By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Alan wake Review. Selnor

coolbeans said:
Why not just post your review on the VGC user part? I don't see the reason in people typing their reviews on the forums that will just go away in a day or two.

This is Selnor, it'll be here for over a week at least!

Good review detailing YOUR opinion Selnor, glad you haven't been disappointed.

Around the Network

10/10? well i was expecting that score coming from a review of selnor based on an Xbox 360 exclusive (no offense). the game is very good, his story keeps you playing hours and is becoming more interesting. I think that 9 / 10 would be a fair score IMO.

BTW good review, but certain things are a bit exaggerated

Selnor, I'm intending for this to be constructive criticism so please take it that way but if i was trying to decide whether or not to purchase this game I would not be basing my decision on your review.

This is nothing against the game or your review (which may well be a good quality review), but with the sheer number of threads you've created about this game prior to it's release I would have little to no confidence that I would be reading an impartial assessment of the game.

I'm surprised selnor didn't write "Best graphics ever" because if he did, he could then he could add to this thread.
http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=107492

All bow to me the VGChartz current reigning 3DS prediction champion 

Bet with tbone51: Pokeon X & pokemon Y will not sell more than 8 million in 2013

jarrod said:The Xbox360 or ps3 will not sell more than 75million units

July 2009 daveJ saidTrue the wii has a large lead now but by 2017 the most likely result will be 1. ps3 2. xbox360 3. wii <-- wii's successor launched in 2011 effectively killing sales of the wii

2009 daveJ said: The wii will not break the 50% marketshare barrier it will go below the 40% marketshare barrier though in the future. VGChartz members: Impossible, youre an idiot that knows nothing about sales

Haven't finished it yet. Only played a couple of hours.

So far.

Gameplay mechanics with light and dodging is fun.

Nice atmosphere but not scary at all.

Decent dialogue and voice overs but not spectacular. I think max pain had better writing (or maybe my standards were just lower all those years ago?).

Great lighting and overall graphics.

Stiff facial expressions however.

7.5 out of 10 so far. Good effort. However this is a work in progress since I haven't finished (or am anywhere near finished) the game. Take this score with a grain of salt, but so far its trying too hard to feel like a thriller movie and it utterly fails in that regard. Memento this is not.

Around the Network

I`m really enjoying the game so far, its has exceeded my expectations by a significant margin and all the fanboys attacking Selnor can kiss my shiny metal arse :P

Torillian said:
selnor said:
Badassbab said:
Hello everyone. Got Alan Wake last week and played it last night. On Chapter 3 so far.

Ok technically speaking-

Finally played Alan Wake on my downstairs TV screen (100hz as well as HD) and I have to say it's definately one of the best looking games this gen on console but it has a number of flaws that really need fixing. First is character animation is somewhat lacking as is the facial expressions and the lip synching is bad. Also it's a shame it's low res but I guess thats the price to pay for the tons of technical effects employed such as 4xMSAA and antistropic filtering, massive draw distance and the light sourcing is just sublime.

Right more importantly how is the gamplay and overall story and it's delivery-

Let's just say I'm slightly disappointed. Having played Half Life 2, Bioshock and Uncharted, Alan Wake believe it or not feels a bit amateurish and rushed. Some of the dialogue is downright cringy and the story feels like a throwback to old dated Stephen King novels but even then not as well written. The gameplay isn't bad and is fairly enjoyable but I hope it introduces more variety as the game progresses. I haven't come across any well thought out set pieces and clever puzzles yet. The atmosphere is tense and I recommend playing this at night time with lights off, sound up for maximum effect.

I am enjoying this game though and I'm glad I bought it. I trust it will get better. Also I'm excited about the future downloadable episodic content so it definately has some replay value as long as your prepared to pay for it!

Highlighted. Here is the problem though. You cant compare different genres. In terms of Resi or Silent Hill Alan Wake is leagues ahead. You wouldnt compare Forza 3 to Killzone would you?

As far as gameplay I might agree with you about comparing within the genre (though Alan Wake is almost too actiony to even count in suvival horror) but he was also comparing them in dialogue and general story which is perfectly fine to compare across genres.

Absolutely.  Narrative and writing is compared across both film and literature genres and I see no reason for any difference with games.  Comparing AW narrative and writing to, say Uncharted 2, I'd argue is actually an obvious comparison to make.

As for horror, AW is fun as a thriller but I'd struggle to accept it being leagues ahead of Silent Hill for horror.  I certainly found it nothing compared to the genuine horror found in Silent Hill 2.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

PakChiuCheng said:
Every Xbox 360 exclusive will get 10/10 by Selnor.

if its selnor then yeah for sure

i agree with the score u gave it selnor. also why is everyone bashing his opinion, thats right his opinion. ppl can give their opinion, without bashing someone elses point of view u know. anyways love the game and cant wait for more from the alan wake universe.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

Good review and I have to agree with most of it.

My favorite scenes were the rock scene and just after escaping the mental clinic. The posessed mansion looked sooo damn evil.