By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Vietnam won or lost?

Vietnam won or lost?

America lost 65 81.25%

American won 9 11.25%

Its a draw 6 7.50%

Total:80
mrstickball said:
I found a neat interview concerning the war:

According to post-war interviews with NVA generals, the North was ready to surrender after our bombing campaigns in 1972-73. However, due to the anti-war movement of people like Fonda meeting with the North, they realized that America was on the brink of defeat due to internal struggles, and pressed on until we fled. Had the anti-war movement not been so radical, we would have won.

The more I think about this, the more interested I get!  Source plz? 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network
Final-Fan said:
mrstickball said:

According to post-war interviews with NVA generals, the North was ready to surrender after our bombing campaigns in 1972-73. However, due to the anti-war movement of people like Fonda meeting with the North, they realized that America was on the brink of defeat due to internal struggles, and pressed on until we fled. Had the anti-war movement not been so radical, we would have won.

http://www.grunt.com/scuttlebutt/corps-stories/vietnam/north.asp

Lots of good stuff on why we lost, straight from the friggin' source - an NVA colonel. This interview has been sourced many, many times. I need to find the other interviews of other NVA leaders, but the major citation about the resolve of the Vietnamese centers around Kerry and Fonda protesting the war - the NVA knew that since that was going on, that the US lacked the resolve to actually win.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

lets just wait for the new call of duty game and let history come alive.

Final-Fan said:
mrstickball said:
Samus Aran said:
mrstickball said:
Honestly...

I'd take the USSR over America as to the leading reason the allies won WW2, at least in Europe, anyways. Although the USSR had some major, tragic mis-steps during the first year of the war, the fact is that the Soviets had the best weaponry (ground based, anyways) of the allies, and had the best type of economy to ensure that the Germans could be destroyed. They had the advantage of crippling winters, forced labor, and good propaganda to ensure that they could send enough people to die for the homeland.

Had it not been for Stalin's incompotence during the first year or two, the USSR would of made even more mincemeat of the Germans. Fortunately for the USSR, Stalin was not as incompotent as Hitler was, which worked in the Soviet favor later on, as he delegated more authority to his commanders.

To further this notion, just look at Operation Unthinkable. It was the post-WW2 plan of continuing the war against the Soviets until we took Moscow. Guess what? We didn't do it because we would have lost against the reds. Scary stuff, but true. That is why I'd take the Soviets over the US in the war.

You make a good point, but my post was more directed towards world war I then world war II.

Yeah, a direct war against the USSR would have been dangerous at that time although the USSR lost MASSIVE lives during WW II and USA/UK did not. But then again, Russians have the big advantage of their massive cold land and lack of empathy towards their people. 

Hitler should have never broken his non-aggression pact with Stalin in 1942. He should have kept the focus on Britain and bomb the British radar systems. In 1941 the only nation still at war with Germany was Britain. If he didn't start a second front(Didn't he learn anything from WWI lol?) he would have defeated GB eventually. USA intervention would have been totally useless if Great Britain was defeated thus Hitler would have won the war. 

I seriously don't get why Hitler even tried(more space for his Aryan race is bullshit reason), if even Napoleon couldn't bring the Russians on their knees then how will an incompetent fool like Hitler do it? He should have just stayed out of war and let his Generals do the strategic warfare.

No one could stand up against Germany without allies during both world wars. I think that's pretty impressive for one country(with no real allies). Italy sucked as an ally and Japan and Germany never had a common strategy which was a BIG factor on why they lost WWII. 

But do you think D day would have succeeded without the USA? I think not and that was an important factor in deciding the war. As the second front was finally opened which Stalin asked so long for. British land-army was/is not really impressive then.

edit: lol my post sounds as if I wanted a German victory. Rather not Oo

Oh, I understand. I've looked and looked and looked into various WW2 theories.

The fact is, Hitler could of won WW2 in 1,000 different ways. The problem was that Hitler was simply insane. He demanded tactical control of German forces, yet had no real tactical insight to ensure that what the army did was the right thing to do.

