By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - This Generation: Stiff Competition making a great Generation.

well done and i'd haft to agree.

Around the Network

There is the giant elephant in the room called the Wii which produced some really fun titles as well. Sure the wii lacks the presentation other 2 consoles have, but gameplay is still king...right? right?

I mean, I just finished Sin and Punishment 2 and am playing Mario Gallaxy 2...both of which I am finding way more fun than Alan Wake or Mass Effect 2 few months back.

Whole heartedly believe that Sony losing their top domination has forced them to step up their game. Also the close race between microsoft and Sony has forced them to not be lazy. Nintendo has made some decent stuff, but I will not give my true opinion of them because it always gets me banned.

This is the generation of shooters and I love it. The day I played Goldeneye: 007 I was hooked.
Bring on the competition to make companies actually have to work to sell system and gain profit. Without this gaming would become stagnent and banal.

Those are indeed some awesome games, Selnor. But I think you forgot a console...

As first party involvement increases, it just seems third party goes down hill.

First party (of all three) has done amazing things this gen, but I just get the feeling that the third party is not trying NEARLY as hard to make outstanding games this gen.

I am definitely enjoying this gen, but I enjoyed last gen even more (I need more RPGs!)

EDIT: And A+ on the thread.  Talking about MS and Sony as positive first party forces is something I agree completely with.  Keeping Nintendo out is not as big of a deal as people are making it out to be.  They have been a very strong first party for many generations, it is just that in this one in particular Sony and MS have had to step it up (and have done so)

Around the Network
Lodder said:
Great Read, and no fanboyism. Lets hope this thread stays that way.

No such luck!

I don't see how there could be a thread about such a topic with no mention of the Wii. Fact is, PS3 and 360 are not competing with each other so much as they need each other - combined they offer a much larger userbase to developers.

However, you are still right that competition has made a great generation

Nintendo was facing very fierce competition before this gen, and as a result they have produced many of the best games in the companies history, and as a result the Wii was competition for the PS360. This competition has resulted in many things that are good for gamers, such as

1 - Price wars - price cuts of consoles and moneyhatting games = good for consumers

2 - Move and Natal - awesome for gamers

3 - Incredible 1st party efforts

I'd say Nintendo returning as top dog and epanding gaming and 2D Mario returning to home consoles are much bigger events than those described in the OP.

I LOVE ICELAND!

well not all the titles that he mentioned are first party titles. I still think the wii should be a big part of this thread for revolutionizing controls, giving consoles a truly broad appeal, and doing all that while still having a killer first party lineup and a few very nice third party exclusives.

Definately true. Last gen Sony dominated console gaming with 70% marketshare and left Nintendo and Micosoft way behind but 1st party games from Sony was crap except for Team ICO, GOW and GT. After PS3 failed to meet their expection in early years Sony reallised they cannot rely on brand names anyomreThis gen with competitive rivals forced Sony to invest a lot in games and as result we got some of the best and most innovative game ever. LittleBigPlanet, Uncharted 1 & 2, Heavy Rain, Infamous, Demons Soul, Resistance, MAG, White Knight Chronicle, God of War 3 and Mod Nation Racer and lot more. 3 of them are already won GOTY (4 if MGS4 count as Sony pay them and help in ads).

Upcoming PS3 1st part games
- Gran Turismo 5
- LittleBigPlanet 2
- The Last Guardian
- Socom 4
- Killzone 3
- White Knight Chronicle 2
- Uncharted 3

You should give Nintendo and Wii some credit. Wii popularize motion control and even forced Sony and Microsoft to same ones.