By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Was Blu Ray a mistake?

staticneuron said:

Alas but I feel as if my words fall unheeded to the ears of the fleeting masses.

Blu ray and HD-DVD are in competition with each other. Not with DVD. If you do not have an HD TV then why would you throw in your two cents about this. These formats are not in battle to see what will be the "current" dominate format but it is a battle to see what the next dominate format will be. It started a while back if you have not noticed. The majority of stores in my area do "NOT" sell standard definition TV's anymore. No matter whether or not you feel you need HD eventually the market is going to be pushed that way. And I quite frankly believe that anyone who says they cannot see a difference between dvd and a next gen format on a hd tv, is either lying or blind. 

Actuly I think the HD format is in war against the standard DVD if the transition takes to long time, or no clear winner is coming. If the price for making HD-movies is so high that it won't be financiel sense to make them because of poor sales. The transition might end. Of course I do belive that one of the format will take over, and that for the moment BR has the biggest chanse, I also belive that many of us will wait untill we have a clear winner and when we can start renting HD-movies.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

Around the Network
stewacide said:
How many 360 games have required more than one DVD? No reason to expect anything different had the PS3 shipped with just DVD. Also, if they're going to make a hard-drive standard that makes de-compressing data to the HD an option for developers.

Thats a good point. I'd like to know what games take up an entire DVD. Also, a game that spans 3 or 4 DVD's would be the exception, and not the rule. It wouldn't be the end of the world either, since an extra DVD would be like 10 cents extra to make.

stewacide said:
How many 360 games have required more than one DVD? No reason to expect anything different had the PS3 shipped with just DVD. Also, if they're going to make a hard-drive standard that makes de-compressing data to the HD an option for developers.

NOT all 360 have a hd, so its not much of a option for the devs.

I say it still is. If it didn't have a HD, then the load times would be slower. That's all it would be.

Most games are now in the 3-6GB range. With the PS3 out, and the 360 starting to move into true HD range stuff, new steaming textures like on Gears, in 3-4 years I would expect most 360 games to be on multi DVD, and quite a few Wii games on multi-disc as well. (just not most)

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network
torfred said:
kber81 said:

@ FishyJoe

There won't be any superior technology to BD anytime soon. It's not that easy you know. You can't just say lets make a 1 TB optical disc and start to develop. More important Hollywood decided what is the future data carrier. You can hate Sony but it will change nothing. BD is an obvious winner. Even with HDDVD/BD players on the market still most movies will be on BD exclusively. In two years everyone will own HDTV and BD player.

There is already one in development that bdbdbd mentioned HVD it will contain up to a max of 3.9 TB of space.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_Versatile_Disc

Although its probably at least a decade before we can use this if it kicks off.

TDK has a 200gb BD-R in working prototype.

I'd say the media format will probibally be passed in 4-5 years, but I doubt BluRay will go anywhere because well, using h.264, you can run full 1080p with basically zero loss, at around 100megs/minute. That gives you 500 minutes of ultra high quality 1080p video. If your willing to drop your quality down to extended play DVD compression ammounts, you could fit around 20-30hours of HD content on a BluRay disc. 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

robjoh said:

Actuly I think the HD format is in war against the standard DVD if the transition takes to long time, or no clear winner is coming. If the price for making HD-movies is so high that it won't be financiel sense to make them because of poor sales. The transition might end. Of course I do belive that one of the format will take over, and that for the moment BR has the biggest chanse, I also belive that many of us will wait untill we have a clear winner and when we can start renting HD-movies.

Ahh, but what your not getting is that this war is already making the Next gen formats cheaper. The upside for hd-dvd was supposed to be the factory refitting was cheaper while the media was more expensive. The costly part for blu ray was the factories while the media was less expensive. That transistion is over with. I give it a few months and pressing dual layered blu ray and triple layerd hd-dvd's will be in direct competition with the cost of making a dvd.

You pretty much wont hear any companies complaining about the cost of manufacturing these formats after they have both been in full swing after a year and a half. 

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

yay! first post! anyway, you know, the blu-ray is in my opinion a good advantage IF blu-ray become the new format upon which movies are sold. i remember when the PS2 came out and it played DVDs i thought that was awesome because i was able to play DVDs in my room w/out having to get a DVD player. And it looks like blu-ray is ahead of HD-DVD so in the long run, (in about 2 years) the ps3 will be a huge advantage considering its amazing graphics and the blu-ray capacity. I think everyone's only picking on Sony cuz it DOMINATED the last 2 generations and annihilated XBOX and N64/Gamecube, so it may have had a few bumps but you know what, in the end, itll win the war. Wii is just a fad and 360 is just popular in America and somewhat in Europe. btw, VG chartz rulz! XD

Was blu-ray a mistake? 

No.  Now, blu-ray's introduction into the PS3 has nothing to do with increasing PS3 sales imo, or making bigger and better games, but rather to dominate the high def DVD market.  Sony KNOWS that only a small fraction of its owners even watch HD movies, so it isn't helping the PS3 more than hurting it. 

Once Sony kills off HD-DVD once and for all, they will probably just reformulate the PS3 and make an add-on for it like the 360 has to play high def DVDs

The longer the format war lasts, the less of an advantage PS3 has, IMO. It needs to end it quickly and decisively if it wants the PS3's investment to pay off