By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Vietnam won or lost?

Vietnam won or lost?

America lost 65 81.25%

American won 9 11.25%

Its a draw 6 7.50%

Total:80
Scoobes said:
Samus Aran said:
FootballFan said:
Scoobes said:
FootballFan said:
Lostplanet22 said:
FootballFan said:
Lostplanet22 said:

In a war their are no winners. Only losers.

Btw I remembered we learned the UK also treated to put pressure on the dollar something that is related during the Suez war when USA treated to put pressure on the £.

NO!

So what did the Uk won during the last wars?

VICTORY
Operation Iraqi Freedom - March 19, 2003
Britain and coalition forces invade and remove Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein from power.

http://www.militaryfactory.com/battles/english_military_victories.asp

I think the question was more "what did we win" than "when" we won. It got rid of Saddam Hussein, but that didn't mean much for the British people as he didn't have WMDs and there was no evidence that he was supporting terrorists. In fact, Saddam Hussein and Al Qaeda were polar opposites as to put it simply, Saddam Hussein disregarded religious rules as much as he disregarded life.

The only thing we possibly "won" was access to more oil.

In the World Wars we won our freedom....therefore we succeeded and Germany was defeated.

UK lost in the world wars, USA won.

Excuse me? We were called allies for a reason.

Colonial empire of Great Britain was greatly weakened because of world war 1 and 2 which lead to a rapid independence of their colonies. Because of world war 1 and 2 the economy of Europe was destroyed. The economy of the USA grew to rapid heights because their factories produced weapons/and other goods for the allies in Europe. USA gained A LOT from world war I and II and lost practically nothing important. 

Tell me what did Europe gain for unleashing two world wars? Nothing, they only lost. And YES, Britain is responsible for both world wars together with France and Germany. If it wasn't for the incompetent peace treaty of Versaille world war II might have never of happened at all. Or the incompetent leadership in France and Britain before WWII. In 1930 the people of Germany were the perfect sheep for a fascist leader. 

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:
Scoobes said:

Colonial empire of Great Britain was greatly weakened because of world war 1 and 2 which lead to a rapid independence of their colonies. Because of world war 1 and 2 the economy of Europe was destroyed. The economy of the USA grew to rapid heights because their factories produced weapons/and other goods for the allies in Europe. USA gained A LOT from world war I and II and lost practically nothing important. 

Tell me what did Europe gain for unleashing two world wars? Nothing, they only lost. And YES, Britain is responsible for both world wars together with France and Germany. If it wasn't for the incompetent peace treaty of Versaille world war II might have never of happened at all. Or the incompetent leadership in France and Britain before WWII. In 1930 the people of Germany were the perfect sheep for a fascist leader. 

The way you put it made it seem like the USA won on their own. Nothing of Russia, UK, French resistance etc.

@ bolded:

It's lovely to say that in hindsight, but the fact is once Germany had that fascist leader, we all had to enter the war, or suffer the consequences.

I found a neat interview concerning the war:

According to post-war interviews with NVA generals, the North was ready to surrender after our bombing campaigns in 1972-73. However, due to the anti-war movement of people like Fonda meeting with the North, they realized that America was on the brink of defeat due to internal struggles, and pressed on until we fled. Had the anti-war movement not been so radical, we would have won.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Scoobes said:
Samus Aran said:
Scoobes said:

The way you put it made it seem like the USA won on their own. Nothing of Russia, UK, French resistance etc.

@ bolded:

It's lovely to say that in hindsight, but the fact is once Germany had that fascist leader, we all had to enter the war, or suffer the consequences.

Most European countries had dictators in the 1930s. Democracy was weak except in a handful of countries. Hitler came to power in 1933 and challenged UK and France a lot. Too bad they never reacted when Germany was still weak. But you all had to enter war right? That's why you(I mean your leaders) were complete pussies and gave Hitler everything he ranted about? They finally went to war because they realized Hitler would never stop demanding things. It only took them 6 years to figure that one out!

And the trust of France in their Maginot Line was just pitiful.  

Seriously, do they indoctrinate you with all that bullshit in school? 

