By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Alan wake Review. Selnor

CGI-Quality said:
I think some of you guys ARE being a tad out of line. This is an instance where, yes there's some stuff that I don't agree with in there, selnor hasn't intended any backlash. Some of you are just using the opportunity to bash and thrash him, and it's not justified right now.

I agree 100%, if you don't like the guys opinion just don't enter his threads.

Around the Network
slowmo said:
CGI-Quality said:
I think some of you guys ARE being a tad out of line. This is an instance where, yes there's some stuff that I don't agree with in there, selnor hasn't intended any backlash. Some of you are just using the opportunity to bash and thrash him, and it's not justified right now.

If you don't want people to give their opinion of a review then stop creating threads about game reviews. Why write a review if you are afraid of what people will say about your review?  A review for someone who I already knew would give the game a 10/10 doesn't have much value to me. I see nothing wrong pointing this out. This is reason why I don't put much faith in gamers review like at Amazon as you get  too many 5/5 amd 1/5 scores.

Then criticise the review not the reviewer.
People here are using the review to attack the OP. that's what some of us don't like not the fact one person has an opinion.

CGI-Quality said:
Lord Flashheart said:
Then criticise the review not the reviewer.
People here are using the review to attack the OP. that's what some of us don't like not the fact one person has an opinion.

Exactly.

Thanks. Alot of people here sa I give perfect scores to any 360 game? This is the only review Ive ever posted on VGChartz for a 360 game that I gave a perfect score. But I guess they never read my other reviews. I just genuinely loved the game through and through. :)

If you didn't want people commenting on you and not the review why put the review up on the forums instead of the game reviews page?

Around the Network
Smidlee said:
slowmo said:
CGI-Quality said:

If you don't want people to give their opinion of a review then stop creating threads about game reviews. Why write a review if you are afraid of what people will say about your review?  A review for someone who I already knew would give the game a 10/10 doesn't have much value to me. I see nothing wrong pointing this out. This is reason why I don't put much faith in gamers review like at Amazon as you get  too many 5/5 amd 1/5 scores.

See the posts above, very few of you criticizing him are doing so for the content of the review, just the score and who he is.

slowmo said:
Smidlee said:
slowmo said:
CGI-Quality said:

See the posts above, very few of you criticizing him are doing so for the content of the review, just the score and who he is.

A review is for those who haven't bought the game yet or am I missing something. If a reviewer has a strong bias then that effects how helpful and creditable a review is. It's nothing personal it just a pattern found in Selnor's reviews. Some have help the review to be more  creditable (more down to earth) like Reasonable post.

Smidlee said:
slowmo said:
Smidlee said:
slowmo said:
CGI-Quality said:

A review is for those who haven't bought the game yet or am I missing something. If a reviewer has a strong bias then that effects how helpful and creditable a review is. It's nothing personal it just a pattern found in Selnor's reviews. Some have help the review to be more  creditable (more down to earth) like Reasonable post.

A review is a personal opinion, its impossible to be truly subjective for any review even if thats your goal.  There are other people that will share Selnors traits as a gamer who will find his review useful.  Do you seriously know anyone who takes one user review as gospel to buy in the internet review era?  The more reviews the better, everyone is different so as many opinions as possible is always better than fewer "generic unoffensive" reviews. 

slowmo said:
Smidlee said:
slowmo said:
Smidlee said:
slowmo said:
CGI-Quality said:

A review is a personal opinion, its impossible to be truly subjective for any review even if thats your goal.  There are other people that will share Selnors traits as a gamer who will find his review useful.  Do you seriously know anyone who takes one user review as gospel to buy in the internet review era?  The more reviews the better, everyone is different so as many opinions as possible is always better than fewer "generic unoffensive" reviews. 

A review is an opinion, but ideally good reviews are both informed opinions - i.e. by someone with above average knowledge or understanding of what's being reviewed - and it should also ideally be as free from bias as the reviewer can manage.

With that being said, free fan reviews should always be taken as such - more of a pure opinion than anything close to a professional review - and I do think people shouldn't be critical of Selnor for offering up just such as review in this case.  He clearly loved the game warts and all and said 10/10 in his view.

By posting it he's inviting other opinions, which is why I posted my view which was a tad harsher but still positive, but nobody should be attacking him personally.  Either a counterview or a question on elements of his review is the way to go.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Reasonable said:
slowmo said:
Smidlee said:
slowmo said:
Smidlee said:
slowmo said:
CGI-Quality said:

A review is an opinion, but ideally good reviews are both informed opinions - i.e. by someone with above average knowledge or understanding of what's being reviewed - and it should also ideally be as free from bias as the reviewer can manage.

With that being said, free fan reviews should always be taken as such - more of a pure opinion than anything close to a professional review - and I do think people shouldn't be critical of Selnor for offering up just such as review in this case.  He clearly loved the game warts and all and said 10/10 in his view.

By posting it he's inviting other opinions, which is why I posted my view which was a tad harsher but still positive, but nobody should be attacking him personally.  Either a counterview or a question on elements of his review is the way to go.

I agree with your post and in particular the bolded.