By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wada clarifies Versus XIII multiplat talk

CGI-Quality said:
jarrod said:
CGI-Quality said:
jarrod said:
CGI-Quality said:

So I'm guessing you'd be cool with Mass Effect 2, SC: Conviction, and ALAN WAKE all coming to PS3, yes?

Honestly, I'd be more surprised if Conviction at least didn't hit PS3 at some point.  Alan Wake and the Mass Effect games are obviously tied up in 1st party contracts though, don't see why those should really be brought up?

Mass Effect is not tied up on a 1st Party contract, contrary to what you have been lead to believe. Where were you during the talk of Mass Effect "maybe" coming to PS3? You think a 1st Party title could even be in question?

I was making a point though. Those were wildcard examples to begin with, but they got the message across.

What talk?  Can you link me, because all I've seen is unsubstantiated speculation based on a few lines of code, some crazy Pachter talk and the usual PR "no comment" from EA/Bioware?  All that's been confirmed is that Microsoft had an exclusivity agreement for the first trilogy before the EA buyout, and no one would comment on if/how the terms of that might've changed post-buyout... if I'm wrong on all this, feel free to source me.

And the "point" seemed misplaced given you bought 1st party product dealings into it (which Versus and Conviction certainly aren't).  It's about as legitimate as bringing up the notion of Heavy Rain or the Pixeljunk series on 360.  It seems a bit irrelevant and inflammatory.

The bottomline, Mass Effect isn't a 1st Party IP, as you claimed it was, though again is it completely irrelevant to the point. You still misunderstand the point too, which also doesn't matter.

I never claimed it was a "1st party IP", I said it was "tied up in 1st party contracts".  It's pretty clearly a 3rd party IP, just like Gears of War, PixelJunk and Heavy Rain.

I'm not misunderstanding your "point", I'm simply poking holes in your flimsy examples.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
jarrod said:
CGI-Quality said:
jarrod said:
CGI-Quality said:
jarrod said:
CGI-Quality said:

So I'm guessing you'd be cool with Mass Effect 2, SC: Conviction, and ALAN WAKE all coming to PS3, yes?

Honestly, I'd be more surprised if Conviction at least didn't hit PS3 at some point.  Alan Wake and the Mass Effect games are obviously tied up in 1st party contracts though, don't see why those should really be brought up?

Mass Effect is not tied up on a 1st Party contract, contrary to what you have been lead to believe. Where were you during the talk of Mass Effect "maybe" coming to PS3? You think a 1st Party title could even be in question?

I was making a point though. Those were wildcard examples to begin with, but they got the message across.

What talk?  Can you link me, because all I've seen is unsubstantiated speculation based on a few lines of code, some crazy Pachter talk and the usual PR "no comment" from EA/Bioware?  All that's been confirmed is that Microsoft had an exclusivity agreement for the first trilogy before the EA buyout, and no one would comment on if/how the terms of that might've changed post-buyout... if I'm wrong on all this, feel free to source me.

And the "point" seemed misplaced given you bought 1st party product dealings into it (which Versus and Conviction certainly aren't).  It's about as legitimate as bringing up the notion of Heavy Rain or the Pixeljunk series on 360.  It seems a bit irrelevant and inflammatory.

The bottomline, Mass Effect isn't a 1st Party IP, as you claimed it was, though again is it completely irrelevant to the point. You still misunderstand the point too, which also doesn't matter.

I never claimed it was a "1st party IP", I said it was "tied up in 1st party contracts".  It's pretty clearly a 3rd party IP, just like Gears of War, PixelJunk and Heavy Rain.

I'm not misunderstanding your "point", I'm simply poking holes in your flimsy examples.

You're being difficult for absolutely no reason, though it's common from you. You'll probably quote me again, since you love the last word, but just accept that your input wasn't needed, and still isn't.

Tantrum noted.  For what it's worth, I agree with your point, you just need better examples to support it (I'd suggest L4D).

I am sure the fan base gets split some not completely. I dont know how many multi console owners bought their ff13 on xbox and not ps3 but i know there are some.

libellule said:
he is just doing damage control to be allowed to reveal a big surprise at MS conference

MS may be angry to have lost the "surprise" of one of their nuclear weapons.

Not as angry as some of the people on here.

Do i think that FFV13 will be put on 360? Yes

Will PS3 still launch first? Yes

Will 360 get a late port? Yes.

Lyrikalstylez said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Lyrikalstylez said:
forevercloud3000 said:
Yea, so when E3 comes I hope we don't hear this announced at MP then. Otherwise Wada I'm coming to torch your house you money grubbing little troll.

I think Nomura is the little fanboy troll

they need to get rid of that guy

really?

they remove the guy so influencial in both both FF and KH series.great idea

Why not, Obiviously the guy is looking out for his fanboyish interests, rather than the companies....So if I was Wada I 'd tell him to

get his act together or shove it

we don't know what happened inside so don't call him fanboyish.

plus even if he is,he has alot of credits to his name and you just can't just fire anybody.even WADA won't be able to fire him as Nomura has alot of ability,whether he is fanboy or not.

he has some privelege to decide which platform he wants to work on.

its like Konami can't live without KOJIMA atm.

Around the Network
Huya said:
V-r0cK said:
Lyrikalstylez said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Lyrikalstylez said:
forevercloud3000 said:
Yea, so when E3 comes I hope we don't hear this announced at MP then. Otherwise Wada I'm coming to torch your house you money grubbing little troll.

I think Nomura is the little fanboy troll

they need to get rid of that guy

really?

they remove the guy so influencial in both both FF and KH series.great idea

Why not, Obiviously the guy is looking out for his fanboyish interests, rather than the companies....So if I was Wada I 'd tell him to

get his act together or shove it

There's always been some success to all of Nomura's work so Wada should really listen to him.  Afterall its Nomura that creates the faces of Square.  If you think anything Square related the first thing will most likely be something of Nomura's work. 

