By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Whose your favorite Rapper?

I really try hard to like Jay-Z, but I just can't.
Can't stand Lil Wayne either.

Around the Network
g-value said:
@ Necromunda

Once again, telling me all of this won't change anything. Just stop it all of this and accept the fact that there are many people (including me) who feel that Wayne has alot of lyrical talent. Its called an opinion my friend.

I know, I'm just ranting. I try and look at it all with a critical level, opinions are fine but sometimes it sets me off because allot of people say Hip-Hop is dying, and if it goes the way of Lil-Wayne I can really see that happening.

Necromunda said:

I'm not just hating, it sincerely pisses me off, especially when people try and praise Lil Wayne for his lyrics. At the end of the day, Lil Wayne has no lyrical talent, he really doesn't, and he has been attacked regarding this many many times, what pisses me off more, being a Lupe Fiasco fan, who is no doubt the best in the business lyrically right now, is so damn over-rated and gets overlooked for Lil Wayne's lyrics.

You want lyrical genius, there you go, its right in front of you. I dare you to find one song from Lil Wayne that has such a lyrical value and depth as this one. IMO Lupe is the future of Hip Hop and Rap, sure of a hell not Lil Wayne.

Lil Wayne definitely has little depth in his lyrics, but that doesn't mean they aren't good at times. You can have great lyrics just shooting the shit, and that's what he excels at (on his mixtapes at least). Lupe seems to be a very popular pick for best lyricist or future of hip-hop from people that only listen to major label artists. I can throw out and already have thrown out in my other post, numerous artists that provide such a deep and off beat style of hip-hop that they have no accessibility for most ears. Lupe is still a product of appeasing the mass public. He fits more into the Roots, Little Brother, Dilated Peoples role of a third tier mainstream artist, but he's still accessible enough, and not providing a true deep and thoughtful product to still be signed by a major and get airplay. This right here is deep:

As the emcee becomes more entrenched in delivering truly deep subject matter they have less and less chance of actually gaining exposure. I don't think anyone signed to a major label could ever be the best lyricist in the game anymore, because those guys just don't get signed like that. I'll give Lupe credit as a great lyricist, but he has very little company as a radio artist. Put him with the indy label emcees and he doesn't stand out quite so much.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Necromunda said:
g-value said:
This song from Weezy is hot too

Want to see real talent? Here you go:

Now that is real, critically acclaimed, grammy winning material.

"Garbage man"
I'll be dumpin
And I eat beef but the cow eat nuthin
You probably say I didn't when I did
Or I wasn't when I was
And I'm not when I'm is" - Lil wayne

"hello mothafucka , hey hi how ya durin
its weezy f. baby come to take a shit and urine
on the toilet bowl bitches,
pussy ass niggaz
steppin on this beat like a mothafuckiin sigma
bad to the brissle
hat to the rissle
im so official all i need is a whistle
bitch named Crystal
let her suck my pistol
she open up her mouth and then i blow her brains out"

This line was so popular, that in my school, we had a huge group of guys yellin this shit in the hall ways.

Wayne may not have the best lyrics, but he makes his lyrics sound fucking awesome, remember flow is an important part of rap.

Now, Im gonna tell you that, anything main stream is lame... but thats just cold, im a huge fan of lyrics.

Onyxmeth said:
Necromunda said:

I'm not just hating, it sincerely pisses me off, especially when people try and praise Lil Wayne for his lyrics. At the end of the day, Lil Wayne has no lyrical talent, he really doesn't, and he has been attacked regarding this many many times, what pisses me off more, being a Lupe Fiasco fan, who is no doubt the best in the business lyrically right now, is so damn over-rated and gets overlooked for Lil Wayne's lyrics.

You want lyrical genius, there you go, its right in front of you. I dare you to find one song from Lil Wayne that has such a lyrical value and depth as this one. IMO Lupe is the future of Hip Hop and Rap, sure of a hell not Lil Wayne.

Lil Wayne definitely has little depth in his lyrics, but that doesn't mean they aren't good at times. You can have great lyrics just shooting the shit, and that's what he excels at (on his mixtapes at least). Lupe seems to be a very popular pick for best lyricist or future of hip-hop from people that only listen to major label artists. I can throw out and already have thrown out in my other post, numerous artists that provide such a deep and off beat style of hip-hop that they have no accessibility for most ears. Lupe is still a product of appeasing the mass public. He fits more into the Roots, Little Brother, Dilated Peoples role of a third tier mainstream artist, but he's still accessible enough, and not providing a true deep and thoughtful product to still be signed by a major and get airplay. This right here is deep:

As the emcee becomes more entrenched in delivering truly deep subject matter they have less and less chance of actually gaining exposure. I don't think anyone signed to a major label could ever be the best lyricist in the game anymore, because those guys just don't get signed like that. I'll give Lupe credit as a great lyricist, but he has very little company as a radio artist. Put him with the indy label emcees and he doesn't stand out quite so much.

Aesop def has intense lyrical skill, as do many others, no doubt underground always wins out in that respect, but underground is underground for a reason and will not be the future of Hip-Hop/Rap. Thats what I like about Lupe, he seems to maintain that balance needed to be considered the future of Hip-Hop/Rap.

Around the Network
Necromunda said:
Onyxmeth said:
Necromunda said:

Aesop def has intense lyrical skill, as do many others, no doubt underground always wins out in that respect, but underground is underground for a reason and will not be the future of Hip-Hop/Rap. Thats what I like about Lupe, he seems to maintain that balance needed to be considered the future of Hip-Hop/Rap.

Indy label artists are the present and future of hip-hop if we're talking about deep and meaningful material and raw skills. If we're talking about exposure and sales like I think you're getting at, then Lupe isn't the future of hip-hop either. I see a guy like B.O.B. having a far better shot at that, which is ok with me. I can't help but croon along with that Bruno Mars chorus in Nothing On You.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

@ Garnett

Alot of Lil Wayne's lines are popular.

Necromunda said:
Onyxmeth said:
Necromunda said:

Indy label artists are the present and future of hip-hop if we're talking about deep and meaningful material and raw skills. If we're talking about exposure and sales like I think you're getting at, then Lupe isn't the future of hip-hop either. I see a guy like B.O.B. having a far better shot at that, which is ok with me. I can't help but croon along with that Bruno Mars chorus in Nothing On You.

g-value said:
@ Garnett

Alot of Lil Wayne's lines are popular.

Yep. Lil wayne says some cold shit.

There are few real rapper left, most are either singing about love or dancing, that is the ONLY way to be mega popular.

Or you can work with DJ Khaled, like Officer Ricky, or Jeezy.

Onyxmeth said:
Necromunda said:
Onyxmeth said:
Necromunda said:

Give Lupe some time, he may very well breakout still, his career is young. I'm curious to see what happens with Lasers.