By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Apple is now worth more than Microsoft

nightsurge said:
Grimes said:

Building PCs is no longer the cheap option. Big companies buy their components in huge quantities, so they get the best prices.

In addition, you can't build a compact, silent pc on your own. Every part has to be customized to utilize space efficiently. I've looked into finding a completely quiet PC before and the iMac wound up being the least expensive option that fit my environment. It's a great minimalist computer. It's dead quiet, the only noise is the hard drive most of the time, even then it's well muffled inside the aluminum case.

You must not look at the right places.  I can build any kind of computer I want.  Quiet, gaming, HTPC, small form factors, servers, etc.  I can buy pretty much every part from Newegg or Amazon and still come up way cheaper than buying a prebuilt from Dell, HP, Sony, Gateway, etc.  I'll even end up with higher quality parts and better warranties when building my own!

There are literally thousands of fan options available to find the quietest/best fans.  Thousands of cases available to find the quietest and best form factor for your needs.  Building is still the cheap option and the ONLY way to get exactly what you want in every way imaginable.

No, you can't just build an iMac with off the shelf components. Everything is crammed in there like sardines. The boards are custom to fit the parts in the minimum of space. Show me a case where everything fits into a 1 inch thick space, including the monitor, which requires no cooling fans that I could put together in less than an hour.

Also, I don't have time to spend hours and hours to spend building computers. The majority of people don't either. I've put computers together before, it just isn't even close to being worth it anymore. I have no enjoyment in building computers, it's about as fun as cleaning toilets to me. I'd rather spend my time doing something I enjoy.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

Around the Network
Grimes said:
nightsurge said:
Grimes said:

Building PCs is no longer the cheap option. Big companies buy their components in huge quantities, so they get the best prices.

In addition, you can't build a compact, silent pc on your own. Every part has to be customized to utilize space efficiently. I've looked into finding a completely quiet PC before and the iMac wound up being the least expensive option that fit my environment. It's a great minimalist computer. It's dead quiet, the only noise is the hard drive most of the time, even then it's well muffled inside the aluminum case.

You must not look at the right places.  I can build any kind of computer I want.  Quiet, gaming, HTPC, small form factors, servers, etc.  I can buy pretty much every part from Newegg or Amazon and still come up way cheaper than buying a prebuilt from Dell, HP, Sony, Gateway, etc.  I'll even end up with higher quality parts and better warranties when building my own!

There are literally thousands of fan options available to find the quietest/best fans.  Thousands of cases available to find the quietest and best form factor for your needs.  Building is still the cheap option and the ONLY way to get exactly what you want in every way imaginable.

No, you can't just build an iMac with off the shelf components. Everything is crammed in there like sardines. The boards are custom to fit the parts in the minimum of space. Show me a case where everything fits into a 1 inch thick space, including the monitor, which requires no cooling fans that I could put together in less than an hour.

Also, I don't have time to spend hours and hours to spend building computers. The majority of people don't either. I've put computers together before, it just isn't even close to being worth it anymore. I have no enjoyment in building computers, it's about as fun as cleaning toilets to me. I'd rather spend my time doing something I enjoy.

Oh no, so you found one example of something that can't be done with custom builds.  That eliminated like .00001% of the potential custom builders!  Darn!

You are clearly not a PC building type to begin with.  Not even the PC type by the looks of it.  Millions of people build their own computers each year.  The custom PC market and build-yourself market keeps getting bigger because it will always be cheaper and is the only way to get what you want.  All it takes is a few hours on a free afternoon to build your first computer.  After that it is all the same, basically, and only takes an hour or 2.

Can you pick any graphics card or memory you want from any manufacturer and swap it out at will in your iMac?  No?  Shame.  What can you do when your iMac gets outdated?  Can you re-use the screen, the casing, and just update parts like CPU, motherboard, GPU, HDD, RAM, etc?  No?  Shame.  Looks like you're stuck just buying a whole new iMac and wasting even more money every 3-5 years.  Apple is pretty much the worst when it comes to locked down, proprietary hardware design to keep all the upgrades and repairs restricted to Apple certified technicians.  Especially their iMacs.

Most people love creating their own items for use and being resourceful with gaining knowledge and experience at new tasks.  They especially love saving money.  Then you have other people who just buy it premade and don't care about costs or aren't technologically inclined.

justinian said:
Jereel Hunter said:
justinian said:
Grimes said:
It's all about growth. Apple has shown it can successfully move into new markets and make money. This is something most other companies struggle with, but Apple has done this with regularity which is rather unique.

Agreed, but not only new markets. What they did with the iphone has astounded many "experts". Even that guy from MS apparently laughed when he heard of apple's plan to enter a competitive and saturated cellsmart phone market.

Since Jobs returned to apple the Apple TV has been it's only "failure" and they haven't given up on that yet.

@xen who said "I'll never understand why people buy macs over PC's".

Because some people like to be different and not follow the crowd because "everyone else is doing it". In this case the 98% Windows users.

That's the answer I got from a Mac user when I just asked him that question.

Amen. That's why I don't eat fruits and vegetables or take vaccines. I don't like following the crowd.

On a side note, I have scurvy and polio, but that makes me different.

Now you are in the realm of stupidity so let's leave it there.

Choosing something different, just to be different, is always in the realm of stupidity. That's the point.

Booh! said:
AnthonyW86 said:

It is so funny that on every forum i go there is a PC/Mac Windows/Mac OSX debate. Apple overtaking Microsoft in worth has nothing to with Mac, that division is only responsible for a very small part of Apple's income. It's the Ipod, Iphone, Itunes, Ipad etc. that bring in the money.