Square's been releasing exclusive RPGs for the 360 and sold mediocre with not high praise reviews, good move on Wada's part?  Why not give PS3 an exclusive try and see how it goes for once.

The way i see it, the end result of sales could really just be the same. Example:

PS3 exclusive released 2011 = 5mil
Multiplat delayed release 2012 = 1.5mil on 360 + 3.5mil on PS3 (lost 1.5mil sales from fans waiting too long and decided to forget about it and just get other good games) = 5mil

Pretty much to maximize sales = release it while its still hype or else people will just not give a dam anymore.

Companies don't have a retry button, when its your biggest franchise ever your not going to gamble and see how it goes. The JRPGs xbox got were mediocre at best if they want to try with PS3 they should make an exclusive mediocre JRPG and see how that goes!

you have to take risk sometimes.they have been taking risks with all their franchises to put on 360 and have scored low sales.

Square atm are getting money to put games on  360 from MS but along with it,they are also degradin their franshisesa but this gen.they also have to look to the future when all their franchises will be degraded the way they are pumping them out on 360 and in future even MS won't pay them,who is gonna put money into Square ENIX then

And you are talking about trying mediocre franchises on PS3,they have already ported 360's  games to PS3 and they have sold better and even FF13 on 360 didn't sell well.

also it just didn't have that buzz that other FF games have had in the past.if a PS3 exclusive then it would get hype and more sales.

and don't tell me FF13 sold well,its sales aren't good compared to a new genration FF launch title and nowhere near the hype and buzz created by FF games.

it was just another game for everybody this time,if you have spare money you buy it or leave it.and it was discounted heavily after the first week

I really wish developers would stop feeding into the propaganda that Multiplatform equals more sales. We all know it to be a lie, proven by the sales of all the Ex PS exclusives that have gone MP. If anything, this generation's need to be MP has caused nothing but problems. They need to be exposed for the true reason for going MP and that is to steal market share for a particular console company, which only incentive for doing so is huge truck loads of cash.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

I see a lot of people say "SE will look at the 1.3M in sales for FFXIII", and I get that. But, how much would a port of FFvXIII need to sell to to take in a worthwhile profit?

I ask that because looking at FFXIII, it's lifetimes sales will be around 1.75M or so on the 360. Now, I think it's safe to assume that Versus would sell less then FFXIII did. For reasons such as the first FF of a generation generally selling the best, its title might cause some to see it as a spin-off and there could be those that didn't like FFXIII and won't try Versus.

So what would the sales likely end up being? 1.25M? 1M? 750k? Keep in mind that FFXII sold nearly 2.5M less then FFX, with the biggest drops being in NA/EU. So what kind of drop in sales could we see with Versus in a possible 360 version.

At what point does it not become big enough of a financial gain to make it for 360 as well?

Stats87 said:

I see a lot of people say "SE will look at the 1.3M in sales for FFXIII", and I get that. But, how much would a port of FFvXIII need to sell to to take in a worthwhile profit?

I ask that because looking at FFXIII, it's lifetimes sales will be around 1.75M or so on the 360. Now, I think it's safe to assume that Versus would sell less then FFXIII did. For reasons such as the first FF of a generation generally selling the best, its title might cause some to see it as a spin-off and there could be those that didn't like FFXIII and won't try Versus.

So what would the sales likely end up being? 1.25M? 1M? 750k? Keep in mind that FFXII sold nearly 2.5M less then FFX, with the biggest drops being in NA/EU. So what kind of drop in sales could we see with Versus and a possible 360 version.

At what point does it not become big enough of a financial gain to make it for 360 as well?

It goes beyond just that even though. Let's say Final Fantasy XIII did remain exclusive to PS3 worldwide. Would it have sold 1.3 million less than it would have with a 360 port? Not necessarily. Many people who bought the 360 version of the game would have simply gotten the PS3 version. Whether because they already had a PS3 and would have prefered to get Xbox Acheivements for it, or would have been willing to buy a PS3 for it. Knowing this, I wouldn't be surprised if the total sales loss of having Final Fantasy XIII being exclusive to PS3 rather than multiplatform would have been under a million.

Seihyouken said:
Stats87 said:

So what would the sales likely end up being? 1.25M? 1M? 750k? Keep in mind that FFXII sold nearly 2.5M less then FFX, with the biggest drops being in NA/EU. So what kind of drop in sales could we see with Versus and a possible 360 version.

It goes beyond just that even though. Let's say Final Fantasy XIII did remain exclusive to PS3 worldwide. Would it have sold 1.3 million less than it would have with a 360 port? Not necessarily. Many people who bought the 360 version of the game would have simply gotten the PS3 version. Whether because they already had a PS3 and would have prefered to get Xbox Acheivements for it, or would have been willing to buy a PS3 for it. Knowing this, I wouldn't be surprised if the total sales loss of having Final Fantasy XIII being exclusive to PS3 rather than multiplatform would have been under a million.

Good point,

That's why I wonder how much it costs to port a game like this to the 360, because maybe the cost/benefit analysis wouldn't reveal a worthwhile port.

If this does happen, I imagine it would be NA/EU only again, which goes back to something I said awhile ago. Which is that Sony wouldn't care too much if FFXIII is on the 360 as long as it remained exclusive in Japan, where they needed the hardware boost a lot more. Also important was having people think Versus was PS3 exclusive during the release of FFXIII, since FF fans would logically get a PS3 as a contingency for Versus, so Sony would get a bigger hardware boost in NA/EU as well. (which they did)