By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square Enix’s Nier Initially Was a 360 Exclusive

meh. Don't give a damn whether Nier would've been a PS3 exclusive or a X360 exclusive. Game sucks and it's pretty much flopped.

Around the Network
kingofwale said:
NiKKoM said:
Lol.. first people are bitching about FF13 going mulitplatform.. and how it should stayed an exclusive.. and now they are bitching about Nier was to be an exclusive and thank god it went mulitplatform...

Anyway.. it's a Cavia game.. they haven't made any PS3 game before but they did some 360 games... so it's not strange they targeted the 360.. they probably got some help from SE to get it on the PS3..

the key word is... Does it grow the brand???

I bring the example of GTA4. which clearly is a great move going multi. Since it sold much better.

but with SE. is it worth the extra effort and manpower and delay to gain the what? 1 and half million xbox sales LT???

And more ridiculously, is it really worth the cash to bring many and many of its title as time xbox exclusive?

Yes, you do get cash up front, but are you growing your brand? To me, the answer is no.

look no further than SE's profit

The Game released 2 months ago and the game released on 2 different platforms, one of them being "home" for Final Fantasy series, while the other one not. I say it did damn well with 1.32 million sold, you better believe it will reach 2 million.

2 Million times $60 is alot of money,  thats 90 million dollars on 360 alone, the 360 sales ALONE paid for the developement cost and even a little extra.

Im  not arguing that the game should be exclusive to Xbox but dont act like Xbox version 10,000 copies at $10 a pop while the PS3 version sold 100 million.

As for growing the brand, there are people that would love to play FF13 but they dont want to spend $300 on a console for one game, so yes the Multiplatform is actually helping the game, just like GTA 4.

Garnett said:
kingofwale said:
NiKKoM said:
Lol.. first people are bitching about FF13 going mulitplatform.. and how it should stayed an exclusive.. and now they are bitching about Nier was to be an exclusive and thank god it went mulitplatform...

Anyway.. it's a Cavia game.. they haven't made any PS3 game before but they did some 360 games... so it's not strange they targeted the 360.. they probably got some help from SE to get it on the PS3..

I bring the example of GTA4. which clearly is a great move going multi. Since it sold much better.

but with SE. is it worth the extra effort and manpower and delay to gain the what? 1 and half million xbox sales LT???

And more ridiculously, is it really worth the cash to bring many and many of its title as time xbox exclusive?

Yes, you do get cash up front, but are you growing your brand? To me, the answer is no.

1. The Game released 2 months ago and the game released on 2 different platforms, one of them being "home" for Final Fantasy series, while the other one not. I say it did damn well with 1.32 million sold, you better believe it will reach 2 million.

2. 2 Million times $60 is alot of money,  thats 90 million dollars on 360 alone, the 360 sales ALONE paid for the developement cost and even a little extra.

Im  not arguing that the game should be exclusive to Xbox but dont act like Xbox version 10,000 copies at $10 a pop while the PS3 version sold 100 million.

3. As for growing the brand, there are people that would love to play FF13 but they dont want to spend $300 on a console for one game, so yes the Multiplatform is actually helping the game, just like GTA 4.

1. Except that Microsoft paid heavily for advertising. Anyone that saw the game on TV would have no clue it was also on PS3. Then there is the fact that 360 has a much larger userbase than the PS3. Logic would suggest it would at least sell on par to the PS3 if not more. GTAIV was also seen as a Playstation franchise, yet the 360 version sold a lot more than the PS3 version.

2. SE wouldn't see all of that $60. And you also have to factor in the extra time and money spent on actually having to port the game for 360. I'm sure they made money, but it's not quite as rosy as you make out.

3. I don't doubt that as a MP title it's sold more than it would have done as an exclusive. However, had it remained exclusive, I'm also sure it would have sold more on PS3 than it has done (pushing PS3 hardware, multi-console owners forced to buy it on PS3). Thus, it's difficult to estimate quite how many extra sales/profit the 360 version actually brought in, especially when you factor in the extra time and money spent on porting (although admitedly the port was a relatively poor effort).

i think they wanted to do this until some emotionally disturbed model designer decided not to have all the characters machoheads so he made the other supposed to be male character a female (and didn't bother with changing the script/storyline) , then japanese people liked the idea and square decided, "hey maybe it will sell on that fail other system ... what was it called again?"

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

The Xbox Man said:
kingofwale said:
NiKKoM said:

Last time I checked GTA4 sold less than GTA:SA.

Last time I checked FF13 is on its way to sell much more than FF12 & be one of the most successful (possibly outselling FF7 in europe) Final Fantasie's in the west (where it was multiplat).

No you sound ridiculous, you PS3 fans spent the majority of last week saying how multiplat games sell less than exclusive ones, now your moving goalposts hahaha.

You see the difference here is, for the games that SE makes, it's borderline RETARDED to make 360 exclusives. These games target Japan, and if they're exclusive to the 360, even if the game sold at 100% attachment in Japan (which would never happen), that'd only equal a little over a million sales. SE is basically shunning their own audience by continually placing their games exclusively on a console that no one wants in Japan. 

Around the Network
Scoobes said:
Garnett said:
kingofwale said:
NiKKoM said:

1. The Game released 2 months ago and the game released on 2 different platforms, one of them being "home" for Final Fantasy series, while the other one not. I say it did damn well with 1.32 million sold, you better believe it will reach 2 million.