In the personal computer market, Microsoft is still way bigger than Apple. In fact many believe that if it hade not been for the IPod Apple wouldn't have survived to this day. Because remember, the IPod didn't just bring in big money, it also helped shape the ''Apple'' brand.

However the Mac, Ipod, Iphone and Ipad are all powered by OS's from the same code base (i.e. MacOSX, the same OS), while MS wasn't able to port their OS to different platforms. They uses Windows CE for portable devices and Zune, Windows NT for Desktops and Workstations, a custom OS for Xbox, while the Windows 9x branch died almost a decade ago.

Err ?????

Every workstation these days runs either XP, Vista or Windows 7....

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

nightsurge said:
Grimes said:

Oh no, so you found one example of something that can't be done with custom builds.  That eliminated like .00001% of the potential custom builders!  Darn!

You are clearly not a PC building type to begin with.  Not even the PC type by the looks of it.  Millions of people build their own computers each year.  The custom PC market and build-yourself market keeps getting bigger because it will always be cheaper and is the only way to get what you want.  All it takes is a few hours on a free afternoon to build your first computer.  After that it is all the same, basically, and only takes an hour or 2.

Can you pick any graphics card or memory you want from any manufacturer and swap it out at will in your iMac?  No?  Shame.  What can you do when your iMac gets outdated?  Can you re-use the screen, the casing, and just update parts like CPU, motherboard, GPU, HDD, RAM, etc?  No?  Shame.  Looks like you're stuck just buying a whole new iMac and wasting even more money every 3-5 years.  Apple is pretty much the worst when it comes to locked down, proprietary hardware design to keep all the upgrades and repairs restricted to Apple certified technicians.  Especially their iMacs.

Most people love creating their own items for use and being resourceful with gaining knowledge and experience at new tasks.  They especially love saving money.  Then you have other people who just buy it premade and don't care about costs or aren't technologically inclined.

Relax. Take a deep breath. Nobody is knocking system building. It's just not something that the majority of people want to spend their time on. The cost advantages were great 10 years ago, today not nearly so much.

Yes, there are millions of people who like building systems and all the power to them. But there are probably billions of people who don't. Neither is better or worse, just they have differerent requirements and desires.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

Around the Network
Grimes said:
nightsurge said:
Grimes said:

Relax. Take a deep breath. Nobody is knocking system building. It's just not something that the majority of people want to spend their time on. The cost advantages were great 10 years ago, today not nearly so much.

Yes, there are millions of people who like building systems and all the power to them. But there are probably billions of people who don't. Neither is better or worse, just they have differerent requirements and desires.

I am not sure what exactly I'm supposed to be relaxing and taking a deep breath for.  I merely wrote a reply on the interwebs.  Why do people always assume that others they are arguing with are upset.  It's... weird.

Jereel Hunter said:
justinian said:
Jereel Hunter said:
justinian said:
Grimes said:
It's all about growth. Apple has shown it can successfully move into new markets and make money. This is something most other companies struggle with, but Apple has done this with regularity which is rather unique.

Agreed, but not only new markets. What they did with the iphone has astounded many "experts". Even that guy from MS apparently laughed when he heard of apple's plan to enter a competitive and saturated cellsmart phone market.

Since Jobs returned to apple the Apple TV has been it's only "failure" and they haven't given up on that yet.

@xen who said "I'll never understand why people buy macs over PC's".

Because some people like to be different and not follow the crowd because "everyone else is doing it". In this case the 98% Windows users.

That's the answer I got from a Mac user when I just asked him that question.

Amen. That's why I don't eat fruits and vegetables or take vaccines. I don't like following the crowd.

On a side note, I have scurvy and polio, but that makes me different.

Now you are in the realm of stupidity so let's leave it there.

Choosing something different, just to be different, is always in the realm of stupidity. That's the point.

Then in your opinion history are full of stupid people most others now consider genius.

People who deliberately choose something different just to be different, from artist like Picasso and di Vinci to singers like David Bowie.

Albert Einstein chose to wear his hair long and unkept deliberately to be different and not look like everyone else, especially others in his profession. A damn fool, Einstein.

It all lasted one day. Microsoft is back on top now.

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2010/05/27/right-back-at-ya-microsoft-back-ahead-of-apple-in-market-cap/

EMULATION is the past.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

nightsurge said:
Grimes said:
nightsurge said:
Grimes said:

Actually my feeling is that the custom build market has shrunk down a lot compared to where it was 10 years ago.

Back then you were really saving a lot of money custom building your PC.

But while you can still save some cash these days the saving aren't on the same scale ( Dell and the likes have put a lot of pressure on parts makers and they get chips and other parts at a heavily discounted price compared to what you would have to pay for them) and most people actually stopped building their owns...

I'm saying that based on my experience. I've been working in the software industry for now 12 years and when I started I knew many coworkers that built their own PC and the huge majority of them have shifted to pre- built over the years......

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

darklich13 said:
It all lasted one day. Microsoft is back on top now.

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2010/05/27/right-back-at-ya-microsoft-back-ahead-of-apple-in-market-cap/

Short term I'm sure they'll trade off. But if you look at the long term chart for MS, it's almost completely flat over the last decade. That's the problem, MS is stagnant, it may not go down but I don't see anything driving it up either. For an investor, it's like putting your money in a savings account, which is good for some and not good to others.