By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What makes a Final Fantasy game a Final Fantasy game?

Grimboyjr said:
Darc Requiem said:
Sakaguchi for the most part. Grimboyjr, FFVII the best Final Fantasy game!? Please don't get me started that awful game.
Dude that game was cool, as long as Sakaguichi was part of it, I have no problem. I like Blue Dragon alot so whats the problem? Huh big guy? Whats the problem? You got beef with me? j/k

No FFVII was just a terrible game. It had a terrible plot, the characters weren't very good outside of Vincent, the gameplay was awful. It was inferior in everyway to Final Fantasy VI. 

Around the Network

At this point? It uses a bunch of the same names for items and spells... and chocobos.

Up until they got all cyberpunk around 7 they used to have a decent amount of running themes that showed the different worlds were the same, even FF6 changed this up a bit.

Darc Requiem said:
Grimboyjr said:
Darc Requiem said:
Sakaguchi for the most part. Grimboyjr, FFVII the best Final Fantasy game!? Please don't get me started that awful game.
Dude that game was cool, as long as Sakaguichi was part of it, I have no problem. I like Blue Dragon alot so whats the problem? Huh big guy? Whats the problem? You got beef with me? j/k

No FFVII was just a terrible game. It had a terrible plot, the characters weren't very good outside of Vincent, the gameplay was awful. It was inferior in everyway to Final Fantasy VI.

See I actually really liked 7 :D I like 6 more I think, but 7 was pretty damn awesome. FF7 really gave me that epic kick in the ass which most rpg's really fail to do, and the materia system was friggin sweet! There were SO many combinations of stuff to mess with, definately had more depth than the system in FF6. 

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Grimboyjr said:
Storyline is what makes a Final Fantasy game

FF1-played before got turned off by story
FF2-ditto above
FF3-played the DS version, liked
FF4-never played
FF5-never played
FF6-never played
FF7-the best Final Fantasy in history
FF8-on par with FF7 but generally was rather bland
FF9-story was confusing and boring
FF10-Awesome story and truly engaging characters
FF11-boring MMO,
FF12-boring story and truly not so good characters

FF13-by the look of it, looks boring and the characters look bland. Gameplay is to be determined

No offense but you can't call FF7 the best Final Fantasy game in history without play 6.  If storyline is what you find important, 6 beats the rest of the Final Fantasy games in spades.

Kasz216 said:
Grimboyjr said:
Storyline is what makes a Final Fantasy game

FF1-played before got turned off by story
FF2-ditto above
FF3-played the DS version, liked
FF4-never played
FF5-never played
FF6-never played
FF8-on par with FF7 but generally was rather bland
FF9-story was confusing and boring
FF10-Awesome story and truly engaging characters
FF11-boring MMO,
FF12-boring story and truly not so good characters

FF13-by the look of it, looks boring and the characters look bland. Gameplay is to be determined

No offense but you can't call FF7 the best Final Fantasy game in history without play 6. If storyline is what you find important, 6 beats the rest of the Final Fantasy games in spades.

QFT, Story wise I loved that game, I do think it had too many cannon fodder type characters, but the ones that mattered were great. AND KEFKA!!! BEST VILLAIN EVER!!! I HATED HIM XD

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Around the Network
twesterm said:
Final-Fan said:
Grimboyjr said:
FF4-never played
FF5-never played
FF6-never played

Onyxmeth said:

Other than the name, what does a Final Fantasy game actually need to contain to be a game in the Final Fantasy continuum? Each one is so disjointed from the next that I feel Square could have plastered half of their other RPGs on with the name and called it the next FF. Most other RPG series follow some sort of universal universe that links them, or an actual storyline that links them. Final Fantasy doesn't follow a theme, a storyline, and recently, gameplay styles. Some have ties in medieval fantasy, others take place in sci-fi universes. Some are turn-based fighting, others are real-time. The gameplay gets an overhaul each new iteration whether something was working or not. So what to you makes a Final Fantasy game worthy of the name? Or is there nothing left to really connect them with?

End Note: This is not a discussion on whether FF games are great RPGs. I think each one i've played has been fantastic in their own ways.

Star Ocean Till The End Of Time for the battles, Final Fantasy for just about everything else?

For me it has to be the story...you know the type. World is doomed, main character trying to find his/her/it's self identity in a shitty world. Precieved overwhelming odds to fight against. I'm sure you get the idea.

Oh and not forgetting a all important moral to the story.  Help the weak, be good to the next being and all that...

Good to see this site is still going 

Oh, and what makes a good FF game (VI, IX, IV, V) is:

Engaging plot, interesting characters with lots of character development, a fantasy setting, and great music.

What makes a crappy FF game (FFVII, FFVIII, FFX, FFXII) is:

Flashy graphics, dull (or poorly translated) plot, high production values, a sci-fi setting (X and XII excluded from this complaint), and awful characters and character development.

naznatips said:

Engaging plot, interesting characters with lots of character development, a fantasy setting, and great music.

Flashy graphics, dull (or poorly translated) plot, high production values, a sci-fi setting (X and XII excluded from this complaint), and awful characters and character development.

I would kind of agree with that, however I found FFVII to be a good game, then again I loved Suikoden II. 

Dramas!

Good to see this site is still going 

naznatips said:

All else held constant, why do flashy graphics make a crappy FF game?

Why do they inherently make the game worse?