By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square Enix’s Nier Initially Was a 360 Exclusive

Ignore S-E their games are as crappy as their decisions this GEN.

Around the Network

And then, they stopped thinking like absolute anti-sales idiots (like they did most of this gen), and decided on a PS3 version...

Multiplatform is the way to go nowadays. As long as developer willing to put in time and effort to create something that is equal and great on all consoles. It may be a dream, but for sure one day it will comes true.

Garnett said:
Scoobes said:

1. Except that Microsoft paid heavily for advertising. Anyone that saw the game on TV would have no clue it was also on PS3. Then there is the fact that 360 has a much larger userbase than the PS3. Logic would suggest it would at least sell on par to the PS3 if not more. GTAIV was also seen as a Playstation franchise, yet the 360 version sold a lot more than the PS3 version.

2. SE wouldn't see all of that $60. And you also have to factor in the extra time and money spent on actually having to port the game for 360. I'm sure they made money, but it's not quite as rosy as you make out.

3. I don't doubt that as a MP title it's sold more than it would have done as an exclusive. However, had it remained exclusive, I'm also sure it would have sold more on PS3 than it has done (pushing PS3 hardware, multi-console owners forced to buy it on PS3). Thus, it's difficult to estimate quite how many extra sales/profit the 360 version actually brought in, especially when you factor in the extra time and money spent on porting (although admitedly the port was a relatively poor effort).

1. Still PS is the "home" for FF games, its amazing that the Xbox versio has sold so well.

2. Even if they got half of the 90 mill, thats enough to pay for developement cost for BOTH consoles.

3.I highly doubt that, there are only a few elitest PS fans (besides japan) that wouldnt buy FF because its mulitplatform. The hole pushing PS3 hardware isnt really in the average consumer eyes, they care about obvious things like graphics, you think the average person who only played the Xbox version of FF13 knows the PS3 version is slightly superior?

On 3.

I think you misread my point. I doubt anyone didn't buy FFXIII because it went multiplat. I was saying that a proportion who had 360s and not PS3s would have gone out a bought PS3s had it remained exclusive, and another portion who own both consoles would have been forced to buy the PS3 version (a number of people may have bought it on 360 over PS3 due to acheivements, controller preference etc.)

This is so typical. Se were going to make a great game as an exclusive 360, but then Sony pushes in and ruins it. The graphics would have been so much better and they probably removed tons of content. This game would have been much better as a 360 exclusive!!!

Around the Network

Whoever said GTA4 has sold as well as GTA San Andreas is crazy sure the numbers are not equal 18+ to 14+ million but when you consider 18 million divided by 120 million consoles 15% vs 14 divided by 75 million and you got 19%. Now did Square screw up with exclusives yes, all Microsoft exclusive should have been timed this would help get MS the boost they wanted in Japan and eventually allow Square to regain some sales by bringing it to PS3.

Scoobes said:
Garnett said:
Scoobes said:

1. Except that Microsoft paid heavily for advertising. Anyone that saw the game on TV would have no clue it was also on PS3. Then there is the fact that 360 has a much larger userbase than the PS3. Logic would suggest it would at least sell on par to the PS3 if not more. GTAIV was also seen as a Playstation franchise, yet the 360 version sold a lot more than the PS3 version.

2. SE wouldn't see all of that $60. And you also have to factor in the extra time and money spent on actually having to port the game for 360. I'm sure they made money, but it's not quite as rosy as you make out.

3. I don't doubt that as a MP title it's sold more than it would have done as an exclusive. However, had it remained exclusive, I'm also sure it would have sold more on PS3 than it has done (pushing PS3 hardware, multi-console owners forced to buy it on PS3). Thus, it's difficult to estimate quite how many extra sales/profit the 360 version actually brought in, especially when you factor in the extra time and money spent on porting (although admitedly the port was a relatively poor effort).

1. Still PS is the "home" for FF games, its amazing that the Xbox versio has sold so well.

2. Even if they got half of the 90 mill, thats enough to pay for developement cost for BOTH consoles.

3.I highly doubt that, there are only a few elitest PS fans (besides japan) that wouldnt buy FF because its mulitplatform. The hole pushing PS3 hardware isnt really in the average consumer eyes, they care about obvious things like graphics, you think the average person who only played the Xbox version of FF13 knows the PS3 version is slightly superior?

On 3.

I think you misread my point. I doubt anyone didn't buy FFXIII because it went multiplat. I was saying that a proportion who had 360s and not PS3s would have gone out a bought PS3s had it remained exclusive, and another portion who own both consoles would have been forced to buy the PS3 version (a number of people may have bought it on 360 over PS3 due to acheivements, controller preference etc.)

Oh ok, i see your point now. I highly doubt people would spend $300 on a system for one game, thats a total of $360 for ONE game, while if people wanted the game they would but it for the 360 cause its cheaper.

I still want to know why Last Remnant sold much, much better despite being exclusive and receiving horrible reviews.

Garnett said:
Scoobes said:
Garnett said:
Scoobes said:

On 3.

Oh ok, i see your point now. I highly doubt people would spend $300 on a system for one game, thats a total of $360 for ONE game, while if people wanted the game they would but it for the 360 cause its cheaper.

Maybe, but the last big Playstation franchise that was released exclusive was MGS4 and that did push hardware during release week. In fact, I remember a few nutty people who said that they bought the PS3/MGS4 bundle, then sold it all after completing the game.

Swordy said:

I still want to know why Last Remnant sold much, much better despite being exclusive and receiving horrible reviews.

Because pepole still gave a shit about Square at that point, NieR also looks like a very low budget game,

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.