By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Alan wake Review. Selnor

I think people are too harsh on Selnor. I like his personality and this was a decent review.

Around the Network

Thanks for many people enjoying my review. I do have some criticisms of the game. ( Dodgy lip syncing, couple of animations, and a few glitches ). But it just wasnt enough to hamper the experience I had. To me at least the experience I got from AW was better than ME2 or Halo 3 for example. Better than Geow or Geow 2. So with that in mind I have no choice but to award it as my fave game this gen and a 10 score.

To answer a few questions I have seen in certain posts.

Does the game scare you.

Dont think of Alan Wake as a jumpy type scare game. It is alot deeper than cheap scares. The entire game is designed around tension. Sometimes you think something will happen and it doesn't. It puts you on the edge and leaves you not knowing whether or not it will tip you over or was just playing with you. If anything Alan Wake is very much in line with the physcholigical claim Remedy have given the game. More often than not, it will be your head messing with yourself that creates the tension. It's through the clever atmosphere that it does this. You wont find another game quite scripted in this way out there.

Also the twist at the end of Episode 5 is just amazing. Anyone who has played through the game will know what I mean. IT is just a pure genius script and plot.

Great review.....Now Im kind of bummed for not getting it over Red Dead
Defenitely have to pick it up later......Im real glade you enjoyed the game

Best Review EVER... why isn't this guy staff? ¬_¬

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence

Was it just me, or was there a lot of screen tearing at the start of episode 4?

Unicorns ARE real - They are just fat, grey and called Rhinos

Around the Network

Hello everyone. Got Alan Wake last week and played it last night. On Chapter 3 so far.

Ok technically speaking-

Finally played Alan Wake on my downstairs TV screen (100hz as well as HD) and I have to say it's definately one of the best looking games this gen on console but it has a number of flaws that really need fixing. First is character animation is somewhat lacking as is the facial expressions and the lip synching is bad. Also it's a shame it's low res but I guess thats the price to pay for the tons of technical effects employed such as 4xMSAA and antistropic filtering, massive draw distance and the light sourcing is just sublime.

Right more importantly how is the gamplay and overall story and it's delivery-

Let's just say I'm slightly disappointed. Having played Half Life 2, Bioshock and Uncharted, Alan Wake believe it or not feels a bit amateurish and rushed. Some of the dialogue is downright cringy and the story feels like a throwback to old dated Stephen King novels but even then not as well written. The gameplay isn't bad and is fairly enjoyable but I hope it introduces more variety as the game progresses. I haven't come across any well thought out set pieces and clever puzzles yet. The atmosphere is tense and I recommend playing this at night time with lights off, sound up for maximum effect.

I am enjoying this game though and I'm glad I bought it. I trust it will get better. Also I'm excited about the future downloadable episodic content so it definately has some replay value as long as your prepared to pay for it!

Badassbab said:
Hello everyone. Got Alan Wake last week and played it last night. On Chapter 3 so far.

Ok technically speaking-

Finally played Alan Wake on my downstairs TV screen (100hz as well as HD) and I have to say it's definately one of the best looking games this gen on console but it has a number of flaws that really need fixing. First is character animation is somewhat lacking as is the facial expressions and the lip synching is bad. Also it's a shame it's low res but I guess thats the price to pay for the tons of technical effects employed such as 4xMSAA and antistropic filtering, massive draw distance and the light sourcing is just sublime.

Let's just say I'm slightly disappointed. Having played Half Life 2, Bioshock and Uncharted, Alan Wake believe it or not feels a bit amateurish and rushed. Some of the dialogue is downright cringy and the story feels like a throwback to old dated Stephen King novels but even then not as well written. The gameplay isn't bad and is fairly enjoyable but I hope it introduces more variety as the game progresses. I haven't come across any well thought out set pieces and clever puzzles yet. The atmosphere is tense and I recommend playing this at night time with lights off, sound up for maximum effect.

I am enjoying this game though and I'm glad I bought it. I trust it will get better. Also I'm excited about the future downloadable episodic content so it definately has some replay value as long as your prepared to pay for it!

Highlighted. Here is the problem though. You cant compare different genres. In terms of Resi or Silent Hill Alan Wake is leagues ahead. You wouldnt compare Forza 3 to Killzone would you?

I"ll probably get this game later,I just have to many other games on my plate. I have the habit of buying more games than I can possibly play at one given time. I'll more than likely get the game though.

Good game imo. But is still far away from the best what RE and SH has to offer.

selnor said:
Badassbab said:

Ok technically speaking-

Highlighted. Here is the problem though. You cant compare different genres. In terms of Resi or Silent Hill Alan Wake is leagues ahead. You wouldnt compare Forza 3 to Killzone would you?

As far as gameplay I might agree with you about comparing within the genre (though Alan Wake is almost too actiony to even count in suvival horror) but he was also comparing them in dialogue and general story which is perfectly fine to compare across genres.