And I wasn't even talking about the actual fighting in the war. Just saying that both world wars were extremely beneficial for the USA and it destroyed the European Hegemony. That makes you a loser in war and USA a winner :) 

I'm amazed there are still 8 idiots who believe the US won that war and some more who believe it was a draw.

I mean it's a fact, the US lost this war. You can't change history.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
I found a neat interview concerning the war:

According to post-war interviews with NVA generals, the North was ready to surrender after our bombing campaigns in 1972-73. However, due to the anti-war movement of people like Fonda meeting with the North, they realized that America was on the brink of defeat due to internal struggles, and pressed on until we fled. Had the anti-war movement not been so radical, we would have won.

It's the USA's own fault for not having a stricter control on the press. And they've learned from their mistakes and that's why they manipulated almost all citizens in the USA into believing Iraq was freed. Situation is still just as bad as when Saddam Hussein was in charge. USA also went to war accusing Iraq of having mass destruction weapons. Weapons which they didn't have. And they also tricked you into believing people were happy in Iraq after the fall of Saddam Hussein(the "fake" video of were the "people of Iraq" take down the statue of Saddam Hussein is a good example of that). 

Samus Aran said:
Scoobes said:
Samus Aran said:
FootballFan said:
Scoobes said:
FootballFan said:
Lostplanet22 said:
FootballFan said:
Lostplanet22 said:

Btw I remembered we learned the UK also treated to put pressure on the dollar something that is related during the Suez war when USA treated to put pressure on the £.

NO!

VICTORY
Britain and coalition forces invade and remove Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein from power.

I think the question was more "what did we win" than "when" we won. It got rid of Saddam Hussein, but that didn't mean much for the British people as he didn't have WMDs and there was no evidence that he was supporting terrorists. In fact, Saddam Hussein and Al Qaeda were polar opposites as to put it simply, Saddam Hussein disregarded religious rules as much as he disregarded life.

In the World Wars we won our freedom....therefore we succeeded and Germany was defeated.

Sorry but the U.K did not lost either of the worlds wars,yes its empire collapsed but they still won the fight.Also the US woudnt have got anywhere if it hadnbt been for Britian(and the commonwealth) and Russia.The U.K might have suffered but Germany suffered more.

"They will know heghan belongs to the helghast"

"England expects that everyman will do his duty"

"we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"

Samus Aran said:
Scoobes said:
Samus Aran said:
FootballFan said:
Scoobes said:
FootballFan said:
Lostplanet22 said:
FootballFan said:
Lostplanet22 said:

NO!

VICTORY

This is the exact opposite reasoning you've used in saying the US lost vietnam.   At the end of the day... it was nothing but bad for vietnam... and the US got what it wanted.

NKAJ said:
Samus Aran said:
Scoobes said:
Samus Aran said:
FootballFan said:
Scoobes said:
FootballFan said:
Lostplanet22 said:
FootballFan said:
Lostplanet22 said:

NO!

VICTORY

Sorry but the U.K did not lost either of the worlds wars,yes its empire collapsed but they still won the fight.Also the US woudnt have got anywhere if it hadnbt been for Britian(and the commonwealth) and Russia.The U.K might have suffered but Germany suffered more.

Its not the the people's fault or the soldier's fault that nobody gives the uk any respect for WW2. Its monty's fault. That guy was horrible. Couldn't get the armor off the beach. Couldn't come up with a plan worth shit (market Garden was his idea), couldn't get the corps to punch through to the british paratroopers fast enough.

NKAJ said:
Samus Aran said:
Scoobes said:
Samus Aran said:
FootballFan said:
Scoobes said:
FootballFan said:
Lostplanet22 said:
FootballFan said:
Lostplanet22 said:

NO!

VICTORY

Inversely, Russia and the UK would not of won WW2 without the US. You know, it was a 2-front war, and Britian was getting its collective rear-end handed to it by the Japanese in the Pacific. The Russians did virtually nothing until 1945.

Ultimately, WW2 was won by the allies because of all 3. Had one not participated, they would have had a much more difficult time at it - although I could imagine it being won if it was the US + USSR with Britian being neutral.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.