By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Was Blu Ray a mistake?

Alas but I feel as if my words fall unheeded to the ears of the fleeting masses.

Blu ray and HD-DVD are in competition with each other. Not with DVD. If you do not have an HD TV then why would you throw in your two cents about this. These formats are not in battle to see what will be the "current" dominate format but it is a battle to see what the next dominate format will be. It started a while back if you have not noticed. The majority of stores in my area do "NOT" sell standard definition TV's anymore. No matter whether or not you feel you need HD eventually the market is going to be pushed that way. And I quite frankly believe that anyone who says they cannot see a difference between dvd and a next gen format on a hd tv, is either lying or blind. 

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

Around the Network
PS360N64PSXBOX said:
FishyJoe said:
That's a good point. DVD was not only a higher quality format than VHS it was replacing, but it was also faster and cheaper to produce than VHS. You simply can't stamp out millions of VHS tapes in a day, whereas a DVD factory can pump them out like nobodys business for pennies. In addition, dvd features could be exploited by 100% of all televisions. While blu-ray is higher quality than DVD, it doesn't hold the same advantages that DVD did over VHS.

It's still selling anyway. BluRay has already outsold HD-DVD.

You're missing the point. Blu-ray vs HD-DVD is only the first battle. You also have to contend with On Demand cable, which is poised to steal much of the fixed media business. And if consumers don't upgrade quickly, newer technologies could come along that could supplant Blu-ray or HD-DVD, much like laser disc failed to gain traction even though it won the laser vs RCA disc battle. Because laser disc never gained popularity quickly enough, DVD came along and made laser disc completely obsolete.

staticneuron said:

Alas but I feel as if my words fall unheeded to the ears of the fleeting masses

I feel your pain, brother!

@ FishyJoe

There won't be any superior technology to BD anytime soon. It's not that easy you know. You can't just say lets make a 1 TB optical disc and start to develop. More important Hollywood decided what is the future data carrier. You can hate Sony but it will change nothing. BD is an obvious winner. Even with HDDVD/BD players on the market still most movies will be on BD exclusively. In two years everyone will own HDTV and BD player. 

i don't know how this thread turned from me saying that Sony should have had a cheaper non-blu ray option on its PS3 into a full fledged Blu Ray vs. HD-DVD vs. DVD war. Its now spread through 3 threads now... sheeesh

Around the Network
kber81 said:

@ FishyJoe

There won't be any superior technology to BD anytime soon. It's not that easy you know. You can't just say lets make a 1 TB optical disc and start to develop. More important Hollywood decided what is the future data carrier. You can hate Sony but it will change nothing. BD is an obvious winner. Even with HDDVD/BD players on the market still most movies will be on BD exclusively. In two years everyone will own HDTV and BD player. 

There is already one in development that bdbdbd mentioned HVD it will contain up to a max of 3.9 TB of space.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_Versatile_Disc

Although its probably at least a decade before we can use this if it kicks off.

That Guy said:
i don't know how this thread turned from me saying that Sony should have had a cheaper non-blu ray option on its PS3 into a full fledged Blu Ray vs. HD-DVD vs. DVD war. Its now spread through 3 threads now... sheeesh

if there was a non Br version, having a Br would have been pointless.

they way it is, means every game will be able to take advantage of the space.

look at 360, most have hard drives but devs have to make games for the lowest version.

no, sony did'nt make a mistake.....it did'nt make any sense a ps3 without BR, metal gear solid 4 on 10 dvd would be sad, dont you think?

PLAYSTATION®3

If sony made the bluray and the ps3 seperate like microsoft did with the 360 and hddvd then they might of had more success in their gaming division but the bluray would of probably lost the format war without much of a fight, and putting bluray gave the format a fighting chance and also gave them a good format to have their games on, its just a matter of waiting to see if they can price it low enough in the next years to make the ps3 a worthy competitor in the console wars, imo the price is the only thing keeping it from success. With a lower price people who like the tradional style gaming would buy ps3's and those who like the new way of playing on the wii would buy that, and many would buy both. Lets just see if they can pull it off.

How many 360 games have required more than one DVD? No reason to expect anything different had the PS3 shipped with just DVD. Also, if they're going to make a hard-drive standard that makes de-compressing data to the HD an option for developers.