By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If 3D Dot Game Heroes was an actual Zelda game...

Do you think it would be rated higher?

I honestly feel this way since majority of review slam it for being too much like Zelda. I think if this was a true Zelda title it would be sitting at 85+.

Your thoughts?

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

I think you are right, my friend loves games like these, but he decided to pass it up because it "copied" Zelda too much >_>

im buying it because it resembles Zelda not the other way around lol

Whats it sitting at now?

It'd probably sell 5 million+ copies and be called one of the best Zelda games we've seen in a while. Reviews would all give it over a 9, and its Metacritic would be well above Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks.

I always hear about how the game isn't good because it copies Zelda, yet Zelda's been copying itself since Ocarina of Time every game and 3DDGH is the most refreshing "Zelda"-like experience I've had since God-knows-when. It's quite ironic that 3DDGH's greatness is belittled because it copies Zelda, when Zelda is an even bigger offender of it.

Currently playing: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, NBA2k11, Metal Gear Solid, Picross 3d

Around the Network

Yeah possibly, but also you gotta think that the game resembles something old and people are used to playing games that look more "mature" so that might also be bringing it down. Though come to think of it, if nintendo made this exact game it would have probably been very highly rated.

Euphoria14 said:

Do you think it would be rated higher?

I honestly feel this way since majority of review slam it for being too much like Zelda. I think if this was a true Zelda title it would be sitting at 85+.

Your thoughts?

It's hard to say, though it might be a couple of points higher based on the name.

Of course, it might also be lower, because all of th gam mechanics are about 18+ years old. If they released a new Zelda game that plays exactly like Link to the Past, reviewers might just kick the holy living dog shit out of it.

Oh no doubt, dude. No doubt.

4 ≈ One

If all they did was slap Zelda on to the title, then it would be horrible. People would be outraged. The graphics look nothing like Zelda, Link is not supposed to be customizable, and it wouldn't feel anything like Zelda games we've played in the past. I haven't played this yet (don't have a PS3), but I've seen videos, and it looks a lot like Zelda. I think it would have gotten better sales if it was a Zelda game. The thing is, most all Zelda games have been very similar, and Dot Game Heroes would take the series totally off course, for better or for worse. Some people might like it, others might not. I think that may be the deal with the new Zelda Wii.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

I've noticed that modern franchises that take a retro approach don't always get rated as highly. Look at New Super Mario Bros Wii compared to the Galaxy series. I can see a similar thing come up if 3D Dot were in fact an official Zelda title.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.