By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Was Blu Ray a mistake?

Hus said:

was PS2s dvd a mistake...

dont kid your self... PS3 IS the ONLY reason Br is kicking the shiet out of hddvd, Br wil be a reason PS3 wins in the long run..... perfect long term stratagy.

The difference between the PS2 including DVD and the PS3 including Blu-ray is that, for the PS2, DVD playback was a feature that sold PS2s. For the PS3, Blu-ray is a feature that pushes Blu-ray onto the market. DVD was not competing with another standard (DIVX pretty much killed itself), and the advantages of DVD over VHS were huge. Everyone I know wanted a DVD player, but not too many people I talk to now want a Blu-ray player (or are willing to pay for one). So I agree that PS3 is the only reason BR is currently winning vs. HD, but BR is NOT a reason for the PS3 to "win".

Sony seems to lose credibility and consumer trust every time they turn around. The Blu-ray push just gives people another reason to be pissy.

In response to "That Guy", you can see sales of Blu-ray movies increasing dramatically in the months following the PS3 launch, so yes, it has definitely had an effect.  When you realize that there were fewer than a million standalone players (BR or HD) sold before the launch, and now suddenly there are 3 million PS3s out there, Blu-ray simply has a much bigger install base.

Around the Network

i'm reading about Hybrid formats and players that can read both. Maybe the format war will end the way the DVD-R vs. DVD+R vs. DVD-RAM war ended-- everything plays everything else so it really doesn't matter anymore.

That Guy said:

i bought my DVD player for like 25 bucks. Between that and my computer, I've never had a reason to get a PS2 for DVD playback.

I would argue with you that Blu Ray's performance against HD-DVD is not due to the PS3's sales. Do you have sources to prove that PS3 is the reason why Blu Ray is winning?

look at BR sales after PS3 hits the market... Japan... 5 months after PS3 hit Br has taken 95% of the hd marlet.

Michael Ephraim, Managing Director of Sony Computer Entertainment Australia & New Zealand, said: "The inclusion of a Blu-ray Disc player in the PS3 has also helped firmly launch the new disc format in Australia, with the install base growing over 40-fold in just three days."

That Guy said:
i'm reading about Hybrid formats and players that can read both. Maybe the format war will end the way the DVD-R vs. DVD+R vs. DVD-RAM war ended-- everything plays everything else so it really doesn't matter anymore.

Actually BR plays almost everything. Most movies are only on BR or also on BR. HDDVD has only one major supporter (Universal Studio) - BR has 5 exclusives (the biggest share on the market has obviously ... Sony-Columbia)

There's enough HD-DVD exclusives to piss me off though.  Meaning, I'm not going to start buying Blu Ray yet, because there's a lot of HD DVD exclusive movies that I won't be able to get unless I get a hybrid player.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

Blu Ray is actually losing lately. Go to DVD wars .com,. HDDVD has surged ahead again at Amazon.

In stand alone players, I believe the HDDVD camp said thay'd sold 200k versus 20k for Blu Ray recently. If it wasn't for PS3 Blu Ray would already be dead.

The problem for Sony is they need this BR-HDDVD battle to be over quickly, and it seems to be going on longer and longer, which will force some sort of stalemate.Every day Blu Ray isn't declared the final winner decreases the chances it ever will be.

Universal is providing as many exclusives for HDDVD as Blu-Ray by itself. The very popular TV show Heroes for example, HDDVD exclusive. Also it was recently announced the Matrix was coming to HDDVD first, some technical problem with Blu-Ray.

Toshiba is also slashing the HDDVD price. The problem for Sony is they traded losing the videogames war to win the Blu-Ray war, and now they may not even win that. 

Hus said:
That Guy said:

i bought my DVD player for like 25 bucks. Between that and my computer, I've never had a reason to get a PS2 for DVD playback.

I would argue with you that Blu Ray's performance against HD-DVD is not due to the PS3's sales. Do you have sources to prove that PS3 is the reason why Blu Ray is winning?

look at BR sales after PS3 hits the market... Japan... 5 months after PS3 hit Br has taken 95% of the hd marlet.

Michael Ephraim, Managing Director of Sony Computer Entertainment Australia & New Zealand, said: "The inclusion of a Blu-ray Disc player in the PS3 has also helped firmly launch the new disc format in Australia, with the install base growing over 40-fold in just three days."

http://www.hdtvuk.tv/2007/03/hd_dvd_vs_blura_1.html

nice source, by the way. Getting a quote from a Sony rep. From what I'm reading, Blu Ray is winning by a ratio of 3:1. ::edit:: But, from what I'm reading from that other guy who beat me to the post, its still up in the air.::edit:: At this rate, however, if the success of Blu Ray depends on the sales of PS3, then sony is in a little trouble, considering that PS3 is underperforming.

that brings up an important question, then. What if the hybrid format or the dual players won out?

That Guy said:
Hus said:
That Guy said:

http://www.hdtvuk.tv/2007/03/hd_dvd_vs_blura_1.html

nice source, by the way. Getting a quote from a Sony rep. From what I'm reading, Blu Ray is winning by a ratio of 3:1. At this rate, however, if the success of Blu Ray depends on the sales of PS3, then sony is in a little trouble, considering that PS3 is underperforming.

that brings up an important question, then. What if the hybrid format or the dual players won out?

They are in no trouble at all, even if PS3 underperforms.

dual plaeyrs are a joke ($1200) that almost no one will make, most Movie studios dont support it.

Hus said:

Br pretty much has already won... 3 streight months it has taken 70% of the market,hddvd 30%

Ok, so using this logic, I guess the Wii has 'pretty much won' ? :D or the xbox? :D

Isamu said:
Hus said:

Br pretty much has already won... 3 streight months it has taken 70% of the market,hddvd 30%

Ok, so using this logic, I guess the Wii has 'pretty much won' ? :D or the xbox? :D

LMFAO ... 360 Wii PS3 PS2... Wii has won what... wii has 70% of the market LOL since when.

hddvd launceh months before BR, Br caught up... and is now out selling then atleast 2-1