By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Apple is now worth more than Microsoft

It was only a matter of time. Apple has been innovative with their technology the past decade whereas Microsoft has become over-confident and stagnant.

Around the Network
Grimes said:
It's all about growth. Apple has shown it can successfully move into new markets and make money. This is something most other companies struggle with, but Apple has done this with regularity which is rather unique.

Agreed, but not only new markets. What they did with the iphone has astounded many "experts". Even that guy from MS apparently laughed when he heard of apple's plan to enter a competitive and saturated cell\smart phone market.

Since Jobs returned to apple the Apple TV has been it's only "failure" and they haven't given up on that yet.

@xen who said "I'll never understand why people buy macs over PC's".

Because some people like to be different and not follow the crowd because "everyone else is doing it". In this case the 98% Windows users.

That's the answer I got from a Mac user when I just asked him that question.

Booh! said:
Jereel Hunter said:
Booh! said:

And those who want capability from their OS don't choose Windows either.

This is true. Unless they know what they're talking about.

Unless you tried Vista some years back and have been in a bubble since, then there's no excuse for you to be this clueless. XP and Windows 7 are both almost universally acknowledged as great operating systems. And they are both capable of more than any other OS... unless "running software" is somehow not factored into the equation.

Power users began to shift away from windows well before vista was out:

Film industry:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6011 (2002)

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Hollywood-Loves-Linux-45571.shtml (2007)

Video Game industry:

http://www.naughtydog.com/docs/Naughty-Dog-GDC08-UNCHARTED-Tech.pdf (2008)

I could go on with almost every industrial branch, not to mention scientific research.

The software industry at large is still using Windows.

I should know, I work in it....

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

justinian said:

Because some people like to be different and not follow the crowd because "everyone else is doing it". In this case the 98% Windows users.

That's an awefully expensive way to express your difference from the norm...

I'd think it would be much easier to build your own PC or even use Linux if you really wanted to be different.  That'd be a lot cheaper too.

AnthonyW86 said:

It is so funny that on every forum i go there is a PC/Mac Windows/Mac OSX debate. Apple overtaking Microsoft in worth has nothing to with Mac, that division is only responsible for a very small part of Apple's income. It's the Ipod, Iphone, Itunes, Ipad etc. that bring in the money.

In the personal computer market, Microsoft is still way bigger than Apple. In fact many believe that if it hade not been for the IPod Apple wouldn't have survived to this day. Because remember, the IPod didn't just bring in big money, it also helped shape the ''Apple'' brand.

However the Mac, Ipod, Iphone and Ipad are all powered by OS's from the same code base (i.e. MacOSX, the same OS), while MS wasn't able to port their OS to different platforms. They uses Windows CE for portable devices and Zune, Windows NT for Desktops and Workstations, a custom OS for Xbox, while the Windows 9x branch died almost a decade ago.

Around the Network
nightsurge said:
justinian said:

I'd think it would be much easier to build your own PC or even use Linux if you really wanted to be different.  That'd be a lot cheaper too.

Building PCs is no longer the cheap option. Big companies buy their components in huge quantities, so they get the best prices.

In addition, you can't build a compact, silent pc on your own. Every part has to be customized to utilize space efficiently. I've looked into finding a completely quiet PC before and the iMac wound up being the least expensive option that fit my environment. It's a great minimalist computer. It's dead quiet, the only noise is the hard drive most of the time, even then it's well muffled inside the aluminum case.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

justinian said:
Grimes said:
It's all about growth. Apple has shown it can successfully move into new markets and make money. This is something most other companies struggle with, but Apple has done this with regularity which is rather unique.

Agreed, but not only new markets. What they did with the iphone has astounded many "experts". Even that guy from MS apparently laughed when he heard of apple's plan to enter a competitive and saturated cellsmart phone market.

Since Jobs returned to apple the Apple TV has been it's only "failure" and they haven't given up on that yet.

Amen. That's why I don't eat fruits and vegetables or take vaccines. I don't like following the crowd.

On a side note, I have scurvy and polio, but that makes me different.

nightsurge said:
justinian said:

His response is because he can afford it. If he couldn't he would have done what you suggested.

I seriously doubt this as the Adobe Suite he uses is not native to linux.

Maybe that's why he drives a '60s Jaguar that cost twice as much as a decent 21st century car and no where near as good.

Personally I think he is a snob.

Jereel Hunter said:
justinian said:
Grimes said:

Agreed, but not only new markets. What they did with the iphone has astounded many "experts". Even that guy from MS apparently laughed when he heard of apple's plan to enter a competitive and saturated cellsmart phone market.

Amen. That's why I don't eat fruits and vegetables or take vaccines. I don't like following the crowd.

On a side note, I have scurvy and polio, but that makes me different.

Now you are in the realm of stupidity so let's leave it there.

Grimes said:
nightsurge said:
justinian said:

Building PCs is no longer the cheap option. Big companies buy their components in huge quantities, so they get the best prices.

In addition, you can't build a compact, silent pc on your own. Every part has to be customized to utilize space efficiently. I've looked into finding a completely quiet PC before and the iMac wound up being the least expensive option that fit my environment. It's a great minimalist computer. It's dead quiet, the only noise is the hard drive most of the time, even then it's well muffled inside the aluminum case.

You must not look at the right places.  I can build any kind of computer I want.  Quiet, gaming, HTPC, small form factors, servers, etc.  I can buy pretty much every part from Newegg or Amazon and still come up way cheaper than buying a prebuilt from Dell, HP, Sony, Gateway, etc.  I'll even end up with higher quality parts and better warranties when building my own!

There are literally thousands of fan options available to find the quietest/best fans.  Thousands of cases available to find the quietest and best form factor for your needs.  Building is still the cheap option and the ONLY way to get exactly what you want in every way imaginable.