By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Guerilla: Killzone 3 “pushes 100%” of PS3’s max SPU load

disolitude said:
lol. PS3 devs sure know how to feed the fanboys with their press statements...

Really...?  You'd think this will be bad for SONY fanboys because it's a SONY developer who claims that more CANNOT be done withthe PS3.  Your trolling = backfire.

But then again...

http://kotaku.com/5159137/making-killzone-2-proved-too-much-for-amsterdams-power-supply

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

Around the Network

Uncharted 2 used 100% of the SPU capability as well, but the name of the game is optimization now. We can't say that KZ3 will be the best looking PS3 game ever just because it maximizes usage of the SPUs.

I survived the Apocalyps3

I've heard statements like this a million times. What the hell does it even mean, and how is it good for the consumer? Does it mean the game is jam packed with awesomeness or what?

HexenLord said:

Its kinda hard to push a processor to the max. The only thing that really specifies the 'max' of the PS3 processor is its cooling capabilities of its fans/heatsink. They'll push it to its boiling point and then say its 'maxed out'. 

For example, a 2.8Ghz 6-core AMD processor can be overclocked to 5Ghz PER CORE using a liquid nitrogen cooler. 'maxing' out a processor is a relative term. Its full capability is based on your ability to keep it from melting itself down, and supplying enough power to it to do the task at hand. Of course you aren't going to get a 233mhz Pentium to overclock to 10 Ghz because it doesn't have the conductive capacities to pull enough amps, and even if you tried, it would still melt regardless of what you were cooling it with.

The PS3 processor won't be maxed for a while. The Phats might be maxed soon enough, but eventually there will be a firmware update with a hidden feature that allows developers to overclock processors, especially in the Slim, to take better advantage of 3D capabilities.. etc.

What? Really?

This is not about overclock a processor. It is to use the maximum possible of the stock CPU.

What happens in multicore processor is that a core often have to "wait" for other core before start a new task. Killzone 3 will use 100% because the SPUs will not be idle. They said in a interview that instead going idle, the SPUs may start to stream the content of the next set of the stage, etc...

100% of the SPU is very different than maximum power capabilities.

In fact, x360 uses 100% of his power since a long time ago, but it is a matter of optimizations on how to improve graphics

"You see there’s steam coming out of the machine, almost."

The most epic statement of this generation.

Around the Network

I don't believe anyone has ever said they maxed the ps3 just that they were saying they were doing 100% of something concerning the ps3.

mgs4: maxed out the bluray disc's available at the time

Killzone 2: used 60% of the ps3 power

uncharted 2: maxed out a 25GB bluray disc and uses the SPU's 100% of the time. Naughty dog later said the ps3 is like a bottomless pit that just keeps giving.

God of war 3:  uses 50% of the engine Santa Monica used to create the game.

Killzone 3: uses the SPU's 100% of the time. which doesn't mean they maxed out the processor or the ps3.

none of these statement in anyway say that they maxed out the ps3. anything I missed.

correct me if I am wrong
stop me if I am bias
I love a good civilised debate (but only if we can learn something).