By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Alan wake Review. Selnor

selnor said:
Booh! said:
selnor said:

There is no game out that shows this many individual different dahdows ( And all shadows are of a massively high res ) all while you can see 2km in any distance. Your in a field. Trees cast shadows from the fireworks, cahracters cast shadows. But all while each individual firework is a light source.

You're the only one who says this, the only one.... sigh

http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/1/0/8/6/3/6/1/DynamicShadows_001.jpg.jpg

http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/1/0/8/6/3/6/1/DynamicShadows_000.jpg.jpg

Obviously being pathetic is just stupid. Dont bother posting if you can do nothing but ruin another 360 thread.

Of course there are glitches. Every game has some. Pathetic.

Those are not glitches, that's just the resolution of the dynamic shadows in AW. The fact that you can't tell a pre-baked shadow from a dynamic shadow doesn't mean that shadows in AW are high res, in fact they are not. Such low res stuff works well in poorly lit, open areas, like the woods, in fact 90% of the reviews i read agree on the fact that daylight scenes are quite average, visually speaking. I'm ok with hyperbolic statements, but saying "There is no game out that shows this many individual different dahdows ( And all shadows are of a massively high res )" is too similar to bad advertising to be just a rhetoric expression: "there is no game out", out where? on all gaming platform? on consoles? just on xbox?, "all shadows are of a massively high res", the game itself is 540p and effects are usually at lower (like in this case btw) res than the geomerty resolution, so sub-540p.

I'm sorry if I sound pathetic to you, but I don't think that pointing out what's obvious (that is, those shadows are not high res by miles) is a mischievous act. For sure it's not misleading.

Around the Network

In my honest opinion mine sweeper is 10/10 game, togather with solitaire, tons of repleyability, crisp graphics that scale with your resolution.

So respect selnor's 10/10 score, he is just stating his opinion (no matter how flawed, or different it is from yours).

MY HYPE LIST: 1) Gran Turismo 5; 2) Civilization V; 3) Starcraft II; 4) The Last Guardian; 5) Metal Gear Solid: Rising

i'd give all my favorite games 10/10, because they're my favorite , why don't you guys give selnor a break?

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

JerCotter7 said:
Wow so first selnor admits he was wrong about the graphics and people attack him. Now he made a complete thread without comparing to PS3 games, well at least not "it has a better story than UC2" or "the lighting is better than KZ2" and people continue to attack him. People here really gotta grow up.

I think "attacking" is a bit extreme.  Everything I've seen so far has been friendly teasing.  Don't take things so seriously.

I didn't expect any other score, but I do have one question:

Is it very scary? Do things jump out at you, or is just creepy.... I am not a big fan of horror games, but I like the sound of the story, and it does seem like a well crafted game

Around the Network

Well i am glad you like the game and not a bad review.

My only quam is you got to leave things room to grow. This is a new ip it rarely are they perfect. Its Alan Wake 2 thats going to be the really exciting one when they fix the mistakes and expand on everything that takes place in the 1st. Give Alan some constructive criticism it wont mean you love the game any less.

EVERY GAMERS WORST NIGHTMARE...THE TANGLING CABLES MONSTER!

Coffee is for closers!

Severance said:
i'd give all my favorite games 10/10, because they're my favorite , why don't you guys give selnor a break?

I don't even give my favorite games 10/10.. why? .. because I hope that there will be better ones

I haven't read enough of selnor's reviews to put this one into perspective. Some people give out a lot of 10's to their favorite games, others don't, no reason to crucify him just because he gave AW a 10. Then there's the whole scale thing, if selnor goes by a .1 scale (stupidest scale ever), .5 scale, or a 1.0 scale, then the meaning of his final score changes as well.

Overall a pretty good written review, albeit one that I'd still take with a grain of salt.

Anyone have any developer diary info about how many light sources Alan Wake can render at once? I'm really curious.

Currently playing: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, NBA2k11, Metal Gear Solid, Picross 3d

Selnor, are you saying that Alan Wake is better than Mass Effect 2 and Gears of War 2?
So Alan Wake with a score 83/100 is THE best game on Xbox 360???
Selnor you just don't make any sense...

PS3 Fans at least claim that their best game is the one with a score 96/100!

Lafiel said:
Severance said:

I don't even give my favorite games 10/10.. why? .. because I hope that there will be better ones

its a 10/10 until a better game comes out.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.