By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Apple is now worth more than Microsoft

This is not good

Romance is like playing Mastermind except the girl never tells you which pegs you got right. - Seanbaby

Around the Network
Grimes said:
darklich13 said:
It all lasted one day. Microsoft is back on top now.

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2010/05/27/right-back-at-ya-microsoft-back-ahead-of-apple-in-market-cap/

Short term I'm sure they'll trade off. But if you look at the long term chart for MS, it's almost completely flat over the last decade. That's the problem, MS is stagnant, it may not go down but I don't see anything driving it up either. For an investor, it's like putting your money in a savings account, which is good for some and not good to others.

The only issue with purchasing Apple stocks is that you are betting that Steve Jobs will stay healthy for a while...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

This is just so sad. I can't believe it. The amazing giant Microsoft is surpassed by little Apple.

Ail said:
Grimes said:
darklich13 said:

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2010/05/27/right-back-at-ya-microsoft-back-ahead-of-apple-in-market-cap/

Short term I'm sure they'll trade off. But if you look at the long term chart for MS, it's almost completely flat over the last decade. That's the problem, MS is stagnant, it may not go down but I don't see anything driving it up either. For an investor, it's like putting your money in a savings account, which is good for some and not good to others.

The only issue with purchasing Apple stocks is that you are betting that Steve Jobs will stay healthy for a while...

There is definitely a risk. But then again, Apple seemed to operate decently when he was absent.

All I know is MS has been dead money for a while.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

Grimes said:
Ail said:
Grimes said:
darklich13 said:

There is definitely a risk. But then again, Apple seemed to operate decently when he was absent.

All I know is MS has been dead money for a while.

Small correction :

MS has been dead growth, they have been very reliable in maintaining a healthy level of profit however.

They are like a treasury bond, no matter what happens you know they will pay the coupon at the expected date, even if the economy isn't doing that well. Do not expect your coupon to increase much over time however....

But they will however remain very profitable for the medium term as most of their business is recuring...

The main issue with Apple is that the majority of the business isn't a recuring business and noone knows if they will be able to keep maintaining such high profit margins on hardware for the medium term as it is something noone has been successfull to keep going for a long time aside from the luxury and software business...

Around the Network
Ail said:
Booh! said:
AnthonyW86 said:

It is so funny that on every forum i go there is a PC/Mac Windows/Mac OSX debate. Apple overtaking Microsoft in worth has nothing to with Mac, that division is only responsible for a very small part of Apple's income. It's the Ipod, Iphone, Itunes, Ipad etc. that bring in the money.

In the personal computer market, Microsoft is still way bigger than Apple. In fact many believe that if it hade not been for the IPod Apple wouldn't have survived to this day. Because remember, the IPod didn't just bring in big money, it also helped shape the ''Apple'' brand.

However the Mac, Ipod, Iphone and Ipad are all powered by OS's from the same code base (i.e. MacOSX, the same OS), while MS wasn't able to port their OS to different platforms. They uses Windows CE for portable devices and Zune, Windows NT for Desktops and Workstations, a custom OS for Xbox, while the Windows 9x branch died almost a decade ago.

Err ?????

Every workstation these days runs either XP, Vista or Windows 7....

Exactly:

Windows NT 5.0 = Windows 2000

Windows NT 5.1 = Windows XP

Windows NT 6.0 = Windows Vista

Windows NT 6.1 = Windows 7

Open the console, type "ver", press enter and you'll know what I mean.

Hey Question. How does Microsoft's financial look? How well are they doing in general? Thanks.

NYANKS said:
Hey Question. How does Microsoft's financial look? How well are they doing in general? Thanks.

very well :P

They had a net income of 4 billion$ last quarter on 14.5 billion$ of revenue....

They have consistently been in the top 10 companies worldwide that make the most profit for the last 10 year.....

They were ranked 8th for profit last year with 16 billion$ of profit.( 5 oil companies in front of them, 1 chinese bank, 1 chinese telecom).

Apple was ranked 31st with 9.36 billion$ of profit.

Basically it took Microsoft 57 days in 2009 to make the profit Nintendo made in the whole year......

Microsoft makes 32.8 million$ of profit per day...

Never bought an Apple product, and I'm proud to say that. I have used them however occasionally.

the day they stop charging double what a product is worth is the day I might buy one of their devices.

ph4nt said:

Never bought an Apple product, and I'm proud to say that. I have used them however occasionally.

the day they stop charging double what a product is worth is the day I might buy one of their devices.

I hear you on that one.  Plus I've never liked how Apple handles the batteries on their products. Why does the battery have to be soddered in? 

EMULATION is the past.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E