The march on Stalingrad is probably the prime example of both Hitler and Stalin's idiocy - Stalin ordered his troops never to retreat, and many died. When they finally fell away into Stalingrad proper, Hitler ordered his forces to take the city of his namesake simply to be a moral victory...

In the end, the USSR won, and began the chain of events to drive the Germans out of the USSR.

I think that was the major advantage with the US and British tactics - the leaders of both nations actually gave their tacticians the lattitude to win.

I disagree about the USSR being more important than the USA.  A big reason for this is the massive support the USSR got from the USA, which obviously should be counted on the USA side.  The only thing the Russians really brought to the party was lots of bodies and their awesome tanks, both of which they used badly. 

I question the accuracy of your Hitler-Stalin comparison.  For starters, Stalin had a habit of executing/exiling dissenters which I believe Hiter did not share.  Who was really more controlling?  Keep in mind the difference between Hitler's behavior through most of the war vs. the end of it. 

He invaded Russia because both sides were planning to betray the other.  Hitler got to it first, that's all. 

More specifically on Hitler, I recently read a book that argues that he deserves more credit than he's usually given as a strategic commander.  For instance, he wanted to attack France almost immediately after taking Poland, which didn't happen because his commanders resisted it because they felt they were unprepared (needing to recover from Poland), but France was even more unprepared.  France would have been a lot tougher than it was except that France panicked, which made Britain panic and bail out, which screwed the French defenses, so it probably came out even with Hitler's original plan. 

I know Hitler would have attacked the Soviet Union eventually(or the other way around) as communists and fascists are arch rivals. But it still doesn't make much sense from a strategic point of view, at least not so soon. It would have been better for Hitler to wait after the western front was over. If Germany defeated Great Britain before the USA had finished mobilising their troops(which was certainly possible) then US intervention would have been totally useless since troops would not be able to enter "Festung Europa". And lets be honest here, Germany could totally handle the USA on its own(and Hitler would probably have never attacked the USA directly as it would be too far away to control). 

Even if Germany would have been weakened by the war they could still defend pretty easily from Russia. I've never seen Russia as a strong power till after world war II I guess. Sure they can defend, but when they attack its everything except impressive(Russian-Japanese wars, Caucasus wars, Napoleonic wars outside Russia(Austerlitz for example), Crimean war, etc.)

edit: I quoted the wrong post, sorry.

highwaystar101 said:
Lost. But to be fair, when you're fighting a guerilla army then you can't really win.

It's more or less the same reason why we're losing in Afghanistan too.

Highwaystar, I actually agree

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
Final-Fan said:
mrstickball said:

http://www.grunt.com/scuttlebutt/corps-stories/vietnam/north.asp
Lots of good stuff on why we lost, straight from the friggin' source - an NVA colonel. This interview has been sourced many, many times. I need to find the other interviews of other NVA leaders, but the major citation about the resolve of the Vietnamese centers around Kerry and Fonda protesting the war - the NVA knew that since that was going on, that the US lacked the resolve to actually win.

That's pretty devastating.  But I think your nested post should say "had the anti-war movement not existed".  What I got from that was that negative American PR was literally a key part of their strategy.  Fonda's visit was a coup but not a turning point. 

Additionally, he makes no mention of being seriously set back by bombing of the Ho Chi Minh trail.  But he does suggest that we could have crushed them after the spectacular military failure of the Tet offensives if we hadn't started to withdraw just when they were at their weakest.  (1969-70). 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!

Samus Aran said:
Final-Fan said:
He invaded Russia because both sides were planning to betray the other.  Hitler got to it first, that's all. 

I know Hitler would have attacked the Soviet Union eventually(or the other way around) as communists and fascists are arch rivals. But it still doesn't make much sense from a strategic point of view, at least not so soon. It would have been better for Hitler to wait after the western front was over. If Germany defeated Great Britain before the USA had finished mobilising their troops(which was certainly possible) then US intervention would have been totally useless since troops would not be able to enter "Festung Europa". And lets be honest here, Germany could totally handle the USA on its own(and Hitler would probably have never attacked the USA directly as it would be too far away to control). 