2. 2 Million times $60 is alot of money,  thats 90 million dollars on 360 alone, the 360 sales ALONE paid for the developement cost and even a little extra.

3. As for growing the brand, there are people that would love to play FF13 but they dont want to spend $300 on a console for one game, so yes the Multiplatform is actually helping the game, just like GTA 4.

1. Except that Microsoft paid heavily for advertising. Anyone that saw the game on TV would have no clue it was also on PS3. Then there is the fact that 360 has a much larger userbase than the PS3. Logic would suggest it would at least sell on par to the PS3 if not more. GTAIV was also seen as a Playstation franchise, yet the 360 version sold a lot more than the PS3 version.

2. SE wouldn't see all of that $60. And you also have to factor in the extra time and money spent on actually having to port the game for 360. I'm sure they made money, but it's not quite as rosy as you make out.

3. I don't doubt that as a MP title it's sold more than it would have done as an exclusive. However, had it remained exclusive, I'm also sure it would have sold more on PS3 than it has done (pushing PS3 hardware, multi-console owners forced to buy it on PS3). Thus, it's difficult to estimate quite how many extra sales/profit the 360 version actually brought in, especially when you factor in the extra time and money spent on porting (although admitedly the port was a relatively poor effort).

1. Still PS is the "home" for FF games, its amazing that the Xbox versio has sold so well.

2. Even if they got half of the 90 mill, thats enough to pay for developement cost for BOTH consoles.

3.I highly doubt that, there are only a few elitest PS fans (besides japan) that wouldnt buy FF because its mulitplatform. The hole pushing PS3 hardware isnt really in the average consumer eyes, they care about obvious things like graphics, you think the average person who only played the Xbox version of FF13 knows the PS3 version is slightly superior?

Too many Japanese devs backed the 360.  It really was a collasal mistake.  Square take the cake though.  Their gamble on 360 was a miserable failure.  I'm not saying they shouldn't release the games on 360, they should.  The should have launched all of those 360 exclusive RPG's on PS3 at the same time.  They would have made a lot more money IMO.

drakesfortune said:

Too many Japanese devs backed the 360.  It really was a collasal mistake.  Square take the cake though.  Their gamble on 360 was a miserable failure.  I'm not saying they shouldn't release the games on 360, they should.  The should have launched all of those 360 exclusive RPG's on PS3 at the same time.  They would have made a lot more money IMO.

you really don't believe that square didn't know this from the start?  Obviously they aren't gonna sell more on 360, MS bought them off.  Perhaps MS didn't want to pay for this one once they saw how it wasn't gonna be very good.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

kingofwale said:
NiKKoM said:

Please please please tell me your joking? 1.5 million sales is fantastic for any game. Yeah ok FF13 didnt sell into the uber level on either PS3 or 360, but no company is gonna be sad about 1 mill+ sales. That is very good growth for any franchise, even if the series has spiralled downward.

radha said:
The Xbox Man said:
kingofwale said:
The Xbox Man said:
kingofwale said:
NiKKoM said:

Last time I checked GTA4 sold less than GTA:SA.

Last time I checked FF13 is on its way to sell much more than FF12 & be one of the most successful (possibly outselling FF7 in europe) Final Fantasie's in the west (where it was multiplat).

No you sound ridiculous, you PS3 fans spent the majority of last week saying how multiplat games sell less than exclusive ones, now your moving goalposts hahaha.

last time I checked, FF13 going multiplaform did not come close to achieve the effect as GTA4 going multi.

Sadly, FF13's success has more to do with the recent explosion of PS3 sales than anything xbox contributed. Frankly, if the game HAD been exclusive, with less privacy, SE would be making more money. What's the latest download torrent for FF13??? 2.1 million?

But more critical mistakes by SE is making some games time exclusive (or exclusive all together) for xbox.

What effect are you looking for? GTA4 isn't selling as well as the previous GTA which is San Andreas

FF13 in the west (where its multi) has already outsold the previous Final Fantasy (12) & is on its way to reach FF8/FF10 level sales, in europe FF7 level sales. Is that not an effect? Is the xbox not contributing there? Is it just the PS3 thats helped it reach that number? The region where FF13 is exclusive is where it has underperformed.

Torrents don't matter since people who get games of torrents don't usually buy them.

The Xbox Man this is your first FF you have no idea what was lost trying to please the western market, just look at how the game did in japan.

Ill put in perspective, people that buy a JRPG is like people that go from US to the caribeans, they want to feel the sun, eat native food, dance to native music, when a true JRPG fan buys a JRPG is because it want the traditional JRPG elements in his game. Now if you go to a vacation in the caribeans and end up listening to rock music, eating mcdonalds and in a office you dont feel like you had a vacation at all, you feel like you didnt get out of your country. Based on this analogy FF was succesful game if you wanted a western game coming from japan, but it was a complete fail if you wanted a japanese RPG coming from japan.

OT:

Square has their eyes set on the western market and they think the 360 is the way to get it, also M$ has their eyes set on japanesse market and thinks that square is the way to get it

Your talking absolute utter BS. As a long serving fan of FF. ( I started with FF2 on Nes ) The series started losing it's roots in PS2 days. It has nothing to do with the 360. In fact FF13 was about 70% on PS3 before 360 even had a code. LOL

Dont be a blind fanboy.