok, now bring on people who are evolutionists, and particularly non-theists.  Such individuals end up trying to argue with people the default normal view one should take when one runs into complex systems that look like they were engineered, is that they weren't designed, but came about by a mix of unguided deterministic and random changes.  And the changes that remained were the ones that survived a hostile environment and ability to change. 

If you want to know why, among normal people, evolution as THE all encompassing way of life, that doesn't require a intelligent creator isn't accepted as the norm, it is because of this.  The norm for people is that complex systems are engineered, and not the byproduct of unguided forces that are a mix of random and determinism.  We actually have almost no actual lab experiments that fully functioning complex systems that work together aren't engineered.  Even in experiments where there is chaos involved, and computer models, we tend to see that people code the program to run the environment and set parameters.

So the fact that random mutations selected in a non-random manner can result in building complexity bottom up is something that can amaze and can go against superficial intuition. I can understand that, but a lot of things go against superficial intuition and don't meet the same kind of resistance because they don't touch the sphere of religious beliefs.

Quantum mechanics is based on the hypothesis that reality works with complex numbers. That's horribly unintuitive as it gives some reality to imaginary numbers: every high-school student was probably shocked when a number that squared gave minus one was introduced.

Still, people use lasers every day, accept to be scanned with CAT devices, use appliances based on semiconductor-based diods and transistors. Everything born from quantum mechanics.

That's because they don't have to face the complexities of the underlying theory and its harsh unintuitiveness. They can just use the black box and accept the theoretical work made by physicists and engineer. They won't even try to confute the unintuitive parts of the theory if they are exposed to it, they'll just admit that it works but it's beyond their grasp.

The trouble of evolution by natural selection, on the other hand, is that it seems such a simple idea that everybody think they can understand it fully and quantitatively and mature an informed opinon on it without deeper studies.

One other challenge (I think there are others also) that gets in the way of accepting evolution I believe is essentialism.

We seem, so far as I understand it, to lean towards wanting firm basis for understanding the world.  A rabbit is a rabbit, a cow is a cow, a cougar is a cougar, blackberries are blackberries and so on.

This makes sense from a survival point of view given our relatively short lifespan.  So I can learn what a rabbit looks like and how to catch and eat one.  I can learn what poisonous plants look like and avoid them.  I can learn what cougars look like and avoid them.

This I believe makes evolution also feel 'wrong' to a lot of people.  On cosmic timescales, with evolution, there is no actual fixed identify of rabbit - there is no pure form of rabbit.  It's a creature actually in a state of flux, just one beyond our perception due to timescales.  But that clashes with our innate desire to classify - to say 'that is a rabbit and nothing else.'

We are in the end complex beings psychologically, and that affects all of us to some extent - and can make certain ideas and concepts were hard to grasp or believe (even if true) vs. other ideas and concepts which are easy to grasp (even if false).

Heck, I believe even Einstein was supposed (probably apocryphal but maybe not, I can't remember) to have commented that Quantum Physics was 'Spooky'.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network
WereKitten said:

One of my pet interests is procedurally generated worlds relating to games.  I have an interest in such things.  I am interested to see the boundaries by which unguided systems can evolve and produce more and more.  Like, can such a system produce a world that would be confused with something created by someone.  As of now, it appears that unguided procedurally generated worlds seem to need a lot of help to get there.  And the work to get one going that produces decent enough content, isn't being done.  I am sure if the video game industry could find one that was sufficient, it would rely on it and not hire level developers.  Unguided development just doesn't feel right to people.  You can even look at unguided game worlds, and see what the Alan Wake developers ran into, where they had to abandon the sandbox, because it wasn't generating results that felt right.

And this is connected to the discussion on evolution.  Natural selection is insufficient to explain how complex functioning systems got there.  Natural selection doesn't add any new features, it merely cuts them out.  What is needed is to understand the mechanics of how features got there.  And there is some work done, but a LOT left to do.  Until this is done, there will still be the gap, and what seems normal to say someone engineered it.

What is being found, particularly in the area of "junk" DNA, is very interesting.  Consider this segment from an episode of Nova, on switch DNA: http://video.pbs.org/video/1503825140/

There is also indication a species may collectively guide its own evolution, in that it can have systems in place that have the mutations be guided so it can adopt to the environment.  For all we know, viruses that circulate among species may actually be part of the genetic make up of that species, and be used to provide the species feedback on what is happening in the environment.  It could act a bit like "white blood cells" and end up culling out genetic code which isn't suitable for the environment the species is currently in. 

