By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What makes a Final Fantasy game a Final Fantasy game?

You know what I may miss most from Final Fantasy games. (other then story and character development.)

Airships. Before Chocobo's Airships were THE defining characteristic of Final Fantasy games. Not the Star Wars Episode 1 type Airships of 12... but the ones that were basically naval ships with propellers.

There was just something so ridiculious looking about the Airship as it first rose up from the sands in FF1... but it became so common place and normal after a while. (aside from Big Whale.)

Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:
naznatips said:
Oh, and what makes a good FF game (VI, IX, IV, V) is:

Engaging plot, interesting characters with lots of character development, a fantasy setting, and great music.

What makes a crappy FF game (FFVII, FFVIII, FFX, FFXII) is:

Flashy graphics, dull (or poorly translated) plot, high production values, a sci-fi setting (X and XII excluded from this complaint), and awful characters and character development.

All else held constant, why do flashy graphics make a crappy FF game?

Why do they inherently make the game worse?

The focus on them causes the rest of the problems?  Also there was a lot of "lost" humor in the transition from the sprite based graphics that made the FF games what they were.  The over-emoting and bouncing all over the room the sprite based guys did were funny... while once it hit 3-D the over-emoting and spastic movements became annoying.

@Kasz216

Star wars Rules....lol

anyways

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million

darthdevidem said:
@Kasz216

Star wars Rules....lol

anyways

I loved episodes 5,6,

really liked 4

Thought 3 was good in action but crammed the character development in too small a frame and it really could of been 2 movies... he goes from slightly conflicted good guy to evil child killer at the flip of a switch.

Thought 2 was bad, but it had a good story was marred by horrible dialogue and acting. 

Hated episode 1 because I thought the Pod racing sucked... and I hate kids, and there was no reason for Darth Vader to have made C3PO as it was both random, and a stupid way to shoehorn him into the movie.  Also they made such a big deal about Darth Maul for him to go out like a punk so easy.

Kasz216 said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
naznatips said:

Engaging plot, interesting characters with lots of character development, a fantasy setting, and great music.

Flashy graphics, dull (or poorly translated) plot, high production values, a sci-fi setting (X and XII excluded from this complaint), and awful characters and character development.

The focus on them causes the rest of the problems?

How much have we heard about the FFXIII story?  Nothing?

How much have we heard about the main character?  It's Cloud but a chick.

How much have we seen about the graphics?  Everything they show is about the graphics. 

Around the Network
twesterm said:
Kasz216 said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
naznatips said:

How much have we heard about the FFXIII story? Nothing?

How much have we heard about the main character? It's Cloud but a chick.

How much have we seen about the graphics? Everything they show is about the graphics.

But then, is it really the graphics themselves that are the problem or the mindset of the developers who are focusing solely on them?

why the hate for gfx suddenly

I just do not understand this....

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million

Anyone know when Crisis Core hits America? ;-;

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

twesterm said:
Kasz216 said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
naznatips said:

How much have we heard about the FFXIII story?  Nothing?

How much have we heard about the main character?  It's Cloud but a chick.

How much have we seen about the graphics?  Everything they show is about the graphics. 

Also I never said that graphics alone are a bad thing.  I said it's part of what defines a bad FF game.  If graphics were bad, then FFIX wouldn't be on my list of good games.  It's on my list of good games because it has everything that defines a good FF game. Similarly, the bad FF games have all of those things (except for Sci-Fi in X and XII). Truthfully though the graphics complain itself could probably be removed, as that's just a problem with the developers who focus so much on them.

Words Of Wisdom said:
twesterm said:
Kasz216 said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
naznatips said:

How much have we heard about the FFXIII story? Nothing?

How much have we heard about the main character? It's Cloud but a chick.

How much have we seen about the graphics? Everything they show is about the graphics.

But then, is it really the graphics themselves that are the problem or the mindset of the developers who are focusing solely on them?

without a doubt the developers fault.  While I applaud them for focusing rather than spreading themselves out, it sucks that they're focusing on the wrong thing.

And yeah, I don't have a hate for graphics.