Even if Germany would have been weakened by the war they could still defend pretty easily from Russia. I've never seen Russia as a strong power till after world war II I guess. Sure they can defend, but when they attack its everything except impressive(Russian-Japanese wars, Caucasus wars, Napoleonic wars outside Russia(Austerlitz for example), Crimean war, etc.)

Well, let me start by saying it wasn't just communism vs. fascism per se.  Communists IIRC consider it almost a holy duty to expand the franchise globally by hook or by crook; and Germans -- especially the military -- hated communism because of their failed revolution in Germany in 1919. 

I'm not sure what kind of timetable you're looking at for Germany defeating Great Britain, but I don't think it would have happened before Stalin invaded.  And despite the eventual failure, Germany's initial results were so devastating that I find it hard to believe that simply defending would have been more beneficial. 

Also, you didn't mention Finland.  Sure, they won, but it took so long it was embarrassing. 

P.S.  I'm pretty skeptical of the stuff you said re: USA, but it's going a bit astray to debate that IMO. 

Let's see. America and some arm twisted allies invade Vietnam because the Frogs lost control of one of their colonies and it was falling to the communists. They fight a war for control of Vietnam with the purpose of installing a non-communist govt.

America and her allies don't succeed in defeating the communist forces, and have to beat a hasty retreat after 15 years of direct military involvement. The war was over when Saigon fell to the Communist North Vietnam Army with the Western allies running away with their tails between their legs.

America then proceeds to try punish Vietnam economically and are constantly trying to kill off the communist regime using Cold War tactics. But The communist regime survives to today and Vietnam is actually a growing economy (a la China) rather than a pariah state (a la North Korea).

Strange how a drawn conflict (Korea) has had a worse outcome (a nuclear armed rogue state) than a clear loss on the part of America. I guess the lesson is that wars should be won or lost. Draws (prolonged ceasefires) seem to be the worst of all possible outcomes.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Final-Fan said:
Samus Aran said:
Final-Fan said:

Well, let me start by saying it wasn't just communism vs. fascism per se.  Communists IIRC consider it almost a holy duty to expand the franchise globally by hook or by crook; and Germans -- especially the military -- hated communism because of their failed revolution in Germany in 1919. 

I'm not sure what kind of timetable you're looking at for Germany defeating Great Britain, but I don't think it would have happened before Stalin invaded.  And despite the eventual failure, Germany's initial results were so devastating that I find it hard to believe that simply defending would have been more beneficial. 

Also, you didn't mention Finland.  Sure, they won, but it took so long it was embarrassing. 

P.S.  I'm pretty skeptical of the stuff you said re: USA, but it's going a bit astray to debate that IMO. 

I was told that Stalin's strategy was that he'd attack Germany after they have been weakened by the war. I guess we'll never know for sure what Stalin would have done if Hitler respected the non-aggression pact longer. And I'm aware of the communist revolution in 1919 and the weakness of the government to act against all these coup d'etats or repressing the ones that caused them, but I can't possibly list every reason, or I could write whole pages of it(I have actually written 140 pages from 1789 till the 1950s for an assignment). 

And yes, I didn't mention Finland, that was embarrassing as well lol. They also won the Caucasus wars, but it took them so long and so much trouble that it was embarrassing as hell. 

And yeah thread is derailed, but how much discussion can there be over who lost the Vietnam war? It's pretty clear that the US failed to meet their objectives in Vietnam. Korea is a different story, that war was won(or it was a draw, but North Korea was the first to invade south Korea and failed) even though the north remained communist. They also lost the war on Cuba even though they never attacked Cuba directly, they did support a Cuban invasion force however, but they didn't support them enough(which is probably why Kennedy got assassinated, by angry Cubans that were against communism in Cuba. But my knowledge is fuzzy about that subject.)

assassinated 

We know who shot Kennedy. I was not aware that he was acting on behalf of or at the behest of Cubans.