There have been experiments run where a species of bacteria rapidly was able to rapidly adopt to a new environment at a rate that wasn't in keeping with random mutation.  It was found that the species of bacteria (I believe it is e coli and I believe someone named Carnes ran the experiment) would be able to switch from one state to another.  Pretty amazing.  I will let others look into it.  I think I am spellined "Carnes" wrong so I can't seem to find it.  I believe Darwin in the Genome goes into it:

http://www.amazon.com/Darwin-Genome-Molecular-Strategies-Biological/dp/0071378227

I also would close here by saying that I believe that there is a lack of understanding by the Evolutionary side to what creationists now say.  Creationists today aren't part of the old Scopes Monkey Trial crowd that says every single species was directly shaped by God.  The argument now is that classes of species are bound within a certain range, and can't jump without help from intelligence on the outside.  That is the debate here, and that is an area that evolutionary scientists are still working on.  There are gaps in understanding the mechanics.  Like, when how the eyeball came about, there is things that aren't even suitable as hypothesis that are proposed, for which there aren't any experiments to be able have a species create an eyeball out of nowhere, or the order by which it would bring in all the components.  In this, there is merely postulations on stuff that sounds reasonable, where each step would work like this:

1. A species develops a "sensor" that can detect light.

2. That sensor then receeds into a socket of a sort.

3. The sensor then begins to get covered with a film that protects it.

4. The flim that covers it begins to refine itself and act as a lens

5. The sensor then beings to grow and duplicate under the lens

6. From here, you then have more refinements that are advantageous, and then BLAMMO there is an eyeball.

Now, is there any science that shows this step can actually happen with genetic code, and whatever else exists in a species?  Nope.  No one even knows how to begin testing this postulation.  Yet, you have Dawkins and others saying that it is possible and plausible, so it make sense.  The drive is to blind the watchmaker, so we can completely not deal with watchmakers ever again... all in the name of showing how to create an eyeball that can see.

FaRmLaNd said:
Xbbjf9s said:

Are you in a round about way making the argument that its better to live life as if God exists, because if it exists then you gain everything whereas if it doesn't then you lose nothing?

Look up Pascal's Wager.

An answer to Pascal's Wager is then to ask whether or not merely believing their is a God or not, has any relevance, even to God.  If it doesn't, then you have NOTHING to gain, and NOTHING to lose either.  Pascal's Wager is predicated upon God awarding eternity to those who believe that God exists.  If the judgment is different, then it is useless.  Using a bit of reason, I believe that God would likely not be this.

Also, in the case of where there are  many different faiths, then what does one wager upon?  I would say maybe the best approach is to do what one can, and then hope God is merciful in the end. 

richardhutnik said:
FaRmLaNd said:
Xbbjf9s said:

Look up Pascal's Wager.

An answer to Pascal's Wager is then to ask whether or not merely believing their is a God or not, has any relevance, even to God.  If it doesn't, then you have NOTHING to gain, and NOTHING to lose either.  Pascal's Wager is predicated upon God awarding eternity to those who believe that God exists.  If the judgment is different, then it is useless.  Using a bit of reason, I believe that God would likely not be this.

Also, in the case of where there are  many different faiths, then what does one wager upon?  I would say maybe the best approach is to do what one can, and then hope God is merciful in the end. 

There is a huge flaw in Pascal's Wager. Even if you pick God, you can still be wrong and punished because there are many religions: Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Mormonism, Buddhism, etc. So just saying that if you believe in God, you have nothing to lose is nonsense because you can still be wrong and have eternal punishment.

gurglesletch said:

They are normal and right.

Can you express in more detail why they are right? Because as far as I can tell, all the evidence points to evolution.

RockSmith372 said:
richardhutnik said:
FaRmLaNd said:
Xbbjf9s said:

Look up Pascal's Wager.

There is a huge flaw in Pascal's Wager. Even if you pick God, you can still be wrong and punished because there are many religions: Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Mormonism, Buddhism, etc. So just saying that if you believe in God, you have nothing to lose is nonsense because you can still be wrong and have eternal punishment.

There are multiple flaws involved with Pascal's Wager, like the ones I stated above, and also the one you mentioned.  If i want to bring the Bible in here, I can also quote scripture to say why it is useless:

James 2:19 "You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder."

Only thing worth getting out of Pascal's Wage is the rewards for looking are potentially huge.